From: D.M. Procida on
I want to borrow an iPod, and back it up so that it can be restored
completely to the state it was in when I got it. Then I want to wipe it
and start from scratch with it while I borrow it.

Is that possible? And how can I make sure that I back it up properly
without any disasters?

Daniele
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 22:21:17 +0100,
real-not-anti-spam-address(a)apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) wrote:

>I want to borrow an iPod, and back it up so that it can be restored
>completely to the state it was in when I got it. Then I want to wipe it
>and start from scratch with it while I borrow it.
>
>Is that possible? And how can I make sure that I back it up properly
>without any disasters?

Back it up on the *source's* iTunes, the one it's already associated
with.

Then you can set it up as a new device at home, play with it, hand it
back, and they can restore it from their backup.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex."
-- Marvin the Martian
From: D.M. Procida on
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 22:21:17 +0100,
> real-not-anti-spam-address(a)apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) wrote:
>
> >I want to borrow an iPod, and back it up so that it can be restored
> >completely to the state it was in when I got it. Then I want to wipe it
> >and start from scratch with it while I borrow it.
> >
> >Is that possible? And how can I make sure that I back it up properly
> >without any disasters?
>
> Back it up on the *source's* iTunes, the one it's already associated
> with.

There isn't a Backup button that I can see. Is just synchronising it
enough?

> Then you can set it up as a new device at home, play with it, hand it
> back, and they can restore it from their backup.

And how can I make it start from scratch for me?

Daniele
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 22:48:43 +0100,
real-not-anti-spam-address(a)apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) wrote:

>Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 22:21:17 +0100,
>> real-not-anti-spam-address(a)apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) wrote:
>>
>> >I want to borrow an iPod, and back it up so that it can be restored
>> >completely to the state it was in when I got it. Then I want to wipe it
>> >and start from scratch with it while I borrow it.
>> >
>> >Is that possible? And how can I make sure that I back it up properly
>> >without any disasters?
>>
>> Back it up on the *source's* iTunes, the one it's already associated
>> with.
>
>There isn't a Backup button that I can see. Is just synchronising it
>enough?

Yes.

.... though I'd be very happy to have someone agree with me on this
before Daniele goes ahead, since it's a rather important point and I
don't have a spare iPod to test it with. I'm slightly worried that I'm
thinking of how iPod Touches behave, rather than Ye Olde iPods.

>> Then you can set it up as a new device at home, play with it, hand it
>> back, and they can restore it from their backup.
>
>And how can I make it start from scratch for me?

When you plug it in to your iTunes, you get the option to sync it or
to set it up as a new device. Same proviso as above, though.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Ambiguity Man Strikes Again! (...or /does/ he?)
-- Eric Schwartz, asr
From: D.M. Procida on
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

> >There isn't a Backup button that I can see. Is just synchronising it
> >enough?
>
> Yes.
>
> ... though I'd be very happy to have someone agree with me on this
> before Daniele goes ahead, since it's a rather important point and I
> don't have a spare iPod to test it with. I'm slightly worried that I'm
> thinking of how iPod Touches behave, rather than Ye Olde iPods.

I found that Control-clicking the iPod icon offered a Backup option -
but as far as I could tell it was the same as synchronising. And it is
an iPod Touch, I should have said.

Thanks for your help.

Daniele
 |  Next  |  Last