From: Doug on
Rob wrote:
> On 30/03/2010 12:21 PM, Doug wrote:
>> Doc Shenley wrote:
>>> "Doug" <dougea(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Go into the BIOS and look at the list of hard drives. You'll have to
>>> change the order and put the external as number 1. When you've
>>> finished, don't forget to change the order back.
>>
>> Thanks for your reply Doc. I can put the Maxtor at the top of the hard
>> disk boot priority list OK but I cannot find a drive in the boot
>> sequence list that works.
>>
>> Doug.
>>

> It still has to be bootable to work. You still can't just plonk a HDD or
> USB Thumb drive on top of the list without being able to boot off the
> drive.

Thanks for that, I see what you mean.

> These maybe of some help.
>
> http://wiki.eeeuser.com/windowsxpusb
>
> http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-22_11-5928902.html

I will have a good read through them, thanks again.

Doug.
From: Doug on

From: Doc Shenley on

> Doc Shenley wrote:
>> "Doug" <dougea(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I have been trying unsuccessfully to boot Windows XP from a Maxtor
>>> Basics portable hard drive.
>>>
>>> I have a PM8M3-v (MS-7211 v1.x)Micro-ATX mainboard based on Via P4M800 &
>>> VIA VT8327R Plus chipset. Computer purchased in 2006.
>>>
>>> The cmos setup hard disk boot priority list shows USB-HDD0-Maxtor Basics
>>> Portable.
>>>
>>> The boot sequence shows.......
>>> Floppy
>>> LS120
>>> Hard Disk
>>> Zip100
>>> USB-FDD
>>> USB-Zip
>>> USB-CDrom
>>> Lan
>>> Disabled.
>>>
>>> Is there a drive listed that should work or should I give up?
>>>
>>> Doug.
>>
>> Go into the BIOS and look at the list of hard drives. You'll have to
>> change the order and put the external as number 1. When you've finished,
>> don't forget to change the order back.
>
> Thanks for your reply Doc. I can put the Maxtor at the top of the hard
> disk boot priority list OK but I cannot find a drive in the boot sequence
> list that works.

Assuming you've made the drive bootable, as Rob suggests, it should boot as
a hard drive.

From: Will S on
Well you could try a boot manager like GAG from http://gag.sourceforge.net/

I havent tried it yet but when I get my SSD I am going to use it

From: atec7 7 ""atec77 " on
Will S wrote:
> Well you could try a boot manager like GAG from http://gag.sourceforge.net/
>
> I havent tried it yet but when I get my SSD I am going to use it
>
> "Doug" <dougea(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have been trying unsuccessfully to boot Windows XP from a Maxtor
>> Basics portable hard drive.
>>
>> I have a PM8M3-v (MS-7211 v1.x)Micro-ATX mainboard based on Via P4M800
>> & VIA VT8327R Plus chipset. Computer purchased in 2006.
>>
>> The cmos setup hard disk boot priority list shows USB-HDD0-Maxtor
>> Basics Portable.
>>
>> The boot sequence shows.......
>> Floppy
>> LS120
>> Hard Disk
>> Zip100
>> USB-FDD
>> USB-Zip
>> USB-CDrom
>> Lan
>> Disabled.
>>
>> Is there a drive listed that should work or should I give up?
>>
>> Doug.

There are specific copies of windows built to usb stick boot , it's just
a matter of downloading one
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Projector for wildlife talks