From: Peter James on
I started printing a document, and halfway through the printer stopped
and the printer queue told me that there was no printer attached to the
system.
I donwloaded the Brother drivers and installed them, and now I'm told
that the printer is off-line and I can't reset it.
Using System preferences I believe is the way to do this, but it doesn't
offer me this option.
Can anyone help?
thanks,
Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far
From: Graham J on

"Peter James" <pfjames2000(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message
>I started printing a document, and halfway through the printer stopped
> and the printer queue told me that there was no printer attached to the
> system.
> I donwloaded the Brother drivers and installed them, and now I'm told
> that the printer is off-line and I can't reset it.
> Using System preferences I believe is the way to do this, but it doesn't
> offer me this option.
> Can anyone help?
> thanks,
> Peter

Given your description, some part of the printer has failed.

How does it connect to the computer? USB? Network? something else?

Do you have another printer you can try to check that it's not the interface
on the computer? Can you check this printer by connecting it to another
computer?

--
Graham J

From: Peter James on
"Graham J" <graham(a)invalid> wrote:

> "Peter James" <pfjames2000(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message
> >I started printing a document, and halfway through the printer stopped
> > and the printer queue told me that there was no printer attached to the
> > system.
> > I donwloaded the Brother drivers and installed them, and now I'm told
> > that the printer is off-line and I can't reset it.
> > Using System preferences I believe is the way to do this, but it doesn't
> > offer me this option.
> > Can anyone help?
> > thanks,
> > Peter
>
> Given your description, some part of the printer has failed.
>
> How does it connect to the computer? USB? Network? something else?
By USB cable
> Do you have another printer you can try to check that it's not the interface
> on the computer? Can you check this printer by connecting it to another
> computer?
Yes, I have an old G5 iMac and I'll try that later this morning and
post back here.

Peter

From: Mark Ingle on
Peter James <pfjames2000(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> I started printing a document, and halfway through the printer stopped
> and the printer queue told me that there was no printer attached to the
> system.

Have you tried unplugging and plugging the printer. At work we have a
large number of networked Brother multifunction inkjets and very
occasionally - say once every couple of months - the internal
printserver seems to crash, and one needs to unplug and plug the printer
back.
From: Peter James on
Peter James <pfjames2000(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> "Graham J" <graham(a)invalid> wrote:
>
> > "Peter James" <pfjames2000(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message
> > >I started printing a document, and halfway through the printer stopped
> > > and the printer queue told me that there was no printer attached to the
> > > system.
> > > I donwloaded the Brother drivers and installed them, and now I'm told
> > > that the printer is off-line and I can't reset it.
> > > Using System preferences I believe is the way to do this, but it doesn't
> > > offer me this option.
> > > Can anyone help?
> > > thanks,
> > > Peter
> >
> > Given your description, some part of the printer has failed.
> >
> > How does it connect to the computer? USB? Network? something else?
> By USB cable
> > Do you have another printer you can try to check that it's not the interface
> > on the computer? Can you check this printer by connecting it to another
> > computer?
> Yes, I have an old G5 iMac and I'll try that later this morning and
> post back here.
>
> Peter
I set up the old G5 iMac and found that the printer worked perfectly
with it. Connecting the printer back to the current Intel iMac, it
coughed, stuttered and then printed out the contents of the print queue
that I had been trying to print for the past 24 hours. So it works
again. Quite why I'll never know.

Peter