From: me on
Grabs some cans of beer, well lager actually, can't stand warm beer, sits
back & waits for the bitchslapping to begin.

From: James J. Gavan on
me wrote:
> Grabs some cans of beer, well lager actually, can't stand warm beer, sits
> back & waits for the bitchslapping to begin.

I'm not rushing at the topic, and I'll say it up front. If you think,
having read it, that I am being grossly unfair, tell me.

PS: When I do have a drink in summer, my preference is lager; although
the very occasional Guinness.

Jimmy
From: Howard Brazee on
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 12:55:55 -0700, "James J. Gavan"
<jgavandeletethis(a)shaw.ca> wrote:

>> Grabs some cans of beer, well lager actually, can't stand warm beer, sits
>> back & waits for the bitchslapping to begin.
>>
>I'm not rushing at the topic, and I'll say it up front. If you think,
>having read it, that I am being grossly unfair, tell me.
>
>PS: When I do have a drink in summer, my preference is lager; although
>the very occasional Guinness.

I wish I liked lager, it is so much easier to find, and even brew
gourmets such as Michael Jackson (not the singer), found it hits the
spot at a summer ball game.

My tastes are towards Belgian ales.

So - I wonder how much of programming arguing is actually backed up
with productivity figures and how much is taste.

It could be hard to find. I've seen a change in expectations of
users over the years from designing a system around the business needs
towards adjusting business to fit the system.

- James Madison
From: James J. Gavan on
Howard Brazee wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 12:55:55 -0700, "James J. Gavan"
> <jgavandeletethis(a)shaw.ca> wrote:
>

>>>Grabs some cans of beer, well lager actually, can't stand warm beer, sits
>>>back & waits for the bitchslapping to begin.
>>>

>>I'm not rushing at the topic, and I'll say it up front. If you think,
>>having read it, that I am being grossly unfair, tell me.
>>
>>PS: When I do have a drink in summer, my preference is lager; although
>>the very occasional Guinness.
>

> I wish I liked lager, it is so much easier to find, and even brew
> gourmets such as Michael Jackson (not the singer), found it hits the
> spot at a summer ball game.
>
> My tastes are towards Belgian ales.

This will make 'Me' upchuck. In fact I like lager and lime. A spot of
syrupy lime juice - Rose's Lime Juice - do you have it in the States ?
Picked the idea up in the RAF with NATO in Westphalia, four decades ago.
Just like the military brought back curry and mulligatawny soup to UK.
Anglicized. "Don't you dare serve me curry with raisins or sultanas in
it !", protests our Sri Lankan friend. (Taking the Indian mainland
continent they primarily rely on spices; in Sri Lanka, spices for sure,
but a fairly major ingredient is coconut milk).

Similarly we Continental based military folks were the prime source of
Blighty switching to a taste for lagers, and light beers. But they sure
turned their noses up at the idea of Rose's. I understand the light
beers/lager are now very popular in the UK, usurping the traditional
ales/beers.

> So - I wonder how much of programming arguing is actually backed up
> with productivity figures and how much is taste.

Quite simply taste. Now shown an alternative way of doing things, and if
I consider it advantageous, I'll happily make a change to the new style.
You'll have to wait - it is not arguing about programming, but
personality clashes.

> It could be hard to find. I've seen a change in expectations of
> users over the years from designing a system around the business needs
> towards adjusting business to fit the system.

There is only one way; the system must fit the business needs, and if
you can catch it at the design stage, allow hooks, where you can, to
expand or adjust the code to their current needs, as they occur.

Jimmy

From: Pete Dashwood on
me wrote:
> Grabs some cans of beer, well lager actually, can't stand warm beer,
> sits back & waits for the bitchslapping to begin.

Sorry to disappoint :-)

My other bitches would be jealous...:-)

Pete.