From: santosh on
Hello All,

I am thinking of picking up C++.
Just wondering which is the best compiler that I should go for? Any
help.
My main application is in computational finance.

Thank you.

{ Bjarne Stroustrup maintains an incomplete list of C++ compilers at
<http://www.research.att.com/~bs/compilers.html>. -mod/sk }

From: Martin B. on
santosh wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am thinking of picking up C++.
> Just wondering which is the best compiler that I should go for? Any
> help.
> My main application is in computational finance.
>
> Thank you.

If you are developing on Windows, I would recommend Visual C++ 2010 Express edition.

br,
Martin

From: Helge Kruse on

"santosh" <santosh.srinivas(a)gmail.com> wrote in message news:032ec8b9-cabf-45c4-9820-a6d2b9067860(a)h9g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...
> I am thinking of picking up C++.
> Just wondering which is the best compiler that I should go for? Any
> help.

Choose a compiler that runs well in your operation system.
Don't use Visual Studio for Linux or Mac. ;-)
I would choose a compiler with a sufficient IDE and a good help system.

Helge

From: Frank Buss on
santosh wrote:

> I am thinking of picking up C++.
> Just wondering which is the best compiler that I should go for? Any
> help.
> My main application is in computational finance.

If you need to display some of your finance data, you might want to take a
look at Qt. The Qt Creator IDE (integrated in the Windows installer, but
works in Linux, too) is really nice and you can use it for standard C++
programming, too.

--
Frank Buss, fb(a)frank-buss.de

From: Sheru on
On May 11, 10:19 am, Frank Buss <f...(a)frank-buss.de> wrote:
> santosh wrote:
> > I am thinking of picking up C++.
> > Just wondering which is the best compiler that I should go for? Any
> > help.
> > My main application is in computational finance.
>
> If you need to display some of your finance data, you might want to take a
> look at Qt. The Qt Creator IDE (integrated in the Windows installer, but
> works in Linux, too) is really nice and you can use it for standard C++
> programming, too.

{ quoted signature and banner removed; please do it yourself. -mod }

If you are using Windows then Visual Studio Express editions are
pretty good. In Unix/Linux I personally like Code::Blocks IDE with gcc/
g++ compiler.