From: Richard Maher on

"Pete Dashwood" <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote in message
> James J. Gavan wrote:
> > I think it would be a joke if somebody suggested we were friends, but
> > for the New Zealander. The last message I see from Bill Klein is dated
> > 2009 Dec 3. <snip>
>
> I am very pleased to report that Bill is alive and well and going about
his
> life.
>
> He hasn't been posting due to some technical difficulties and a busy
> schedule with square dancing.
>
> He tells me there has been a heavy snowfall today where he lives. I told
him
> I was looking at blue skies and 26 degrees... It is indeed a remarkable
> world we live in.

42C today in case anyone's keeping score. And not a COBOLus Nimbus cloud as
far as the eye can see :-(

> No cause for concern, and I hope we'll be able to have his wise counsel
for
> many years to come.
>
> Pete.

Cheers Richard Maher

From: Bill Gunshannon on
In article <7um2goFcf9U1(a)mid.individual.net>,
"Pete Dashwood" <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> writes:
> Richard Maher wrote:
>> "Pete Dashwood" <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I am very pleased to report that Bill is alive and well and going
>>> about his life.
>>>
>>> He hasn't been posting due to some technical difficulties and a busy
>>> schedule with square dancing.
>>>
>>> He tells me there has been a heavy snowfall today where he lives. I
>>> told him I was looking at blue skies and 26 degrees... It is indeed
>>> a remarkable world we live in.
>>
>> 42C today in case anyone's keeping score. And not a COBOLus Nimbus
>> cloud as far as the eye can see :-(
>>>
>>> No cause for concern, and I hope we'll be able to have his wise
>>> counsel for many years to come.
>
> 42 C ??!!!
>
> Are you in Death Valley? :-)
>
> The only place I've ever been where that was fairly usual was India and
> Bangladesh.

Never been to the Gulf Region, have you? I was in Doha, Qatar last
year for a bit. 55C (yes, that's 130F) in the afternoon but it cooled
down to a balmy 43C by midnight. And then there was Djibouti!

bill

billg999(a)cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton |
Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include <std.disclaimer.h>
From: Pete Dashwood on
Bill Gunshannon wrote:
> In article <7um2goFcf9U1(a)mid.individual.net>,
> "Pete Dashwood" <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> writes:
>> Richard Maher wrote:
>>> "Pete Dashwood" <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote in
>>> message news:7ulqh3F814U1(a)mid.individual.net...

>>> 42C today in case anyone's keeping score. And not a COBOLus Nimbus
>>> cloud as far as the eye can see :-(

>> 42 C ??!!!
>>
>> Are you in Death Valley? :-)
>>
>> The only place I've ever been where that was fairly usual was India
>> and Bangladesh.
>
> Never been to the Gulf Region, have you?

Actually, I have, Bill. I stayed at the Phoenicia in Kuwait for about 3
weeks and was in Dubai for about 5 weeks, but don't recall tham as being
particularly hot. I don't rememer what time of year it was but it obviously
couldn't have been Summer. I remember being surprised (and grateful) for the
water coolers every hundred or so metres in Kuwait, which dispensed the most
delicious ice-cold water for free. I found out later it was from a
desalinization plant which produced chemically pure water. As chemically
pure water is odourless and tasteless, they then added trace elements to
give it flavour. The result was memorable.

I was in Doha, Qatar last
> year for a bit. 55C (yes, that's 130F) in the afternoon but it cooled
> down to a balmy 43C by midnight. And then there was Djibouti!

It is the middle of the night here and I have just packed n the programming
and am winding down. Nevertheless, it is very humid and warm and I'll need
tp shower before bed.

I imagine the places you are describing have a very dry heat?

Pete.

From: SkippyPB on
On 25 Feb 2010 13:15:41 GMT, billg999(a)cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon)
wrote:

>In article <7um2goFcf9U1(a)mid.individual.net>,
> "Pete Dashwood" <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> writes:
>> Richard Maher wrote:
>>> "Pete Dashwood" <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote in message

>>> 42C today in case anyone's keeping score. And not a COBOLus Nimbus
>>> cloud as far as the eye can see :-(

>> 42 C ??!!!
>>
>> Are you in Death Valley? :-)
>>
>> The only place I've ever been where that was fairly usual was India and
>> Bangladesh.
>
>Never been to the Gulf Region, have you? I was in Doha, Qatar last
>year for a bit. 55C (yes, that's 130F) in the afternoon but it cooled
>down to a balmy 43C by midnight. And then there was Djibouti!
>
>bill

Spent some time in Bahrain but don't remember what the temperature
was. I lived for nearly 5 years in Bangkok and summers were generally
in the 32-35C range. Winters were a balmy 26-29C. I do miss that
weather.

Regards,
--
////
(o o)

WOODY: "What's the story Mr. Peterson?"
NORM: "The Bobbsey twins go to the brewery. Let's cut to the happy
ending."
--From USA TV Sitcom "Cheers"

Remove nospam to email me.

Steve