From: thunk on

I've got a lot of serious work to get done, and based on everything
I've just decided to stop my "rambling" here, and get back 100% into
the fun stuff - trying to see how far our mutual girlfriend Ruby can
do at the intersection of my domains of interest.

In the not too far future I can see setting up a Heroku site for the
"Expert Session" so folks can author a boid and see it get Fired! a
few minutes later with his name attached telling the world whatever
when whatever should show up on some constantly running simulator.
Now THAT would anchor the power of this stuff.

Otherwise, I will save you guys any more ramblings and only check back
in a few weeks. No need to insult me. Anybody seeing this that sees
the serious potential can contact me by Email. I've already sent off
screen captures of the Wee based "expert session" and an example boid
to somebody here. The plan is to use our "TheSwarmShepards.com" site
for presenting the technology when its ready.

Thunk

From: Peter Hickman on

Sorry still no clearer as to what you are talking about.

> what is a "boid"? - well, its a text file, its a ruby class

Oh, well then I've been creating boids for years. That is to say that I have
written Ruby classes in text files and yes I too have used DSLs.

Maybe a technical writing course would be in order.

From: Robert Dober on
On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Peter Hickman
<peterhickman386(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> Sorry still no clearer as to what you are talking about.
>
>> what is a "boid"?  - well, its a text file, its a ruby class
>
> Oh, well then I've been creating boids for years. That is to say that I have
> written Ruby classes in text files and yes I too have used DSLs.
>
> Maybe a technical writing course would be in order.

No because than the list will be frequented by James, David, yourself
(I guess) and some others that have experience in this field (sorry
for being bad with names).
Furthermore you do not even know if OP is a native speaker and unless
she is she has much merit for expressing herself in English (and
although OP is probably male I do not like to base my post on this
assumption either, if this is considered impolite I would be very sad
and apologize in advance).

But I would like to make some productive (I hope) criticism too, links???
http://www.red3d.com/cwr/boids/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boids
do those apply?
Thx in advance.

Robert

--
Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous.”
--- Confucius

From: Peter Hickman on

The OP is displaying an excellent command of English and that is good enough
for me regardless of whether they are a native speaker or not (if not then
I'm even more impressed). However the term boids is a known one and the OPs
use of the term does not click with my understanding and I have a degree in
Artificial Intelligence.

It does not seem like a misunderstanding of the term boids, I suspect that
the OP has appropriated the term for something else. But I cannot fathom
what. However I am willing to accept that they have an interesting idea to
express if only they would focus. This place (the newsgroup / mailing list /
forum) is a place for communication but at this stage I have learned nothing
about they they are talking about and the whole burden of communication
seems to be on us, the OP does not seem to be trying to be understood.

From: Peter Hickman on

Sorry I don't know why Gmail is posting things twice