From: ahall on

I recently bought an iomega eSata/USB external hard
drive. On the box they touted some of their software
that claimed to be able to create a bootable backup
image on the external hard drive. I googled their
software and it did not sound good.

But I love the concept. Create a partition on the EHD
the same size as the system partition on the PC to be
backed up. Keep an up to date bootable backup on that
partition. Use the rest of the disk for frequent data
backups.

Is there a good software package that could do this for
a 64 bit Win 7 installation?

Thanks,

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> No! Acronis True Image is the worst when it comes to external hard
> drives.

Waitaminute...the OP said the drive has supports a (e)SATA connection.
Nearly every eSATA implementation out there does *not* differentiate between
internal and external devices.

Maybe it won't work well on a USB or Firewire drive (though I used it with
good results when I tried)...don't know about that.

William

From: BillW50 on
In news:CMednT5xfYqr18PRnZ2dnUVZ_jqdnZ2d(a)mchsi.com,
William R. Walsh typed on Sun, 8 Aug 2010 01:09:52 -0500:
> Hi!
>
>> No! Acronis True Image is the worst when it comes to external hard
>> drives.
>
> Waitaminute...the OP said the drive has supports a (e)SATA connection.
> Nearly every eSATA implementation out there does *not* differentiate
> between internal and external devices.

True! But you were pretty generic about raving about Acronis True Image
with external drives in general. And here I disagree with you.

> Maybe it won't work well on a USB or Firewire drive (though I used it
> with good results when I tried)...don't know about that.

Yes USB it doesn't restore on some drives. I have three USB drives that
will and two that won't. And AFAIK there are no lists that tells you
which ones work with Acronis True Image or not. So you have to waste
your money to find out. And that is a very poor solution to the problem
IMHO. And the main purpose for external hard drives for most users is
for backups!

And I just don't understand people supporting such a product who clearly
doesn't care about protecting your backups. They even claim that
changing build numbers could break your backups. What kind of nonsense
is that? Who in their right mind would support such a product?

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2

From: BillW50 on
In news:59mt56taou1dsj05uh805bb9h8snmnhrtm(a)4ax.com,
RnR typed on Sun, 08 Aug 2010 11:21:11 -0500:
>> BTW, I noticed you said TI v12 and that caught me by surprise. Are
>> you sure? I will have to re-read the beta I'm using (I thought it
>> was v.11) and check the Acronis site too.
>
> Let me correct myself ... my beta is TI Home 2011.

Oh okay, that makes more sense. ;-)

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> True! But you were pretty generic about raving about Acronis True Image
> with external drives in general. And here I disagree with you.

What else could I be? My experiences were pretty limited, and that is a flaw
in my theory.

I should know better than to be so optimistic, being in the system
administration racket as I am... :-)

> And I just don't understand people supporting such a product who clearly
> doesn't care about protecting your backups. They even claim that
> changing build numbers could break your backups. What kind of nonsense
> is that? Who in their right mind would support such a product?

"Never rely on just one backup solution" is something I would firmly suggest
for home users as well as businesses. And on that subject, I'd recommend
something like a FreeNAS and rsync (multi-OS availability). They require a
little reading and understanding but once that's done to get the setup done,
but after that they just work. I then do rsync copies from the internal
drive on the old computer to an external one that goes offsite into secure
storage (bank deposit box).

I used TrueImage a few times to migrate data from one drive to another. USB
came into play in systems where more than one drive couldn't be hooked up
internally. In that role it performed admirably.

William