From: Cody Oebel on
I am using DEV-C++ by bloodshed for my compiler.
Problem: My dialog will not pop under HELP then click on ABOUT. I get
the returned error for the failed dialog.

#include <windows.h>

#define ID_FILE_EXIT 9001
#define ID_STUFF_GO 9002
#define ID_ABOUT 9003
#define IDC_STATIC -1
const char g_szClassName[] = "myWindowClass";

BOOL CALLBACK AboutDlgProc(HWND hwnd, UINT Message, WPARAM wParam,
LPARAM lParam)
{

switch(Message)
{
case WM_INITDIALOG:
return TRUE;

case WM_COMMAND:

switch(LOWORD(wParam))

{
case IDOK:
EndDialog(hwnd, IDOK);
break;
case IDCANCEL:
EndDialog(hwnd, IDCANCEL);
break;
}
break;
default:
return FALSE;
}
return TRUE;
}

// Step 4: the Window Procedure
LRESULT CALLBACK WndProc(HWND hwnd, UINT msg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM
lParam)
{

switch(msg)
{
case WM_CREATE:
{
HMENU hMenu, hSubMenu;

hMenu = CreateMenu();

hSubMenu = CreatePopupMenu();
AppendMenu(hSubMenu, MF_STRING, ID_FILE_EXIT, "E&xit");
AppendMenu(hMenu, MF_STRING | MF_POPUP, (UINT)hSubMenu,
"&File");

hSubMenu = CreatePopupMenu();
AppendMenu(hSubMenu, MF_STRING, ID_STUFF_GO, "&Go");
AppendMenu(hMenu, MF_STRING | MF_POPUP, (UINT)hSubMenu,
"&Stuff");

hSubMenu = CreatePopupMenu();
AppendMenu(hSubMenu, MF_STRING, ID_ABOUT, "&ABOUT");
AppendMenu(hMenu, MF_STRING | MF_POPUP, (UINT)hSubMenu,
"&HELP");

SetMenu(hwnd, hMenu);

//THis code below was commented out due to no icon being used.
/*hIcon = LoadImage(NULL, "menu_two.ico", IMAGE_ICON, 32,
32, LR_LOADFROMFILE);
if(hIcon)
SendMessage(hwnd, WM_SETICON, ICON_BIG, (LPARAM)
hIcon);
else
MessageBox(hwnd, "Could not load large icon!",
"Error", MB_OK | MB_ICONERROR);

hIconSm = LoadImage(NULL, "menu_two.ico", IMAGE_ICON, 16,
16, LR_LOADFROMFILE);
if(hIconSm)
SendMessage(hwnd, WM_SETICON, ICON_SMALL, (LPARAM)
hIconSm);
else
MessageBox(hwnd, "Could not load small icon!",
"Error", MB_OK | MB_ICONERROR);
*/
}

break;

case WM_COMMAND:

switch(LOWORD(wParam))
{
case ID_ABOUT:
{
int ret = DialogBox(GetModuleHandle(NULL),
MAKEINTRESOURCE(ID_ABOUT), hwnd, AboutDlgProc);
if(ret == IDOK)
{
MessageBox(hwnd, "Dialog exited with IDOK.", "Notice",
MB_OK | MB_ICONINFORMATION);
}
else if(ret == IDCANCEL)
{
MessageBox(hwnd, "Dialog exited with IDCANCEL.",
"Notice",
MB_OK | MB_ICONINFORMATION);
}
else if(ret == -1)
{
MessageBox(hwnd, "Dialog failed!", "Error",
MB_OK | MB_ICONINFORMATION);
}

}
break;

case ID_FILE_EXIT:

PostQuitMessage(0);
break;
case ID_STUFF_GO:
system("explorer c:\\");

break;
}
break;

case WM_CLOSE:
DestroyWindow(hwnd);
break;
case WM_DESTROY:
PostQuitMessage(0);
break;
default:
return DefWindowProc(hwnd, msg, wParam, lParam);

}
return 0;
}

int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,
LPSTR lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow)
{
WNDCLASSEX wc;
HWND hwnd;
MSG Msg;

//Step 1: Registering the Window Class
wc.cbSize = sizeof(WNDCLASSEX);
wc.style = 0;
wc.lpfnWndProc = WndProc;
wc.cbClsExtra = 0;
wc.cbWndExtra = 0;
wc.hInstance = hInstance;
wc.hIcon = LoadIcon(NULL, IDI_APPLICATION);
wc.hCursor = LoadCursor(NULL, IDC_ARROW);
wc.hbrBackground = (HBRUSH)(COLOR_WINDOW+1);
wc.lpszMenuName = NULL;
wc.lpszClassName = g_szClassName;
wc.hIconSm = LoadIcon(NULL, IDI_APPLICATION);

if(!RegisterClassEx(&wc))
{
MessageBox(NULL, "Window Registration Failed!", "Error!",
MB_ICONEXCLAMATION | MB_OK);
return 0;
}

// Step 2: Creating the Window
hwnd = CreateWindowEx(
WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE,
g_szClassName,
"OEBEL STUDIOS",
WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW,
CW_USEDEFAULT, CW_USEDEFAULT, 240, 120,
NULL, NULL, hInstance, NULL);

if(hwnd == NULL)
{
MessageBox(NULL, "Window Creation Failed!", "Error!",
MB_ICONEXCLAMATION | MB_OK);
return 0;
}

ShowWindow(hwnd, nCmdShow);
UpdateWindow(hwnd);

// Step 3: The Message Loop
while(GetMessage(&Msg, NULL, 0, 0) > 0)
{
TranslateMessage(&Msg);
DispatchMessage(&Msg);
}
return Msg.wParam;
}

// My resource file is below

// by: Cody Oebel
// San Antonion, Tx
// ID_ABOUT dialog resource script for my program
// FileName: "diag1.rc"
ID_ABOUT DIALOG DISCARDABLE 0, 0, 239, 66
STYLE DS_MODALFRAME | WS_POPUP | WS_CAPTION | WS_SYSMENU
CAPTION "My About Box"
FONT 8, "MS Sans Serif"
BEGIN
DEFPUSHBUTTON "&OK",IDOK,174,18,50,14
PUSHBUTTON "&Cancel",IDCANCEL,174,35,50,14
GROUPBOX "About this program...",IDC_STATIC,7,7,225,52
CTEXT "An example program showing how to use Dialog Boxes
\r\n\r\nby Cody",
IDC_STATIC,16,18,144,33
END

From: Christian ASTOR on
On 9 déc, 17:43, Cody Oebel <codyoe...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using DEV-C++ by bloodshed for my compiler.
> Problem: My dialog will not pop under HELP then click on ABOUT. I get
> the returned error for the failed dialog.

Maybe your dialog box is
"ID_ABOUT" instead of
MAKEINTRESOURCE(ID_ABOUT)....
(Check GetLastError())