From: Rich Grise on
On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 11:03:28 -0700, VWWall wrote:

> A while back, in another Usenet ng, someone asked about using an
> ordinary 120V incandescent lamp to slow down a fan motor. A number of
> posters replied that they had successfully done this. The usual
> discussion of the merits of doing this ensued.
> I haven't tried the experiment myself, since I don't have a suitable
> small motor available, and with 120V incandescent bulbs on the
> endangered species list, I don't care to sacrifice even one! Some time
> ago, I did use a series 120V 100W bulb to slow down the compressor fan
> motor in my refrigerator, when the proper replacement was not available.
>
> I have my own theory and can postulate a two terminal passive device
> capable of behaving in this way. (It doesn't even need pre-"charged"
> condensers.)
>
> What say ye all?

It sounds impossible, but motors are inductive things, and there lie
dragons and other things that go bump in the night.

I once blew a 1/4A fuse that was in series with the primary of a Mouser
12.6V, 300 mA or so transformer; I was torture-testing the RS slide switch
at the time, and presumably I switched it right at the peak of the
inductive kick and the line voltage or some such.

But _every time_ he turns it on?

When he does just the motor without the bulb, does it run? What's it
fused at? What's the rated current of the motor? What's the rating of
the bulb?

Thanks,
Rich

From: AZ Nomad on
On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 18:56:40 -0400, Paul E. Schoen <paul(a)pstech-inc.com> wrote:

>"Joerg" <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>

>> As in "charge us with more taxes"? It sure seems like that. That process
>> has already been started. As expected :-(

>It was largely Bush's tax cuts (and his wars) that led to the huge deficit.
>The tax cuts are set to expire soon and if they are allowed to do so it will
>mean a reversal of the present trend and an additional tax burden mostly on
>the most wealthy. Not really an additional burden but elimination of a
>previously established burden that was removed for political reasons.

Pleaes don't feed the trolls.

From: Paul E. Schoen on

"Rich Grise" <richgrise(a)example.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 11:03:28 -0700, VWWall wrote:
>
>> A while back, in another Usenet ng, someone asked about using an
>> ordinary 120V incandescent lamp to slow down a fan motor. A number of
>> posters replied that they had successfully done this. The usual
>> discussion of the merits of doing this ensued.
>> I haven't tried the experiment myself, since I don't have a suitable
>> small motor available, and with 120V incandescent bulbs on the
>> endangered species list, I don't care to sacrifice even one! Some time
>> ago, I did use a series 120V 100W bulb to slow down the compressor fan
>> motor in my refrigerator, when the proper replacement was not available.
>>
>> I have my own theory and can postulate a two terminal passive device
>> capable of behaving in this way. (It doesn't even need pre-"charged"
>> condensers.)
>>
>> What say ye all?
>
> It sounds impossible, but motors are inductive things, and there lie
> dragons and other things that go bump in the night.
>
> I once blew a 1/4A fuse that was in series with the primary of a Mouser
> 12.6V, 300 mA or so transformer; I was torture-testing the RS slide switch
> at the time, and presumably I switched it right at the peak of the
> inductive kick and the line voltage or some such.

Transformers (and other inductive devices) may exhibit high inrush current
which can be as much as the applied voltage / resistance. This is especially
true if you happen to connect it at a phase angle that corresponds to the
last current that flowed, where remanent magnetism has the greatest effect.
A 4 VA transformer may only draw 30 mA normally, but the primary winding
resistance is probably 50 ohms or so, and could draw a surge of 3 to 4 amps
long enough to blow a fast acting fuse.

> But _every time_ he turns it on?
>
> When he does just the motor without the bulb, does it run? What's it
> fused at? What's the rated current of the motor? What's the rating of
> the bulb?

A 120V 100W bulb will have an operating resistance of about 120 ohms, but a
cold resistance of about 12 ohms. Thus it will normally draw a surge of
about 10 amps until it reaches incandescence. A motor can act as a
generator, and if it is a PSC type its capacitor may conceivably for a
resonant circuit which might cause transients high enough to destroy the
lamp.
http://psc-ir.com/FinalPapers09/09-E-ELM-0164.pdf
http://sci.tech-archive.net/Archive/sci.electronics.design/2005-07/msg01555.html

Paul

From: Tim Williams on
Possible if the motor is large (high reactive current) and a suitable
capacitor is placed across the lamp (thus resonating at 60Hz).

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

From: Spehro Pefhany on
On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 04:05:08 -0500, the renowned "Tim Williams"
<tmoranwms(a)charter.net> wrote:

>Possible if the motor is large (high reactive current) and a suitable
>capacitor is placed across the lamp (thus resonating at 60Hz).
>
>Tim

That's not a 2-terminal device though. And we should reject the
pathological case of a motor with a massive flywheel that is
"plugged".

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
speff(a)interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com