From: Wolfgang Moser on
Hello Tom,

as Groepaz just pointed out that driver signation
checks are only required for the 64 bit version,
I will now assume that the installation of the
driver at you system _is_ fine and did work once.

Tom Lake schrieb:
> I was using CBM4WIN 4.0 with the GUI4CBM4WIN 4.1 successfully in the RTM
> version of MS Vista but suddenly, it can no longer see the drive plugged
> into LPT1:

For the following debugging session we better
change into the Windows CMD shell. Do you feel
able to issue some commands?

> It does do a RESET ok so I know the drive is plugged in and responding
> but when I try to do a status, I get:
> status: The system cannot find the file specified.
> and when I try to detect the drive, I get
> No drives found, please check cbm4win installation and directory paths!
> and 99, DRIVER ERROR,00,00 on the status line.

How and/or where did you install cbm4win to?

> Any ideas? As I said before, it *was* working fine, then just started this
> nonsense.

Please log in as administrator and open up a
command line shell... hmmm, a better approach
would be to upen up that shell with the runas
service, so that commands are issued with
administrator rights (don't know which ones
is appropriate for Vista).

Then do a:

instcbm -c

What is the result of that command (please post
a screen hardcopy here)?

As you said:
cbmctrl reset

does work, right? And the drive connected to the
cable in fact does do a reset? If it does, please
do issue this command:

cbmctrl detect

What is the result of that command?

If there is a drive detected, please insert a
disk into the drive and issue (this holds true
only, if a drive with number 8 was detected
before, otherwise change the number):

cbmctrl dir 8

What is the result of that command?

And finally, please post the contents of your
gui4cbm4win.ini file.

Womo
From: Tom Lake on
"Wolfgang Moser" <wn0612(a)d81.de.invalid> wrote in message
> Hello Tom,
>
> as Groepaz just pointed out that driver signation
> checks are only required for the 64 bit version,
> I will now assume that the installation of the
> driver at you system _is_ fine and did work once.

It's working again. My Vista installation had some problems
that prevented some programs from working properly.
A refresh of the driver helped.

Tom Lake

From: Payton Byrd on
Groepaz wrote:
> Wolfgang Moser wrote:
>
>> I always thought that Vista won't accepts uncertified
>> to better say unsigned drivers.
>
> afaik they only did that for the 64bit version

That's correct, however, you can sign the driver yourself. Daemon Tools
does this. When installing, Vista x64 gives you a big warning that by
accepting the certificate you may be accepting dangerous drivers and
that Microsoft can't vouch for the validity of the driver. It's a good
compromise because it makes sure that noone can say "I didn't know" and
at the same time allows Microsoft not be seen as keeping competitors out
of Vista.
From: Payton Byrd on
It looks like I should encapsulate the entire registration and testing
process into a GUI and allow that to be run from GUI4CBM4WIN.

From: Wolfgang Moser on
Hello Tom.

Tom Lake schrieb:

> It's working again. My Vista installation had some problems
> that prevented some programs from working properly.
> A refresh of the driver helped.

thanks for your feedback. The very positive thing is
that there seems to be no limitation with Vista and
cbm4win as I did expect first.

Womo