From: Spiro Trikaliotis on
Hello,

KilrPilr wrote:

> "Spiro Trikaliotis" <news-200605(a)trikaliotis.net> wrote in message
>> Do you donate me a CMD HD in order to be able to fix it? ;)
[...}
> YES! YES I will!! Send me your address in a private email

*shrug*

I never thought someone would offer it. Wolfgang was right in that
aspect.

Wolfgang already gave the roapmap, when this might be done. Anyway, it
will be a long time before I can even start thinking about such a
project, as the infrastructure (I want) is not there yet.

Of course, something might be doable if the basic IEC routines work with
a CMD HD. Thus, please, someone with such a drive, please follow
Wolfgang's step-by-step instructions in order to see if the IEC routines
work with a CMD HD.

If they do, we could come up with a "short term solution" by using the
standard IEC protocol to read and write files from the device. This
might be even integrated into cbmcopy, which cannot handle the standard
IEC protocol to date.

> Of course you must send it back afterwards.

Of course I would send such things back after the work is done. Anyway,
as I told above, to date, it does not make sense, as I am far from being
able to start it.

Anyway, it would be very interesting to get some technical manuals of
these drives. As there some memory map available? A ROM listing, or, at
least, a ROM image?

Regards,
Spiro.

--
Spiro R. Trikaliotis http://opencbm.sf.net/
http://www.trikaliotis.net/ http://www.viceteam.org/
From: Spiro Trikaliotis on
Hello Tom,

Tom Lake wrote:

>> Unfortunately there is some serious issue with such PCI LPT port
>> cards in not generating the needed IRQ, so that OpenCBM is not able
>> to work with these, but mainboard integrated LPT ports only.
>
> So it won't work with a USB to Parallel adapter either?

No, but this is because of other reasons. A PCI LPT card *should* work.
It seems to be a software problem. An USB to Parallelport adapter is not
even considered to work. In fact, without a special USB device, it will
never work, as it will be impossible to hold the timing. I have written
a little bit about this here:
http://wiki.trikaliotis.net/bin/view/OpenCBM/OpenCbmFaq#Q_Will_a_USB_to_parallel_port_LP

> I hope when I buy a new computer, I won't have to leave CBM4WIN
> behind!

I can assure you we are thinking about this problem ourselves, too.
Unfortunately, to date, we have not found a good solution.

The big question: How much money would anyone want to spend for such a
solution? Without doubt, such a USB adapter will be more expensive than
the X?1541 cables.

Regards,
Spiro.

From: Spiro Trikaliotis on
Hello,

KilrPilr wrote:

> Spiro you wont pull a maurice on me will you? Please say it isnt so! ;)

I hope not. ;)

I have got some offerings for hardware. I have even kept some hardware
parts, but so far, everything I kept was kept because someone told me to
keep it, to use it as a permanent donation. I never kept anything I was
not told to keep, and I want to keep it that way.

Note, Womo and I, we know each other a little bit, as we have worked
together for some time now. Also, we have meet in real life. We speak
very openly to each other, and we make jokes every now and then. Thus, I
think you have to take our words for each other with a pinch of salt.

Regards,
Spiro.

From: Spiro Trikaliotis on
Hello Tom,

Tom Lake wrote:

>> Payton Byrd wrote:
>>
>>> "Tom Lake" <tlake(a)twcny.rr.com> wrote in message

>> It seems the installation of cbm4win did not work, or you never tried to
>> do it (instcbm).
>
> I did try it but when you run a command in a CMD prompt, the output
> doesn't go to your open window. Another window flashes on the screen
> with your output then disappears.

Huh? What exactly did you do?

You should do exactly like follows:

1. Start/Run Command. Then enter "cmd" and press enter.

2. Change into the directory where you unzipped OpenCBM. For example, if
you unzipped it into c:\opencbm, type "cd /d c:\opencbm" and press
enter. (Of course, you must ommit the quotation marks).

3. Now, enter "instcbm" (or the other command you want to enter), and
send me the outputs.

Regards,
Spiro.

From: Tom Lake on
> 3. Now, enter "instcbm" (or the other command you want to enter), and
> send me the outputs.

Number 3 is the problem. The outputs aren't visible. In Vista they go to a
temporary window that opens and closes so fast, you can't read it
let alone capture it. MS said they're trying to wean people off of
the DOS prompt and they're doing a good job of it!

Tom Lake