From: Jack Tseng on
C-64 diagnostic checks the zeropage, stackpage, colour ram, etc... It found
the bad memory U21 on 64K ram. I was checking the mainboard, there is no U21
printed on the board. I dont know if the board is different. The board was
made in 1986 and Hong Kong. Other printed is W-18 94HB. Anyone help me where
I find the memory chip?

JT

From: Clocky on

"Jack Tseng" <tseng4(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> C-64 diagnostic checks the zeropage, stackpage, colour ram, etc... It
> found the bad memory U21 on 64K ram. I was checking the mainboard, there
> is no U21 printed on the board. I dont know if the board is different. The
> board was made in 1986 and Hong Kong. Other printed is W-18 94HB. Anyone
> help me where I find the memory chip?

http://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/Image:C64Cmotherboard.jpg

If that looks like your board, there are two DRAMs directly above where it
says PCB ASSY on the mainboard.

DRAM failure is common for that board, especially if the power supply has
ripple so you best check that too.

From: Jack Tseng on

"Clocky" <notgonn(a)happen.com> wrote in message

> "Jack Tseng" <tseng4(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> C-64 diagnostic checks the zeropage, stackpage, colour ram, etc... It
>> found the bad memory U21 on 64K ram. I was checking the mainboard, there
>> is no U21 printed on the board. I dont know if the board is different.
>> The board was made in 1986 and Hong Kong. Other printed is W-18 94HB.
>> Anyone help me where I find the memory chip?
>>

> http://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/Image:C64Cmotherboard.jpg
>
> If that looks like your board, there are two DRAMs directly above where it
> says PCB ASSY on the mainboard.
>
> DRAM failure is common for that board, especially if the power supply has
> ripple so you best check that too.

I think I found C64 PSB ASSY #250466, it looks exactly one as mine.

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=45129&ppid=1122&image=300723127&images=300723127&formats=0&format=0

From: Clocky on

> "Clocky" <notgonn(a)happen.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jack Tseng" <tseng4(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> C-64 diagnostic checks the zeropage, stackpage, colour ram, etc... It
>>> found the bad memory U21 on 64K ram. I was checking the mainboard, there
>>> is no U21 printed on the board. I dont know if the board is different.
>>> The board was made in 1986 and Hong Kong. Other printed is W-18 94HB.
>>> Anyone help me where I find the memory chip?
>>>

>> http://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/Image:C64Cmotherboard.jpg
>>
>> If that looks like your board, there are two DRAMs directly above where
>> it says PCB ASSY on the mainboard.
>>
>> DRAM failure is common for that board, especially if the power supply has
>> ripple so you best check that too.
>>

> I think I found C64 PSB ASSY #250466, it looks exactly one as mine.
>
> http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=45129&ppid=1122&image=300723127&images=300723127&formats=0&format=0

What are the numbers on the two chips in the left corner of the board above
the bare section to the left of the empty solderpads? Those two 18 pin chips
look like the DRAM's.

From: Sam on
Hello Jack,

This is the rare version motherboard and used in the C64C. The serial
number ends with B3...
And Clocky is right: the two 18 pins are the DRAM's !

Here you can find the different C64 motherboards:
http://www.cbmhardware.de/c64/c64board.php?Lang=E

SAM