From: Lars Haugseth on
* "Joe Forster/STA" <sta(a)c64.org> wrote:

> Give it a try with the screen split into panels horizontally rather
> than vertically. Vertically separated panels were fine in the DOS days
> when file names were short. With today's long file names in Windows
> and Unix, tricks are needed to see the complete file name: allow
> shifting file names left and right, inflating the panel width etc. On
> the VIC's 40-column screen, with borders around the panels, you're
> left with 18 characters per line in each panel and 16 of them are
> needed for the file name.
>
> An alternative solution would be displaying the file type (1
> character), a separator space or whatever (1 character) and the full
> file name (16 characters) by default in the panel. Perhaps, the file
> size (of the file currently under the panel cursor) could be displayed
> somewhere else, e.g. in a mini status at the bottom of the panel.

Another idea to save on screen real-estate, is to differenciate
between the active and inactive lister (left and right) and make
the active one wider than the inactive one. Display size and type
information in the active lister (24 chars wide) and just the file
names in the inactive lister (16 chars wide).

You could also drop the borders and just use a 1 char separator
between the listers, giving you 23 chars for the active one and
16 chars for the other.

Another space-saving feature would be to use different colors to
indicate file type instead of text.

--
Lars Haugseth
From: Payton Byrd on
On May 12, 5:10 am, Lars Haugseth <n...(a)larshaugseth.com> wrote:
> * "Joe Forster/STA" <s...(a)c64.org> wrote:
>

> > Give it a try with the screen split into panels horizontally rather
> > than vertically. Vertically separated panels were fine in the DOS days
> > when file names were short. With today's long file names in Windows
> > and Unix, tricks are needed to see the complete file name: allow
> > shifting file names left and right, inflating the panel width etc. On
> > the VIC's 40-column screen, with borders around the panels, you're
> > left with 18 characters per line in each panel and 16 of them are
> > needed for the file name.
>
> > An alternative solution would be displaying the file type (1
> > character), a separator space or whatever (1 character) and the full
> > file name (16 characters) by default in the panel. Perhaps, the file
> > size (of the file currently under the panel cursor) could be displayed
> > somewhere else, e.g. in a mini status at the bottom of the panel.
>
> Another idea to save on screen real-estate, is to differenciate
> between the active and inactive lister (left and right) and make
> the active one wider than the inactive one. Display size and type
> information in the active lister (24 chars wide) and just the file
> names in the inactive lister (16 chars wide).
>
> You could also drop the borders and just use a 1 char separator
> between the listers, giving you 23 chars for the active one and
> 16 chars for the other.
>
> Another space-saving feature would be to use different colors to
> indicate file type instead of text.
>
> --
> Lars Haugseth

These are some interesting ideas. I'll give them thought. I've
thought about using the 1 character separator which would give me
characters back, but I still am not fond of that idea as right now I
use the same code to display the left and right panels and if I get
into displaying panels of differing widths and content then I'll
effectively be doubling the code to display the panels, and right now
the largest and most complex block of code is the displaying of the
directories.
From: Joe Forster/STA on
> Another idea to save on screen real-estate, is to differenciate
> between the active and inactive lister (left and right) and make
> the active one wider than the inactive one.

True, true! See MiniCommander (http://kys.su/p_minicommander/ ), a
Java-based file manager for cell phones which allows you to divide the
screen between the active and incative panels in ratios of 1:0,
1/2:1/2 and (strange but useful) 2/3:1/3.

> Another space-saving feature would be to use different colors to
> indicate file type instead of text.

Another good one!

One can learn a lot by looking at as many other, but similar to his or
her own, programs as possible, collecting ideas in order to not
reinvent the wheel as well as give users an as familar environment as
possible. (For people using Windows Explorer all the time, there is no
hope anyway... :-P )
From: iAN CooG on
Joe Forster/STA <sta(a)c64.org> wrote:

> possible. (For people using Windows Explorer all the time, there is no
> hope anyway... :-P )

exploDer is so bad as a file manager that I can't believe there are so many
ppl using it without becoming mad.
After switching from DOS - where I always used NC - to Win98 I kept using
orthodox filemanagers like Far manager, SC and 64copy, and I can't imagine
living without them =)

--
-=[]=--- iAN CooG/HVSC & C64Intros ---=[]=-