From: Twayne on
In news:Oe1lfqb8KHA.3840(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
Bill P <BillP(a)nospam.invalid> typed:
> Using win XP home sp3.
> Is there an app that will time how long it takes for a
> machine to boot up. Regards Bill

I've never found anything to rival bootvis but I can give you a head-up.
Bootvis, at least in all the people I know who tried it, including myself,
have found it won't work in SP3. Remember, it hasn't had any support in a
long, long time.

From: Twayne on
In news:Oe1lfqb8KHA.3840(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
Bill P <BillP(a)nospam.invalid> typed:
> Using win XP home sp3.
> Is there an app that will time how long it takes for a
> machine to boot up. Regards Bill

I don't know of any that will give you the detail that bootvis used to give.
Google, however, will turn up a bunch of them:
http://www.tipandtrick.net/2008/download-boottimer-to-monitor-bios-boot-up-time-in-windows-system/

http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

http://www.sharewareconnection.com/titles/windows-xp-startup-monitor.htm

It'd probably be worth a trip through the "forge" groups to see what they
have in addition to what Google finds.

HTH,

Twayne`

From: Bill P on
Thanks Twayne. I tried Bootvis but it did nothing for my setup (XP SP3)

Bill

From: Jose on
On May 14, 4:04 am, "Bill P" <Bi...(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Thanks Twayne. I tried Bootvis but it did nothing for my setup (XP SP3)
>
> Bill
>
> "Twayne" <nob...(a)spamcop.net> wrote in message

> > Innews:Oe1lfqb8KHA.3840(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
> > Bill P <Bi...(a)nospam.invalid> typed:
> >> Using win XP home sp3.
> >> Is there an app that will time how long it takes for a
> >> machine to boot up. Regards Bill
>
> > I've never found anything to rival bootvis but I can give you a head-up..
> > Bootvis, at least in all the people I know who tried it, including myself,
> > have found it won't work in SP3.  Remember, it hasn't had any support in a
> > long, long time.

Bootvis works fine in SP3 unless your system is afflicted in some way
that prevents it from working.

If Bootvis doesn't work, you need to better define what "doesn't work"
means. I just ran Bootvis on my XP Pro SP3 and it works fine.

Another popular and revealing tool is Bootlog XP from Greatis:

http://www.greatis.com/

If you want to do a good job of figuring out timings and if
adjustments you make have some influence (in any direction), you need
to come up with something a little more scientific that looking at the
icons and deciding when you think Windows thinks it is "ready".
Remove subjective opinions and unmeasurable things from your analysis
completely. There should be no guessing about anything ever. You
need to know with 100% certainty when the boot cycle is complete with
tenth of a second granularity to be able to see if your adjustments
are helping or hurting things.

If you are getting paid or laid to fix some system that is slow to
boot, you need to be able to say: Before I started, it took exactly
this long to boot and now when I am done, it takes exactly this long
and here is what I did. You can see here after my repeatable tests
and mesurements that things have improved by this amount of time (down
to the tenth of a second).

Then it is easy to justify your $1 a second fee for speeding up
somebody's configuration issues because you can measure it exactly,
give a printed report, etc. Not bad for a usually 30 second system
analysis and "fix" of the slow boot phenomenon.

You could follow the "try a clean boot state and see if your system
boot faster" advice. Well, of course it will boot faster, but what do
you do next? You could also try to "check msconfig for things,
culprits and suspicious items and disabling them" or "try fiddling
with some things".

If you want to get smart about what happens when your system boots,
read this article:

Stop guessing and just trying things that might work maybe and start
measuring and you will have better results.
From: Bill P on
Snipped

"If you want to get smart about what happens when your system boots,
read this article:

Stop guessing and just trying things that might work maybe and start
measuring and you will have better results.

Thanks Jose I will check out the article. I did start another thread
regarding hibernating rather than shutting down and that is what I am doing
at the moment. The resume time from hibernation is incredibly fast.
Regards Bill