From: rickman on
On Feb 4, 9:43 pm, TSMGrizzly <sbatt...(a)yahoo.co.jp> wrote:
> > Are there any examples out there of how to route memory chips on a
> > bus? I'm kind of new to routing and don't really know what the
> > strategy is for this kind of thing. I was thinking about this when
> > designing a board to interface to expansion headers on a dev board for
> > a first prototype, but I couldn't think of a way to do it with just
> > two layers, so I gave each chip its own lines in that case since I had
> > plenty of I/O.
>
> Now that I think of it, I suppose I could make the bus connection job
> a little simpler if I take advantage of the fact that RAM is "random
> access," so the address/data line numbers from chip to chip don't
> necessarily have to match up. Then the address/data lines could be
> connected in whatever order is easiest and cleanest, since on the FPGA
> side the data would go in and come out in the desired order either
> way.
> Would this for any reason be a bad design practice?
>
> Steve

are the hardest to design I have found. Sync memories like SDRAM are
a snap really, you just meet the setup and hold times and you are
done! The rest is all just a state machine. Async busses require all
sorts of timing numbers to be checked, I bet you will have over 30
numbers you will need to validate while doing this. If you don't push
the timing to the max it can be much easier.

As to the randomization of the address/data lines, I have never done
that, but others have. On the RAMs it shouldn't be a problem. It
can even be worked around on the EEPROM if you have a program to remap
all the bits in the memory map, but that is such a PITA. Getting your
schematic to optimize the layout without randomization of the lines
shouldn't be a real problem.

Rick
From: TSMGrizzly on
On Feb 5, 2:26 pm, rickman <gnu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > before asking, sorry about that.
>
> I would pick a newer family myself, but there is nothing wrong with a
> Virtex II device.  However, a newer family will be faster, lower power
> and you will likely get better support.  Of course you can overdo that
> too.  If you try to use the newest family, you may not get parts for
> months and the tools may be a bit buggy...  But Virtex 2???  Why not
> Virtex 5 or even Virtex 4?  The Spartan 3 chips are pretty good and
> have been updated quite a bit although  I don't recall which are the
> latest and greatest.  I know the S3 parts are FAPP not recommended for
> new designs (at least by those of us here I expect) and the S3A parts
> are pretty old at this point.  Anyone, what are the newer S3x parts?
>
> If you want to keep the power supply simple, Lattice has XP and
> perhaps XP2 parts that use a single 3.3 volt supply and internally
> drop it to the core voltage.
>
> > So if I need power planes for both of these voltages, do they each
> > need their own layer or can I arrange it carefully in one layer?
>
> Yes, you can use one layer.  I have a very tiny board <1" x 4.5" with
> no less than four power planes on one layer, +12, +5, +3.3 and an
> audio 3.3.  There is another 1.8 volt plane in case I want to use an
> FPGA with separate core voltage inputs, but that plane is on a
> different layer shared with signal traces.  I can't stress enough the
> importance of power planes in keeping switching noise down.  It is not
> just a matter of adding a high frequency capacitor to the power rail,
> it acts as a very low impedance transmission line connecting the
> capacitors to the power pins of the chip.  It is counter intuitive,
> but it actually is not so important to keep the caps so close to the
> chip if you are using good power planes.  BTW, to maximize the
> effectiveness of the power planes (read that as minimum impedance) you
> want to have the power and ground plane as close together as
> possible.  5 mils spacing should be practical and will go a long way
> to doing a good job.
>
> I found doing layout to be fun, but very intense!  Most design
> requires you to go back and forth between specs and data sheets and
> the schematic capture package.  Layout has some up front work getting
> all the inputs and making the footprints, but then it just becomes a
> really complex rubics cube with many possible solutions.  Your job is
> to find one that is pretty good without spending tons of time on it.
>
> When I did my first layout, I contacted a couple of colleges and asked
> them to do a design review with me.  I was willing to pay them
> consulting rates, but I was turned down.  It turned out ok in the end,
> but there were a couple of things that likely would have been caught
> in a review.  I am not very busy right now.  If you would like and
> when you are ready, I'd be willing to go through a design review with
> you without charge.  I'm pretty bored and would enjoy it.

Rick, thanks for all the help, and I appreciate the offer! I might
take you up on it. If you send me an e-mail to the address displayed
here, I can reply with a more useful e-mail address.. I use a kind of
junk-ish secondary address to access google groups because of all the
spam. I'd like not to be on google groups but I don't have a news
server at the moment, and don't know where to go for one..
I have some other things to do (including programming and testing the
first iteration on an already made dev board) so it's going to be a
little while before my layout is ready to go.

I have some reasons why Virtex-II and not something newer, and why
SRAM and all that, and there is a little bit more to the overall
system than I've mentioned though.

As for remapping the EEPROM, I'm not too worried about that because I
was going to whip up a second FPGA configuration just to write the
contents of the EEPROM, so the addresses and bit orders will come out
the same. But yeah I'd rather keep all the address lines as they are.

I probably won't be pushing timing to the max.. the critical thing is
that I can write continuously to RAM on a ~25MHz clock (or maybe I can
afford to go with half that) for a certain period.

Steve
From: Nial Stewart on
> Now that I think of it, I suppose I could make the bus connection job
> a little simpler if I take advantage of the fact that RAM is "random
> access," so the address/data line numbers from chip to chip don't
> necessarily have to match up. Then the address/data lines could be
> connected in whatever order is easiest and cleanest, since on the FPGA
> side the data would go in and come out in the desired order either
> way.
> Would this for any reason be a bad design practice?

Cypress don't even define address and data pin numbers for their synchronous
rams (apart from A0 and A1).

Go for it.

Nial

From: Nial Stewart on
> John,
> I don't think I can get away with only the outer two rows of balls,
> I'll probably need the two inside of that as well-- I was thinking of
> breaking out the outer two on one signal layer and the inner two in
> another, as suggested in the Xilinx app note I saw. It was a tight
> squeeze but they wrote .127mm traces, and .3/.6mm on the vias, which
> is the standard offering of the board house we're using.. it's
> possible to ask for smaller, for an extra chunk of change.

With 1mm ball pitch I use 0.5mm pads, 0.5mm vias with 0.25mm drills.

This is pretty much run of the mill for fab houses and shouldn't
add much to costs.

The first four balls can then be routed out on the top and bottom
layers.

Nial

From: Martin Thompson on
rickman <gnuarm(a)gmail.com> writes:

> BTW, you are aware that the power plane is just as effective as the
> ground plane for determining the impedance.

Yes, but the OP needs to be aware that care can be required when
switching your signal trace from one layer to another. When you switch
to a layer which references the other supply rail, then the return
current has to also switch layers. If the way it has to do that is
via a decoupling cap a long way away then the current loop can be
quite large.

I got Henry Ott's new book just this morning, and he has some
discussion on p630... If you use Amazon's "search in this book"
feature from here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electromagnetic-Compatibility-Engineering-Henry-Ott/dp/0470189304/

and search for "Changing Reference Planes", you can see pp 630-631.

To the OP - ...and then buy it :)

Cheers,
Martin

--