From: yoxoman on
Hello,

I was asking myself about the kind of optimization that permitted bus
frequency speed increase on motherboards through history (ISA, PCI, AGP,
PCI-Express...) ?

- Material quality of connections between component ?
- Spatial considerations ?
- Increase of information quantity playing with clock ?
- Anything else ?

In particular, is it possible to play with the material quality used on
motherboard (or any card) for connection between components to increase
performance, or is it optimal yet ?

Thanks.
From: Del Cecchi on

"yoxoman" <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I was asking myself about the kind of optimization that permitted
> bus
> frequency speed increase on motherboards through history (ISA, PCI,
> AGP,
> PCI-Express...) ?
>
> - Material quality of connections between component ?
> - Spatial considerations ?
> - Increase of information quantity playing with clock ?
> - Anything else ?
>
> In particular, is it possible to play with the material quality used
> on
> motherboard (or any card) for connection between components to
> increase
> performance, or is it optimal yet ?
>
> Thanks.

The mother board material is important at high frequency. see "loss
tangent".

Gore makes the very best board material out of GoreTex.
(they can send me a rainsuit for the plug. :-) )

Only problem is Goretex boards are difficult to manufacture, and are
expensive.

Epoxy fiberglass isn't bad if you buy the right stuff.

Circuits getting a lot faster was a big help.