From: Van Chocstraw on
What's the difference between booting from the MBR and root / drive?
Which to choose during installation? Default is MBR.
From: Lew Pitcher on
On December 1, 2009 18:07, in alt.os.linux.suse, Van Chocstraw
(boobooililililil(a)roadrunner.com) wrote:

> What's the difference between booting from the MBR and root / drive?

On a PC, "booting" happens in 4 stages:
1) BIOS loads 1st sector of 1st hard disk (the "MBR") into memory, and
executes it
2) the MBR code locates the OS loader on the first "bootable" partition of
the first hard disk, loads it into memory, and executes it
3) the OS loader locates the OS kernel, loads it into memory, and executes
it
4) the OS kernel locates all it's resources, and begins processing

These stages were originally designed for the basic PC, booting PCDOS. In
those days, stage 3 /was/ the OS. In these days of Windows and Linux, stage
4 is where the OS goes.

There are two places where you can insert code to modify this process (i.e.,
to boot an operating system of your choice: in the MBR or in the beginning
of your root partition.

If you place your boot code in the MBR, it replaces the default code. So,
your boot code must be able to locate and load any of the OS loaders that
exist on the various partitions. If you have a Linux-only system, this is
trivial, but if you have a dual-boot system, your new MBR loader must be
able to not only locate the Linux boot code, it must also be able to locate
the Windows boot code that the original MBR would have loaded.

OTOH, if you place your boot code in the "root" partition, either the MBR,
or the code that the MBR loads must be able to locate this boot code and
execute it. Windows NT and followons have a stage 3 loader that can be
customised to load either the Windows NT OS, or a "stage 4 loader" that
then loads some other OS. If you place your boot code in the root
partition, you *must* configure either the MBR boot code /or/ the Stage 3
loader (typically the WinNT loader) to load your code.

> Which to choose during installation? Default is MBR.

Whichever suits your needs best.

If you primarily run Windows NT, with Linux "on the side", place your boot
code in the root partition and configure the WinNT loader to recognize it.

If you primarily run Linux, with or without Windows, place your boot code in
the MBR, and configure it to load your operating systems.

HTH
--
Lew Pitcher

From: paul_0090 on
On 2009-12-01, Van Chocstraw <boobooililililil(a)roadrunner.com> wrote:
> What's the difference between booting from the MBR and root / drive?
> Which to choose during installation? Default is MBR.

Both MBR & the root partition would be the safer choice; doesn't hurt
& would be safer when windows changes the MBR.

e.g. I had installed opensuse 11.2 on the weekend it became available
& winxp was running in dual boot mode. Recently "upgraded" to win7
which was the required "clean install" from 32-bit winxp to 64-bit win7.

The MBR got changed by the win7 install; still was able to get to linux
as I had installed grub to boot from both the MBR & root /.

"Minor problem" is that the Bootpart used in winxp to have multiple
boots doesn't work on win7; & win7 changed the booting process so that
it doesn't use the boot.ini directly but it is "modified" & appended
to whatever the win7 bootmgr uses for booting (bootldr). Will be
looking for a substitute for win7 multiple os booting so that grub
can boot from the MBR again.

hmmmm, haven't checked the windows option on grub to boot win7 as yet;
more things to do to figure out some things about win7.
From: lurch on
On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 02:19:32 +0000 (UTC), paul_0090
<guest(a)really.is.invalid> wrote:

>On 2009-12-01, Van Chocstraw <boobooililililil(a)roadrunner.com> wrote:
>> What's the difference between booting from the MBR and root / drive?
>> Which to choose during installation? Default is MBR.
>
>Both MBR & the root partition would be the safer choice; doesn't hurt
>& would be safer when windows changes the MBR.
>
>e.g. I had installed opensuse 11.2 on the weekend it became available
>& winxp was running in dual boot mode. Recently "upgraded" to win7
>which was the required "clean install" from 32-bit winxp to 64-bit win7.
>
>The MBR got changed by the win7 install; still was able to get to linux
>as I had installed grub to boot from both the MBR & root /.
>
>"Minor problem" is that the Bootpart used in winxp to have multiple
>boots doesn't work on win7; & win7 changed the booting process so that
>it doesn't use the boot.ini directly but it is "modified" & appended
>to whatever the win7 bootmgr uses for booting (bootldr). Will be
>looking for a substitute for win7 multiple os booting so that grub
>can boot from the MBR again.
>
>hmmmm, haven't checked the windows option on grub to boot win7 as yet;
>more things to do to figure out some things about win7.

Use XOSL boot loader. You have to pre-partition the drive, though.
From: Van Chocstraw on
paul_0090 wrote:
> On 2009-12-01, Van Chocstraw<boobooililililil(a)roadrunner.com> wrote:
>> What's the difference between booting from the MBR and root / drive?
>> Which to choose during installation? Default is MBR.
>
> Both MBR& the root partition would be the safer choice; doesn't hurt
> & would be safer when windows changes the MBR.
>
> e.g. I had installed opensuse 11.2 on the weekend it became available
> & winxp was running in dual boot mode. Recently "upgraded" to win7
> which was the required "clean install" from 32-bit winxp to 64-bit win7.
>
> The MBR got changed by the win7 install; still was able to get to linux
> as I had installed grub to boot from both the MBR& root /.
>
> "Minor problem" is that the Bootpart used in winxp to have multiple
> boots doesn't work on win7;& win7 changed the booting process so that
> it doesn't use the boot.ini directly but it is "modified"& appended
> to whatever the win7 bootmgr uses for booting (bootldr). Will be
> looking for a substitute for win7 multiple os booting so that grub
> can boot from the MBR again.
>
> hmmmm, haven't checked the windows option on grub to boot win7 as yet;
> more things to do to figure out some things about win7.

I had to eliminate dual booting on my lap top because Win7 and Ubuntu
would not coexist without destroying each other's booting. I could load
win7 and it worked fine. Then install Ubuntu and it works fine with grub
booting but win7 would no longer boot all the way. It keep rebooting
after the pretty pulsating flower. Then I would fix win 7 and then
Ubuntu would not boot even with super grub. Fix Ubuntu and win7 broke
again. I gave up and have only win7 (as microshaft wants) and run Ubuntu
and Opensuse as virtual machines on win7 host.