From: aaron on
C# project questions:

1. In a C#.net solution that was maintained by a team of programmers, is
there a way to tell how to get the build to locate no errors when it is
compiled. Basically I would like to know the order of items to try to get a
large solution to compile.
**I am asking that question since the programmers that worked on this large
application have moved on to other programming teams in the company. I am
told that this C#.net 2008 application did compile clean 6 months ago and no
changes have been made to the application.
Basically are there some suggestions you have on what to try to get the
compile errors/warnings to decrease?
2. How can you tell the manner of how different projects within the same
solution communicate with each other? Basically are delegates used,linq,
DLLs, used?
From: Arne Vajhøj on
On 27-06-2010 14:01, aaron wrote:
> C# project questions:
>
> 1. In a C#.net solution that was maintained by a team of programmers, is
> there a way to tell how to get the build to locate no errors when it is
> compiled. Basically I would like to know the order of items to try to get a
> large solution to compile.
> **I am asking that question since the programmers that worked on this large
> application have moved on to other programming teams in the company. I am
> told that this C#.net 2008 application did compile clean 6 months ago and no
> changes have been made to the application.
> Basically are there some suggestions you have on what to try to get the
> compile errors/warnings to decrease?

Fix the problems in the code.

> 2. How can you tell the manner of how different projects within the same
> solution communicate with each other? Basically are delegates used,linq,
> DLLs, used?

Look at the code.

Arne

PS: Yes - that was two cynical answers. But there are no magic in
programming - it is hard work.

From: J.B. Moreno on
aaron <aaron(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> C# project questions:
>
> 1. In a C#.net solution that was maintained by a team of programmers, is
> there a way to tell how to get the build to locate no errors when it is
> compiled. Basically I would like to know the order of items to try to get a
> large solution to compile.
> **I am asking that question since the programmers that worked on this large
> application have moved on to other programming teams in the company. I am
> told that this C#.net 2008 application did compile clean 6 months ago and no
> changes have been made to the application.
> Basically are there some suggestions you have on what to try to get the
> compile errors/warnings to decrease?

If the project and files truly haven't changed, then you have a
reference problem -- one or more of your projects reference one or more
dll's that aren't on the machine you're using to build the solution.

(A good reason to have a build server).

--
J.B. Moreno