From: Daave on
That implies that you *do* know when the "end of the boot" occurs. So it
is at that precise moment you stop the watch. :-)

Here's the deal: Once Windows is finished loading, any number of other
things might happen that use CPU cycles. For instance, your AV program
might be downloading automatic updates (or might even scan your entire
hard drive if that is how it is configured!).

So, what precisely do you want to know? You could always bring up Task
Manager or Process Explorer if you want to see at what point "things
settle down."

From: Bill P on
No, I don't know when the end of the boot occurs. I do know that things are
still loading after the icons appear in the systray.
It would be nice to know the time it takes for everything to load so that
any changes to the system can be monitored. I read some time ago that there
was an app that loaded an icon on your desktop at the very end of boot but I
have forgotten what it was and how it was applied.

From: Bob I on
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=boot+timer&aq=f&aqi=g3g-m6&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=88232b5a0cfb497

From: williamtell on
Bill, there are a couple of "Time" settings in XP that may be of help.
Try this: Right click My Computer>click Properties>click Advanced
tab>Startup and Recovery click Settings>System startup>Set them where you
want them
HTH

From: mm on
On Wed, 12 May 2010 11:03:38 +0100, "Bill P" <BillP(a)nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>Using win XP home sp3.
>Is there an app that will time how long it takes for a machine to boot up.
>Regards Bill

Why not look in the boot log?

Why not display the boot log as part of the start-up?

Are you using booting as a synonym for start-up?

I sort of doubt that they are synonyms, or that they end at the same
time for many people.