From: jimdrew on
> > Since SuperCard+ can reproduce this protection (allegedly) then it must
> > be simpler than first glance.

I spent a month on this one program! It requires a special copier just
for it, which does in fact duplicate the true 1/2 tracks. There is a
LOT of head stepping (back and forth) necessary to duplicate that disk.
You have to pre-format the normal tracks before you write the half
tracks from what I remember. The data is spaced like this:

1.0 ---------------***************
1.5 ************-------------------
2.0 ---------------***************
2.5 ************-------------------

The margin of error is extremely small. The original program would
load data, step the head and expect to find the next valid sync mark
within 'x' number of bytes. If it wasn't there, it would retry over
and over. In the copier, I wrote code that is similar to what they use
in the original program and test each track and half-track after it is
copied and repeat the copy if it doesn't pass. Fortunately, the amount
of data was really small for this program. We would have been really
screwed if they usd all of each half-track and had long tracks to boot!

In the last week, I have been hounded by C64 people to provide
information about copy protection due to some C64 emulator(s)? that are
trying to support original GCR/MFM images. What someone needs to do is
write a track dump program to a D64 type image. I might do this. I
just went to my warehouse and found all of the THOUSANDS of C64
products (SuperCards, parameter disks, books, ROM boards, etc.) that I
still have, along with source code and master disks for all of the UUI
products and Copy ][64/128 (which I also wrote). I may throw some of
this hardware up on eBay and clean out the warehoue.

From: Pete Rittwage on
jimdrew(a)frontiernet.net wrote:
> In the last week, I have been hounded by C64 people to provide
> information about copy protection due to some C64 emulator(s)? that are
> trying to support original GCR/MFM images. What someone needs to do is
> write a track dump program to a D64 type image. I might do this. I
> just went to my warehouse and found all of the THOUSANDS of C64
> products (SuperCards, parameter disks, books, ROM boards, etc.) that I
> still have, along with source code and master disks for all of the UUI
> products and Copy ][64/128 (which I also wrote). I may throw some of
> this hardware up on eBay and clean out the warehoue.

The track dumping is already worked out, but maybe you have better ideas
on how it could be done on stock hardware? My MNIB program requires the
parallel port connection to the VIA or 8k extra RAM (original
SuperCard style) so that a whole track can be read at once. These can
be converted to G64 and 99% of games run fine with full protection.

There has been talk about breaking it up and stitching it back together
on the PC, but nobody has shown any code to do so.

It would be great to see your old notes and source for your old stuff if
you are going to sell it.

--
-
Pete Rittwage

C64 Preservation Project
http://c64preservation.com
From: jimdrew on

Pete Rittwage wrote:

> The track dumping is already worked out, but maybe you have better ideas
> on how it could be done on stock hardware? My MNIB program requires the
> parallel port connection to the VIA or 8k extra RAM (original
> SuperCard style) so that a whole track can be read at once. These can
> be converted to G64 and 99% of games run fine with full protection.

How acurate is the CPU clock in the 1541/1571 emulation. I do know
that MANY of the nasty protected games are extremely timing sensitive.
I also know that my own code is that way as well, especially when
spooling GCR data directly from the head. I don't need to look at sync
marks. I figured out a way to clock the data without doing that, but
it relys on a perfect CPU speed, and I had seen some of the 1541-IIs
have a slightly higher than normal CPU speed, like the oscillator parts
were a different brand or tolerence. Also, the sync separator
emulation circuitry would have to be dead on.

What programs will not load? Perhaps I can help determine why.

> There has been talk about breaking it up and stitching it back together
> on the PC, but nobody has shown any code to do so.
>
> It would be great to see your old notes and source for your old stuff if
> you are going to sell it.

I am not sure what I will do with the source code. I have actually had
offers to buy it and the master disks, and rights to all of the
products. Is there really THAT big of an interest in this stuff again?

From: Pete Rittwage on
jimdrew(a)frontiernet.net wrote:
> Pete Rittwage wrote:
>
>> The track dumping is already worked out, but maybe you have better ideas
>> on how it could be done on stock hardware? My MNIB program requires the
>> parallel port connection to the VIA or 8k extra RAM (original
>> SuperCard style) so that a whole track can be read at once. These can
>> be converted to G64 and 99% of games run fine with full protection.
>
> How acurate is the CPU clock in the 1541/1571 emulation. I do know
> that MANY of the nasty protected games are extremely timing sensitive.
> I also know that my own code is that way as well, especially when
> spooling GCR data directly from the head. I don't need to look at sync
> marks. I figured out a way to clock the data without doing that, but
> it relys on a perfect CPU speed, and I had seen some of the 1541-IIs
> have a slightly higher than normal CPU speed, like the oscillator parts
> were a different brand or tolerence. Also, the sync separator
> emulation circuitry would have to be dead on.
>
> What programs will not load? Perhaps I can help determine why.

Hi Jim,

There are a few scattered instances of protections that won't load, but
the one that still sticks out most obviously is RAPIDLOK. We can remove
the track 36 key check, but some games still fail on a track sync check.

Also, some earlier (V2) V-MAX! games still check for something past the
long tracks and track 20 loader. Defender of the Crown side 2 for
example, and the original Star Rank Boxing. Remember anything about those?

--
-
Pete Rittwage

C64 Preservation Project
http://c64preservation.com
From: jimdrew on
Pete Rittwage wrote:

> There are a few scattered instances of protections that won't load, but
> the one that still sticks out most obviously is RAPIDLOK. We can remove
> the track 36 key check, but some games still fail on a track sync check.

RapidLock is one of those that requires precision everything. To
DUPLICATE (not copy mosly and crack the rest as most parameter copiers
did) the protection, you need to use an index hole and line the tracks
up. How do you guys deal with rotational speed and such with the
emulated GCR images? RapidLock expects to find data within a few
milliseconds of a successful head step, which is why some drives don't
load RapidLock until you clean the head rails!

It sounds like to me the reason why RapidLock and Bounty Bob won't load
is that there is no simulation of the rotatiing disk. Do you simulate
the head step time? These are really crucial requirements if you want
everything to work.

> Also, some earlier (V2) V-MAX! games still check for something past the
> long tracks and track 20 loader. Defender of the Crown side 2 for
> example, and the original Star Rank Boxing. Remember anything about those?

Wow.. these were the first of the long track stuff. From what I
recall, you just needed to slow down the drive to copy these. The
first SuperCard (before the plus model) copied these just fine, so they
can't be using track to track timing or anything.

Where can I find these emulations that work with the drive? Is this
done under a GPL? I would be interested in looking at this and helping
resolve the issue.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Fwd: Commodore Free disk magazine