From: Mark Hobley on
Tony Houghton <h(a)realh.co.uk> wrote:

> It could backfire if MS had any true competition with an effective
> marketing department.

Yeah Microsoft have created barriers to entry and this is at least immoral,
and hopefully this is also illegal.

I had developed a windowing system engine back in the 80s. It was way superior
to that crappy one from America, although I never got round to releasing it.
I was shocked that people started buying that crappy one.

I went to buy a colour printer, and asked the shop to check that the
programming codes were in the manual.

The shop said "it comes with windows drivers". I told them that I was not
using windows, and that I needed the control codes, so that I could drive
the printer from my own software. They told me I needed to contact Hewlett
Packard to obtain a software development kit.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: Martin Gregorie on
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 05:25:45 +0000, Mark Hobley wrote:

> The shop said "it comes with windows drivers". I told them that I was
> not using windows, and that I needed the control codes, so that I could
> drive the printer from my own software. They told me I needed to contact
> Hewlett Packard to obtain a software development kit.

A good thing about HP Laserjets (and maybe other HP printers too) is that
they all talk PCL. Later printers use a true superset of the PCL used by
the earlier, simpler ones. IOW the latest Laserjet can be driven by a LJ2
driver.

Same goes for any Epson that uses Esc/P codes - I've driven both 24 pin
LQ printers and Colour Stylus 850C printers from a program that was
written for an MX-80. No problems at all.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: alexd on
On 25/03/10 09:26, chris wrote:

> ies4linux is a good option for running IE on Linux if you have to use it.

I find on my laptop that ies4linux eats RAM so quickly, that it uses
more RAM than it costs me to run XP in Virtualbox, if I use it for more
than a few minutes.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
21:10:58 up 51 days, 12 min, 3 users, load average: 0.74, 0.26, 0.16
From: Martin Gregorie on
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 23:07:35 +0000, Ivor Jones wrote:

> On 26/03/10 10:59, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 05:25:45 +0000, Mark Hobley wrote:
>>
>>> The shop said "it comes with windows drivers". I told them that I was
>>> not using windows, and that I needed the control codes, so that I
>>> could drive the printer from my own software. They told me I needed to
>>> contact Hewlett Packard to obtain a software development kit.
>>>
>> A good thing about HP Laserjets (and maybe other HP printers too) is
>> that they all talk PCL. Later printers use a true superset of the PCL
>> used by the earlier, simpler ones. IOW the latest Laserjet can be
>> driven by a LJ2 driver.
>
> I use HPLIP. Works fine with Fedora 12 and my CLJ 2605dn.

I normally use an LJ5 on my server, which currently runs F10 until I find
the time to upgrade to F12, but recently I wanted to print a refusal for
for the NHS PCR take-on. If you've ever seen this POS you'll know why[1]
I couldn't handle it with the LJ5, so I connected up an Epson LQ-550. F10
CUPS doesn't offer a driver for it, but I soon found that the generic
Epson 24 pin driver worked once I boosted the print resolution (to
360x360 IIRC).

[1] the bloody people make refusal as difficult as possible. Include the
form with the info pack? Noooo - you have to find and download it. Then
you find its printed in ash grey using a typeface and size carefully
designed to make the already unreadably faint captions unreadably jaggy
as well. BTW, they insist you use their form or your opt-out will be
ignored. Its text was so faint that the LJ5 couldn't handle it, hence
digging out the Epson which can't print that faintly, so did a good job.

I also have an ancient Microware OS-9 system running the Sculptor 4GL
system. Years ago I set up HP LJ2 and Epson MX-80 printer descriptions
for it. These produce excellent, if basic, results on (respectively) the
LJ5 and the LQ-550. I've also had equally good results from an Epson
Stylus 850C using the MX-80 description.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Simon Brooke on
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 16:33:29 +0000, Poster Matt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm intending to buy a new laptop and install Linux on it. Searching
> around I've found it very hard to find a laptop for sale with no
> operating system on it. In fact a company called Novatech (which I've
> used before) is the only one I can find.
>
> Are there any other companies that you guys know of that sell OS free
> laptops? It seems to me that there's a good chance that I will be forced
> to pay for Windows even though I don't want it, a kind of Microsoft tax
> achievable only as a result of their tremendous market dominance.
>
> Secondly - are there any laptop specific things I should keep in mind
> when buying a laptop to install Linux on? Driver or hardware issues and
> such like? I've never installed Linux on a laptop before.
>
> Finally are there any specific Linux distributions that I should think
> about using or ones that I should avoid?
>
> Many thanks and regards, etc..

Seriously, why not buy a Dell (or other) with Linux pre-installed? It may
not be the distro you want (Dell are still shipping Ubuntu Hardy Heron)
but it does at least signal the market that people want Linux - and you
also know that all the hardware on your laptop is supported.

--

;; Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundam variat

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: Virtualization Help Request
Next: Self-hosted Gmail clone