From: Helmut Jarausch on
On 05/08/10 19:20, santosh wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am thinking of picking up C++.
> Just wondering which is the best compiler that I should go for? Any
> help.

A nice and free option is to use the recent
CodeLite IDE (http://www.codelite.org/)
on Linux as well as on Windows (via MinGW)

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

From: cpp4ever on
On 05/11/2010 03:19 PM, Frank Buss wrote:
> santosh wrote:
>
>> I am thinking of picking up C++.
>> Just wondering which is the best compiler that I should go for? Any
>> help.
>> My main application is in computational finance.
>
> If you need to display some of your finance data, you might want to take a
> look at Qt. The Qt Creator IDE (integrated in the Windows installer, but
> works in Linux, too) is really nice and you can use it for standard C++
> programming, too.

Certainly if any GUI components of your C++ needs to be cross platform
then Qt is probably your best choice IMHO. Qt has plenty of examples and
the documentation is better than most. Unfortunately I couldn't get
codeblocks IDE to work with Qt4 under Linux, so I've never really tried
using it.

If you have no GUI or cross platform requirements then choose what suits
you best.

If you intend being cross platform without any GUI requirements then
using gcc will hopefully simplify building across platforms.

Naturally as a Linux user I'm utterly biased.

JB

From: Frank Buss on
Sheru wrote:

> If you are using Windows then Visual Studio Express editions are
> pretty good.

You are right, Visual Studio is the standard for Windows and the IDE is
really good, but I would not recommend to use Windows GDI or MFC for a C++
beginner. For a lighter GUI framework than Qt, the wxWidgets framework is
nice, which works with Visual Studio, too. E.g. in about 70 kB source code
you can implement an address editor in Excel style (wxWindows was the old
name of wxWidgets), without all the wizard generated macro code of MFC or
the low-level programming of Windows GDI:

http://www.frank-buss.de/wxwindows/AddressManager.html

> In Unix/Linux I personally like Code::Blocks IDE with gcc/
> g++ compiler.

Thanks, looks interesting and works for Windows and Mac, too. Of course,
for Mac the standard would be Xcode.

--
Frank Buss, fb(a)frank-buss.de

From: Jesse Perla on
On May 13, 2:42 pm, Helmut Jarausch <jarau...(a)igpm.rwth-aachen.de>
wrote:

> A nice and free option is to use the recent
> CodeLite IDE (http://www.codelite.org/)
> on Linux as well as on Windows (via MinGW)

Forgive me reasking an extended version of this question:

On windows, I am using the following set of tools:
* TortoiseSVN
* CMake to generate all project files
* Intel C++11.1 or MSVC10 for compiler. Compiling using nmake/VS2008
for intel.
* Visual Studio2010 for IDE (used to use VisualAssist, but hasn't
seemed necessary for latest VS)
* Integrated VS2010 debugger/IDE. Which is amazing if people haven't
tried it.

When I move to linux, which set of tools can I use to get as close to
an equivalent environment generated by CMake? I intend to use intel
11.1 and G++4.5, with a lot of the C++0X functionality, heavy
boost use, and no GUIs.

In particular, I love the integrated IDE for VS2010 with the ability
to doubleclick on compile errors to be brought to the offending file,
integrated debugger, intellisense with C++0X support, etc. I am not a
professional developer, so I would prefer a slightly more IDE friendly
environment than a hardcore command-line approach. Last, I will be
doing a lot of MPI work, so any hints on the best dev/debugging
environment for that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jesse

From: malbito on
On May 22, 3:11 pm, Jesse Perla <jessepe...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 13, 2:42 pm, Helmut Jarausch <jarau...(a)igpm.rwth-aachen.de>
> wrote:
>
> > A nice and free option is to use the recent
> > CodeLite IDE (http://www.codelite.org/)
> > on Linux as well as on Windows (via MinGW)
>
> Forgive me reasking an extended version of this question:
>
> On windows, I am using the following set of tools:
> * TortoiseSVN
> * CMake to generate all project files
> * Intel C++11.1 or MSVC10 for compiler. Compiling using nmake/VS2008
> for intel.
> * Visual Studio2010 for IDE (used to use VisualAssist, but hasn't
> seemed necessary for latest VS)
> * Integrated VS2010 debugger/IDE. Which is amazing if people haven't
> tried it.
>
> When I move to linux, which set of tools can I use to get as close to
> an equivalent environment generated by CMake? I intend to use intel
> 11.1 and G++4.5, with a lot of the C++0X functionality, heavy
> boost use, and no GUIs.
>
> In particular, I love the integrated IDE for VS2010 with the ability
> to doubleclick on compile errors to be brought to the offending file,
> integrated debugger, intellisense with C++0X support, etc. I am not a
> professional developer, so I would prefer a slightly more IDE friendly
> environment than a hardcore command-line approach. Last, I will be
> doing a lot of MPI work, so any hints on the best dev/debugging
> environment for that would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Jesse

I use emacs and the regular command line GDB or DDD on top of GDB.
you can download endless plugins that will do all the intellisence for
you etc..