From: sarah kent on
Hello All,

I am tring to generate a square wave of 100KHz and 200 volts peak to
peak across a resistor via H- bridge. The current could go upto 30A.

I am looking into two following ways to drive the NMOS ( four NMOS
transistors ) H - bridge.

1.

a. Using H bridge Drivers HIP4081A. I tried to look for the
replacement of HIP4081A but only found A4940 from Allegro microsystems
which a little slower than the HIP part regarding rise and fall time.
According to my understanding the Driver chip has to charge the input
capacitance of the transistors. I am planning to use NMOS transistor
(IRF540).

So, according to HIP 4081A data sheet trise = 10nsec at C= 1000pF and
if power supply = 50Volts (60% of 50V = 30volts) , So, I calculated
(1000pF x 30V) / 10nsec = 3 Amp.

The gate to source charging capacitance of IRF540 is 14nC; So, the
charging time would be

(14nC x 30 V) / 3 = 140nsecs. Are my calculations accurate and in
right direction?

b. I calculated the same things using A4940 and found the following
results

(1000pF x 30V) / 35nsec = 857 mA

(14nC x 30V) / (857mA) = 490nsec.

Which proves that the A4940 is a slower part. But how will it effect
the voltage waveform across the resistive load. I meant to say what
would be the difference between the two waveforms generated by two
different driver chips.

Is there true replacement part available for HIP4081A. The reason for
finding the replacement for HIP4081A are

a. What if Intersil discontinue this part in the future.
b. May be there is a cheapaer part available than HIP4081A.

2. The second method is to use four NPN transitors to drive two PMOS
transistors (High side) and two NMOS (Low Side) transistors.
Microcontroller will provide the PWM pulses to control the 2N2222
transistors. You can find the diagram at the following link.

http://a.imageshack.us/img39/3520/201115.jpg

I am thinking of using 2N2222A to drive two (IRF540N) but unable to
find the PMOS equivalent of IRF540 N. Any suggestions!! Do I need them
of the same ratings?

Please also suggest that H - bridge driver approach is the better
approach or the NPN transistors driving the PMOS and NMOS transistors
is the good approach. I heard that the NPN driving the PMOS and NMOS
is the most efficient way, if yes than how?

Would 2N222 be able to charge the MOSFETS quickly as HIP4081A. What
parameters should I consider before I choose the microcontroller.

This is not a home work. :)

Thanks
Sarah

From: Tim Williams on
"sarah kent" <sarah6541(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> I am tring to generate a square wave of 100KHz and 200 volts peak to
> peak across a resistor via H- bridge. The current could go upto 30A.

AC only, no DC? Variable duty cycle? If so, what kind (balanced ala
TL494 or differential ala class D audio)?

Especially if the supply is line-operated (maybe this won't be an option
for your load, I don't have a clue), I like to drive AC-only, balanced-PWM
loads with a gate drive transformer. This can be driven directly from a
TL598 (or UC3525, or...), or your choice of gate driver (as long as it's
not a complementary emitter follower type).

> I am looking into two following ways to drive the NMOS ( four NMOS
> transistors ) H - bridge.
>
> 1.
>
> a. Using H bridge Drivers HIP4081A. I tried to look for the
> replacement of HIP4081A but only found A4940 from Allegro microsystems
> which a little slower than the HIP part regarding rise and fall time.

Do you have a spec for how fast you need to run? 100ns is fine at 100kHz,
you'll most likely burn more power in conduction than switching. Anything
faster is a bonus, but not particularly useful (and could be dangerous,
due to higher dI/dt forcing improved layout!).

> According to my understanding the Driver chip has to charge the input
> capacitance of the transistors. I am planning to use NMOS transistor
> (IRF540).

Whaaa? Did you read the Vds(max) on that!? 200Vp-p needs a 100V power
supply. That means >150V transistors!

> So, according to HIP 4081A data sheet trise = 10nsec at C= 1000pF and
> if power supply = 50Volts (60% of 50V = 30volts) , So, I calculated
> (1000pF x 30V) / 10nsec = 3 Amp.
>
> The gate to source charging capacitance of IRF540 is 14nC; So, the
> charging time would be
>
> (14nC x 30 V) / 3 = 140nsecs. Are my calculations accurate and in
> right direction?

No, C == A.s, so 14nAs * 30V = 420nVAs == nJ (energy). Divide by amps
gets you Vs, which is flux, not time.

Since C == A.s, 14nC / 3A = 4.67ns. This is less than the rated t_r so it
will be chip-limited, not capacitance-limited.

> Which proves that the A4940 is a slower part. But how will it effect
> the voltage waveform across the resistive load. I meant to say what
> would be the difference between the two waveforms generated by two
> different driver chips.

Likely the HIP is faster. You'd use it if you needed to drive
particularly large FETs particularly fast. If you don't need the speed,
don't put down the money for it. A regular IR2112 is enough for mere
IRF540s at 100kHz. Well, a little sluggish for 100k, more like 50k for
best results, but still not bad.

> 2. The second method is to use four NPN transitors to drive two PMOS
> transistors (High side) and two NMOS (Low Side) transistors.

No. Check Vgs(max). Complementary MOS is impossible over 20V supply
without extra circuitry, which adds enough complexity that you are better
off with a driver chip and NMOS (which work better anyway).

> Microcontroller will provide the PWM pulses to control the 2N2222
> transistors. You can find the diagram at the following link.
>
> http://a.imageshack.us/img39/3520/201115.jpg
>
> I am thinking of using 2N2222A to drive two (IRF540N) but unable to
> find the PMOS equivalent of IRF540 N. Any suggestions!! Do I need them
> of the same ratings?
>
> Please also suggest that H - bridge driver approach is the better
> approach or the NPN transistors driving the PMOS and NMOS transistors
> is the good approach. I heard that the NPN driving the PMOS and NMOS
> is the most efficient way, if yes than how?
>
> Would 2N222 be able to charge the MOSFETS quickly as HIP4081A.

Nope:

2N222
Low Power, General Purpose, Ge, PNP, 70mW, 15V, 12V, 70mA, 85>C, 400KHz,
70, 20T, RCA, TO1

Neato, it's germanium, 400kHz fT. :^)

Typoes aside, forget 2N2222 anyway. Like 2N3055 and LM741, it is ancient
and best left forgotten, thrown to the gutter, on the road of progress.
2N4401/03 are quite reasonable substitutes, and there are numerous others
with even better performance if you insist on rolling your own gate drive.
ZTX651 comes to mind, it's even smaller than 2N4401 yet drives 3A peak
quite easily. TC4420 and similar are quite popular for big jobs (6A peak,
good for monster IGBTs).

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

From: sarah kent on
On Aug 5, 7:09 pm, "Tim Williams" <tmoran...(a)charter.net> wrote:
> [...]
> > is the good approach. I heard that the NPN driving the PMOS and NMOS
> > is the most efficient way, if yes than how?
>
> > Would 2N222 be able to charge the MOSFETS quickly as HIP4081A.
>
> Nope:
>
> 2N222
> Low Power, General Purpose, Ge, PNP, 70mW, 15V, 12V, 70mA, 85>C, 400KHz,
> 70, 20T, RCA, TO1
>
> Neato, it's germanium, 400kHz fT.  :^)
>
> Typoes aside, forget 2N2222 anyway.  Like 2N3055 and LM741, it is ancient
> and best left forgotten, thrown to the gutter, on the road of progress.
> 2N4401/03 are quite reasonable substitutes, and there are numerous others
> with even better performance if you insist on rolling your own gate drive..
> ZTX651 comes to mind, it's even smaller than 2N4401 yet drives 3A peak
> quite easily.  TC4420 and similar are quite popular for big jobs (6A peak,

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have following questions

1. Why complementary MOSFET scheme can not work with power supply
greater than 20 Volts?
2. Is there a way that I can generate the sine wave of 200 volts peak
to peak at 100KHz with out using H bridge driver or four MOSFETS?

Sarah
From: John Larkin on
On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 13:26:13 -0700 (PDT), sarah kent
<sarah6541(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>I am tring to generate a square wave of 100KHz and 200 volts peak to
>peak across a resistor via H- bridge. The current could go upto 30A.
>

>I am looking into two following ways to drive the NMOS ( four NMOS
>transistors ) H - bridge.
>
>1.
>
>a. Using H bridge Drivers HIP4081A. I tried to look for the
>replacement of HIP4081A but only found A4940 from Allegro microsystems
>which a little slower than the HIP part regarding rise and fall time.
>According to my understanding the Driver chip has to charge the input
>capacitance of the transistors. I am planning to use NMOS transistor
>(IRF540).
>
>So, according to HIP 4081A data sheet trise = 10nsec at C= 1000pF and
>if power supply = 50Volts (60% of 50V = 30volts) , So, I calculated
>(1000pF x 30V) / 10nsec = 3 Amp.
>
>The gate to source charging capacitance of IRF540 is 14nC; So, the
>charging time would be
>
>(14nC x 30 V) / 3 = 140nsecs. Are my calculations accurate and in
>right direction?
>
>b. I calculated the same things using A4940 and found the following
>results
>
>(1000pF x 30V) / 35nsec = 857 mA
>
>(14nC x 30V) / (857mA) = 490nsec.
>
>Which proves that the A4940 is a slower part. But how will it effect
>the voltage waveform across the resistive load. I meant to say what
>would be the difference between the two waveforms generated by two
>different driver chips.
>
>Is there true replacement part available for HIP4081A. The reason for
>finding the replacement for HIP4081A are
>
>a. What if Intersil discontinue this part in the future.
>b. May be there is a cheapaer part available than HIP4081A.
>
>2. The second method is to use four NPN transitors to drive two PMOS
>transistors (High side) and two NMOS (Low Side) transistors.
>Microcontroller will provide the PWM pulses to control the 2N2222
>transistors. You can find the diagram at the following link.
>
>http://a.imageshack.us/img39/3520/201115.jpg
>
>I am thinking of using 2N2222A to drive two (IRF540N) but unable to
>find the PMOS equivalent of IRF540 N. Any suggestions!! Do I need them
>of the same ratings?
>
>Please also suggest that H - bridge driver approach is the better
>approach or the NPN transistors driving the PMOS and NMOS transistors
>is the good approach. I heard that the NPN driving the PMOS and NMOS
>is the most efficient way, if yes than how?
>
>Would 2N222 be able to charge the MOSFETS quickly as HIP4081A. What
>parameters should I consider before I choose the microcontroller.
>
>This is not a home work. :)
>
>Thanks
>Sarah

One conservative way to do this is to use fast isolated mosfet
drivers, like the Avago parts maybe, and power them from cheap dc/dc
converters.

John

From: CIC on
On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 17:33:56 -0700 (PDT), sarah kent
<sarah6541(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> 2N4401/03 are quite reasonable substitutes, and there are numerous others
>> with even better performance if you insist on rolling your own gate drive.
>> ZTX651 comes to mind, it's even smaller than 2N4401 yet drives 3A peak
>> quite easily. �TC4420 and similar are quite popular for big jobs (6A peak,
>> good for monster IGBTs).
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> --
>> Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
>> Website:http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms
>
>Hi,
>
>Thanks for the reply.
>
>I have following questions
>
>1. Why complementary MOSFET scheme can not work with power supply
>greater than 20 Volts?
>2. Is there a way that I can generate the sine wave of 200 volts peak
>to peak at 100KHz with out using H bridge driver or four MOSFETS?

1. Yes the complementary MOSFET's can work with voltages above 20V,
just need to drive them right.

2. You can use an wide bandwidth liner amplifier and a signal
generator. Some amps already have output transformers with various
taps so you can get different output voltages.
You probably can rent one amp for about $1500/mo.