From: VWWall on
A while back, in another Usenet ng, someone asked about using an
ordinary 120V incandescent lamp to slow down a fan motor. A number of
posters replied that they had successfully done this. The usual
discussion of the merits of doing this ensued.

Then, one frequent poster replied that he had tried this with a small AC
motor, and the 120V bulb, in series with the motor, burned out when the
circuit was completed.

There was much discussion, with many saying that it was impossible for
any two terminal passive device in series with a 120V incandescent bulb
on a 120V circuit to cause that bulb to burn out.

Some even set up Spice simulations which were difficult because of the
large variation in the bulb's resistance from cold to fully "on". The
OP was asked to repeat the experiment, which he did several times, with
the same results of the bulb burning out.

The final conclusion, perhaps not shared by all, was that it was
possible for a passive device to act in this way. One poster even
showed Spice results with an increase in line current due to motor
inductance. It was never proved that this increase was enough to cause
the bulb to fail.

I haven't tried the experiment myself, since I don't have a suitable
small motor available, and with 120V incandescent bulbs on the
endangered species list, I don't care to sacrifice even one! Some time
ago, I did use a series 120V 100W bulb to slow down the compressor fan
motor in my refrigerator, when the proper replacement was not available.

I have my own theory and can postulate a two terminal passive device
capable of behaving in this way. (It doesn't even need pre-"charged"
condensers.)

What say ye all?

--
Virg Wall, P.E.
From: Jim Thompson on
On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 11:03:28 -0700, VWWall <vwall(a)large.invalid>
wrote:

>A while back, in another Usenet ng, someone asked about using an
>ordinary 120V incandescent lamp to slow down a fan motor. A number of
>posters replied that they had successfully done this. The usual
>discussion of the merits of doing this ensued.
>
>Then, one frequent poster replied that he had tried this with a small AC
>motor, and the 120V bulb, in series with the motor, burned out when the
>circuit was completed.
>
>There was much discussion, with many saying that it was impossible for
>any two terminal passive device in series with a 120V incandescent bulb
>on a 120V circuit to cause that bulb to burn out.
>
>Some even set up Spice simulations which were difficult because of the
>large variation in the bulb's resistance from cold to fully "on". The
>OP was asked to repeat the experiment, which he did several times, with
>the same results of the bulb burning out.
>
>The final conclusion, perhaps not shared by all, was that it was
>possible for a passive device to act in this way. One poster even
>showed Spice results with an increase in line current due to motor
>inductance. It was never proved that this increase was enough to cause
>the bulb to fail.
>
>I haven't tried the experiment myself, since I don't have a suitable
>small motor available, and with 120V incandescent bulbs on the
>endangered species list, I don't care to sacrifice even one! Some time
>ago, I did use a series 120V 100W bulb to slow down the compressor fan
>motor in my refrigerator, when the proper replacement was not available.
>
>I have my own theory and can postulate a two terminal passive device
>capable of behaving in this way. (It doesn't even need pre-"charged"
>condensers.)
>
>What say ye all?

Having burned myself seriously as a kid, using an Erector Set motor
winding to blow flashbulbs (�), I can assure you that a bouncing
contact will do it ;-)

(�) The flashbulb (Press 25) melted over my finger :-(

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Spice is like a sports car...
Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.
From: VWWall on
Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 11:03:28 -0700, VWWall <vwall(a)large.invalid>
> wrote:

<snip>
>> The final conclusion, perhaps not shared by all, was that it was
>> possible for a passive device to act in this way. One poster even
>> showed Spice results with an increase in line current due to motor
>> inductance. It was never proved that this increase was enough to cause
>> the bulb to fail.

<snip>
>> I have my own theory and can postulate a two terminal passive device
>> capable of behaving in this way. (It doesn't even need pre-"charged"
>> condensers.)
>>
>> What say ye all?
>
> Having burned myself seriously as a kid, using an Erector Set motor
> winding to blow flashbulbs (�), I can assure you that a bouncing
> contact will do it ;-)
>
> (�) The flashbulb (Press 25) melted over my finger :-(
>
> ...Jim Thompson

Not quite the same thing. I have had #25 flash bulbs go off in my
pocket from EMF radiated by trolley lines. An ordinary incandescent
bulb requires much more energy to cause its filament to burn out.

--
Virg Wall, P.E.

(Correct signature delimiter is "-- CR", i.e. "--(space)CR"...)
From: Jim Thompson on
On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 12:02:27 -0700, VWWall <vwall(a)large.invalid>
wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote:
>> On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 11:03:28 -0700, VWWall <vwall(a)large.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
><snip>
>>> The final conclusion, perhaps not shared by all, was that it was
>>> possible for a passive device to act in this way. One poster even
>>> showed Spice results with an increase in line current due to motor
>>> inductance. It was never proved that this increase was enough to cause
>>> the bulb to fail.
>>>
><snip>
>>> I have my own theory and can postulate a two terminal passive device
>>> capable of behaving in this way. (It doesn't even need pre-"charged"
>>> condensers.)
>>>
>>> What say ye all?
>>
>> Having burned myself seriously as a kid, using an Erector Set motor
>> winding to blow flashbulbs (�), I can assure you that a bouncing
>> contact will do it ;-)
>>
>> (�) The flashbulb (Press 25) melted over my finger :-(
>>
>> ...Jim Thompson
>
>Not quite the same thing. I have had #25 flash bulbs go off in my
>pocket from EMF radiated by trolley lines. An ordinary incandescent
>bulb requires much more energy to cause its filament to burn out.

I don't know. Is charge conserved ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

From: Joerg on
Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 12:02:27 -0700, VWWall <vwall(a)large.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Jim Thompson wrote:
>>> On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 11:03:28 -0700, VWWall <vwall(a)large.invalid>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>> <snip>
>>>>
>> <snip>

>>> Having burned myself seriously as a kid, using an Erector Set motor
>>> winding to blow flashbulbs (†), I can assure you that a bouncing
>>> contact will do it ;-)
>>>
>>> (†) The flashbulb (Press 25) melted over my finger :-(
>>>
>>> ...Jim Thompson
>> Not quite the same thing. I have had #25 flash bulbs go off in my
>> pocket from EMF radiated by trolley lines. An ordinary incandescent
>> bulb requires much more energy to cause its filament to burn out.
>
> I don't know. Is charge conserved ?:-)

Nowadays charge doesn't need to be conserved anymore, that's so
yesterday. You just print new charge. And if that ain't enough you
borrow some charge. If that still isn't enough you go into closed-door
meetings with some bankers and leverage the leverage, a derivative
scheme that can make 15 charges out of one real charge. Some folks on
the hills are also quite good at that. Plus the bankers will make all
the charge that had gone bad over the years look like new charge and
repackage it for ya, with AAA rating and all the trimmings. Of course,
the one real charge you walked in with will be required as a fee, so the
proper charge bonus can be paid out later. Not to you, of course ...

--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.