From: Noob on
Arargh wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 06:45:58 GMT, Brett Davis wrote:
>
>> Bulldozer details + bobcat
>>
>> AMD will sample chips early next year
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1561981/amd-sample-chips
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/12/amd_client_roadmaps/
>>
>> AMD fusions die photo
>> page 45 has a 4 core + graphics, looks to be 1/4th a top end GPU, 400 pipes?
>> http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MjAzMjR8Q2hpbGRJRD0tMXxUeXBlPTM=&t=1
>>
>> Bobcat Core page 15, Bulldozer page 16
>> http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MjAzMTl8Q2hpbGRJRD0tMXxUeXBlPTM=&t=1
>>
>> More Bulldozer page 16+
>> http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MjAzMzJ8Q2hpbGRJRD0tMXxUeXBlPTM=&t=1
>>
>> more
>> http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MjAzMjd8Q2hpbGRJRD0tMXxUeXBlPTM=&t=1
>
> These last 4 URLs all appear to be the same, and go nowhere. :-)

The document in question is

AMD Financial Analyst Day
APU Strategy
Chuck Moore, Corporate Fellow and CTO Technology Development
November 11, 2009

I've uploaded a copy to
http://dl.free.fr/bMjPWZw4s/AMD_APU_Strategy.pdf
From: Robert Myers on
On Nov 13, 4:41 am, Noob <r...(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:
> Arargh wrote:
> > On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 06:45:58 GMT, Brett Davis wrote:
>
> >> Bulldozer details + bobcat
>
> >> AMD will sample chips early next year
> >>http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1561981/amd-sample-chips
> >>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/12/amd_client_roadmaps/
>
> >> AMD fusions die photo
> >> page 45 has a 4 core + graphics, looks to be 1/4th a top end GPU, 400 pipes?
> >>http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MjAzMjR8Q2....
>
> >> Bobcat Core page 15, Bulldozer page 16
> >>http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MjAzMTl8Q2....
>
> >> More Bulldozer page 16+
> >>http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MjAzMzJ8Q2....
>
> >> more
> >>http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MjAzMjd8Q2....
>
> > These last 4 URLs all appear to be the same, and go nowhere. :-)
>
> The document in question is
>
> AMD Financial Analyst Day
> APU Strategy
> Chuck Moore, Corporate Fellow and CTO Technology Development
> November 11, 2009
>
> I've uploaded a copy tohttp://dl.free.fr/bMjPWZw4s/AMD_APU_Strategy.pdf

One wonders who suggested renaming Veterans Day as Financial Analyst
Day. Maybe that's why the document was taken down. What a blunder.

Robert Myers.
From: Brett Davis on
In article <937qf59ms76d1mig5jjd9bohbmj9v4o0fn(a)4ax.com>,
ArarghMail911NOSPAM(a)NOT.AT.Arargh.com wrote:

> >Bulldozer details + bobcat

> >AMD fusions die photo
> >page 45 has a 4 core + graphics, looks to be 1/4th a top end GPU, 400 pipes?
> >http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MjAzMjR8Q2hpbGRJRD0tMXxUeXBlPTM=&t=1
> >
> >Botcat Core page 15, Bulldozer page 16
> >http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MjAzMTl8Q2hpbGRJRD0tMXxUeXBlPTM=&t=1
> >
> >More Bulldozer page 16+
> >http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MjAzMzJ8Q2hpbGRJRD0tMXxUeXBlPTM=&t=1
> >
> >more
> >http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MjAzMjd8Q2hpbGRJRD0tMXxUeXBlPTM=&t=1
>
> These last 4 URLs all appear to be the same, and go nowhere. :-)

I hate it when a database gives you bogus one time use links.

This is the starting link:
http://sites.amd.com/us/atwork/promo/events/Pages/analyst-day.aspx

Next is "Executive Presentations and Webcast Archive", which might work:
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-analystday

And of course all the links on that page are totally non-copyable.
Idiots.

I changed my opinion of Bulldozer, not two cores with shared FPU.
Kind of one core with two separate integer pipes, and code threads.
Actually a lot depends on how wide the fetch and decode is.

For x86 fetch and decode is a large chunk of die space that is mostly idle.
With that assumption you are back to this performing the same as a dual core,
at 2/3rds the die space. Which would be a pretty overwhelming advantage.

Unlike hypethreading this will never cost you performance. And for single
thread benchmarks you turn off the second thread, same as Intel. ;)

Brett
From: Brett Davis on

> For x86 fetch and decode is a large chunk of die space that is mostly idle.
> With that assumption you are back to this performing the same as a dual core,
> at 2/3rds the die space. Which would be a pretty overwhelming advantage.

Here is a Athlon64 die plot:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DigitalMedia/Ath64_die_marked_P.jpg

Biggest block is "Fetch Scan Align Microcode", second smallest is the execution units.
Instruction Cache shared, Bus unit shared, Load/Store unit I am not sure.

So Bulldozer has 2 Execution units, 2 L1 data caches, likely two Load/Store, and
a doubled FPU that is shared. So indeed 2/3rds the die space of two full cores.

If L2 size stays the same the total die size and production cost is ~20% greater
for twice the performance. Overwhelming advantage.

Brett
From: "Andy "Krazy" Glew" on
Andy "Krazy" Glew wrote:
> I can't express how good it feels to see MCMT become a product. It's
> been public for years, but it gets no respect until it is in a product.
> It would have been better if I had stayed at Intel to see it through. I
> know that I won't get any credit for it. (Except from some of the guys
> who were at AMD at the time.) But it feels good nevertheless.

Freudian typo?

It would have been better if I had stayed at either Intel or AMD to see
MCMT through.

But MCMT never took hold at Intel. Apparently it did at AMD.

While I never took root at either company. Not for lack of trying. But
neither was a friendly place.