From: greenphosphor on
> > Right now, if you compare the official VICE version and Cloanto's free
> > download, IMHO it's Cloanto that offers the best open source VICE
> > software. And if you consider the free C64 Forever Express Edition,
> > that too wraps around a nice set of goodies.
>
> and many of the patches they provided are pointless, and thus were rejected
> =P

With "many" you are referring to the memory leaks Cloanto fixed along
with numerous other bugs and fixes? I know, it seems so... retro to
bother and fix memory leaks, but for some it's not pointless, it's a
matter of proper coding, and being compatible with environments like
test suites and Amiga itself. Or do you like it when you run VICE
under AmigaOS, and each time you quit the Workbench title bar shows a
few bytes less RAM?
From: Groepaz on
greenphosphor wrote:

> With "many" you are referring to the memory leaks Cloanto fixed along
> with numerous other bugs and fixes? I know, it seems so... retro to
> bother and fix memory leaks, but for some it's not pointless, it's a
> matter of proper coding, and being compatible with environments like
> test suites and Amiga itself. Or do you like it when you run VICE
> under AmigaOS, and each time you quit the Workbench title bar shows a
> few bytes less RAM?

in such a case i would either try fixing the OS, or simply use another one
that doesnt have this problem =P (proper heap management isnt rocket
science, really)

and what other numerous fixes are you referring to? i only remember a bunch
of these "memory leaks" and their "retro platform" stuff.

--

http://www.hitmen-console.org http://magicdisk.untergrund.net
http://www.pokefinder.org http://ftp.pokefinder.org

Programmiersprachen die es einem nicht erlauben sich selber in den Fuss zu
schiessen sind vor allem f�r die Programmierer geeignet die Gefahr laufen
sich bei ihrem Tun selber zu verletzen.

From: greenphosphor on
> and what other numerous fixes are you referring to? i only remember a bunch
> of these "memory leaks" and their "retro platform" stuff.

Download the latest version from http://www.c64forever.com/sourcecode/,
then open the ChangeLog file. It lists 16 groups of changes in the top
entry. To mention a few, compared to the previous release, Cloanto's
improved VICE does now not disable Vista/7 aero, works across multiple
displays, doesn't cause display flickering each time it scans the list
of screen modes, and doesn't require admin privileges just because it
tries to write in the program files directory even if told not to.

I personally also like the new icons (in the other archive for
Windows). At least it doesn't put VICE at risk of being illegal
because of possible trademark infringement. Isn't that alone a major
"fix"?

Of course, because they also fixed a few memory leaks in the process
they must be evil, very evil, and thus have to be "rejected" :-D
From: greenphosphor on
> in reality there is no trademark problem, as only an
> *exact* replication of the chickenhead logo is protected, not everything
> that vaguely resembles "C=64".

First of all, we are talking "C=", not "C=64". Second, if the "C="
logo is trademarked, then the icon used for VICE (pre-Cloanto) will be
covered as well, because it is almost the same. I am not a lawyer, but
I am quite sure the similarity doesn't need to be "exact".

> on top of that, both yeahronimo and
> commodore gaming have granted rights to distribute roms and everything that
> goes with it to emulator people *if* its for non commercial use.

What you describe is incompatible with the GPL. The GPL has no
problems with commercial use.

The fact that VICE distributed the ROMs (and the trademarks) for more
than 10 years with the VICE package has implications. People in
general would believe that someone checked that it is GPL, at least
that's what I would expect. The fact that nobody else ever objected
(presumably because there is nobody else who could object) has further
made the possibility of future copyright or trademark claims very
weak. So probably Cloanto did not even need to change that logo for
legal reasons.

AFAIK neither Yeahronimo nor Commodore Gaming own the ROMs. They own
the "Commodore" and "C=" trademarks (for some countries and for some
products, i.e. not for Opel Commodore cars, or for Commodore
champagne, etc.)
From: Hg on
On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 04:44:49 +0000, Golan Klinger wrote:

> Amigoat wrote:
>
>> One of the games shown is "Arctic Shipwreck". I don't think I've ever
>> heard of it - does it exist in 'real C64' format?
>
> Yes, it does. All of the games are early Commodore releases. In case
> anyone is curious:
>
> Arctic Shipwreck
> http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=3970

Arctic Shipwreck is quite technically impressive, for an '83 game. Split
screen bitmap with a large pseudo solid 3D object tilting around fluidly.