From: Lars Haugseth on
* Chris Baird <abuse(a)brushtail.apana.org.au> wrote:

> > The app credits indicate that it's based on Frodo.
>
> Hmm.. Frodo's documentation says:
>
> "Copyright and distribution
> The rights on the source code remain at the author. It may not - not
> even in parts - used for commercial purposes without explicit written
> permission by the author. Permission to use it for non-commercial
> purposes is hereby granted als long as my copyright notice remains in
> the program. You are not allowed to use the source to create and
> distribute a modified version of Frodo."

Would be interesting to know whether they got Christian Bauer's
permission for this.

By the way, the emulator was removed from the AppStore this morning:
Quoted from http://www.manomio.com/index.php/blog/important_update

Unfortunately, Apple has pulled the C64 Application from their
store as it was discovered by some users that it was possible to
enable the Basic program through the interface. We have now fixed
the issue and our application has been re-submitted for approval
by Apple.

We thank you all for your support and fingers crossed we hope to
launch again over the next few days.

I've also read that once you get BASIC enabled, you can load and
run the games manually and look at crack intros located on the
disk images but bypassed when the games are launched from the app
menu.

And what's this about the app being developed "under license from
Commodore Gaming"? Sounds more than a little sketchy to me. Does
such a company exist, and does it have any rights to the old
Commodore software backlog?

--
Lars Haugseth
From: greenphosphor on
> And what's this about the app being developed "under license from
> Commodore Gaming"?

AFAIK the only license they have is for the "Commodore" trademark.
There are lots of Commodore trademarks in different categories and
different countries, but Commodore Gaming and/or Commodore
International control a few of these.
From: greenphosphor on
> If any, probably Frodo. It seems to be the emulator of choice for
> crappy CPUs like the ones found in PDAs and smartphones...
>
> Speaking of code thefts, does anybody know if Cloanto is providing any

Why "thefts"?

We don't know if Monomio has an agreement with the author(s) of Frodo,
who can release it in any way they please.

Also, while Manomio hasn't released their source code, Cloanto
released several versions of their VICE enhancements even before
releasing C64 Forever:

http://www.c64forever.com/sourcecode/

Right now, if you compare the official VICE version and Cloanto's free
download, IMHO it's Cloanto that offers the best open source VICE
software. And if you consider the free C64 Forever Express Edition,
that too wraps around a nice set of goodies.
From: Groepaz on
greenphosphor wrote:

>> And what's this about the app being developed "under license from
>> Commodore Gaming"?
>
> AFAIK the only license they have is for the "Commodore" trademark.
> There are lots of Commodore trademarks in different categories and
> different countries, but Commodore Gaming and/or Commodore
> International control a few of these.

commodore gaming exists, look them up on the web. and the hold the rights
for a couple of games too (which the eg licenced to nintendo too for their
virtual console stuff)

--

http://www.hitmen-console.org http://magicdisk.untergrund.net
http://www.pokefinder.org http://ftp.pokefinder.org

Erkenntnisse anderer Nachrichtendienste sind f�r uns unverzichtbar. Wir
werden auch in Zukunft jeden Hinweis nutzen, den wir bekommen k�nnen. Wenn
wir f�r Informationen anderer Nachrichtendienste eine Garantie �bernehmen
m�ssen, da� sie unter Wahrung rechtsstaatlicher Prinzipien zustande
gekommen sind, k�nnen wir den Betrieb einstellen.
<Wolfgang Sch�uble, CDU>

From: greenphosphor on
> >> And what's this about the app being developed "under license from
> >> Commodore Gaming"?
>
> > AFAIK the only license they have is for the "Commodore" trademark.
> > There are lots of Commodore trademarks in different categories and
> > different countries, but Commodore Gaming and/or Commodore
> > International control a few of these.
>
> commodore gaming exists, look them up on the web. and the hold the rights
> for a couple of games too (which the eg licenced to nintendo too for their
> virtual console stuff)

I never said they don't exist. Rather, my impression was that the
question of relevance was about what makes the app (intended as an
emulator), more official than other emulators. It wasn't a matter of
licensing games. Do you have anything to add about what Commodore
Gaming (or Commodore International) own and can license to make a C-64
emulator more official, beyond the "Commodore" trademark?