From: Wolfgang Moser on
Hi Payton,

Payton Byrd schrieb:
> Groepaz wrote:
>> Wolfgang Moser wrote:
>>
>>> I always thought that Vista won't accepts uncertified
>>> to better say unsigned drivers.
>>
>> afaik they only did that for the 64bit version
>>

> That's correct, however, you can sign the driver yourself. Daemon Tools
> does this. When installing, Vista x64 gives you a big warning that by
> accepting the certificate you may be accepting dangerous drivers and
> that Microsoft can't vouch for the validity of the driver. It's a good
> compromise because it makes sure that noone can say "I didn't know" and
> at the same time allows Microsoft not be seen as keeping competitors out
> of Vista.

That's a nice feature. I already thought of
something like installing an alternative
certificate authority into Vista which gives
abilities to use another root certificate.
My plan was to give the user to sign drivers
and other stuff by himself before actually
installing it. A nice GUI should encapsulate
the signing and installation process...
It seems that Microsoft did "invent" exactly
the same, which saved me from a lot of work
(cryptography and managing CA chains can
cause really bad dreams).

Womo
From: Wolfgang Moser on
Hi again,

Payton Byrd schrieb:
> It looks like I should encapsulate the entire registration and testing
> process into a GUI and allow that to be run from GUI4CBM4WIN.

which remembers me to an issue. Your installer
should check that it is run with administrator
rights, does it? Alternatively it may ask the
user to install the GUI only, but omits driver
installation.

Womo
From: Payton Byrd on
Wolfgang Moser wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Payton Byrd schrieb:
>> It looks like I should encapsulate the entire registration and testing
>> process into a GUI and allow that to be run from GUI4CBM4WIN.
>>

> which remembers me to an issue. Your installer
> should check that it is run with administrator
> rights, does it? Alternatively it may ask the
> user to install the GUI only, but omits driver
> installation.
>

> Womo

I haven't tested what would happen trying to install as a non-admin.
I'm not sure you can even execute an MSI as a non-admin.
From: Wolfgang Moser on
Hello Payton,

Payton Byrd schrieb:
> Wolfgang Moser wrote:
>>
>> which remembers me to an issue. Your installer
>> should check that it is run with administrator
>> rights, does it? Alternatively it may ask the
>
> I haven't tested what would happen trying to install as a non-admin. I'm
> not sure you can even execute an MSI as a non-admin.

as I'm always working as a standard users, I did
test the installer that way. It proceeded as
usual, installed the GUI and driver files into
the destination directory (not protected too
hard, so standard users are allowed to create
their own directories and write things there)
and created an uninstall option.
It didn't install the driver, but maybe the
installer was able to proceed, because another
beta version of cbm4win was already installed
to my system.

Womo
From: Payton Byrd on
Wolfgang Moser wrote:
> Hello Payton,
>
> Payton Byrd schrieb:
>> Wolfgang Moser wrote:
>>>
>>> which remembers me to an issue. Your installer
>>> should check that it is run with administrator
>>> rights, does it? Alternatively it may ask the
>>
>> I haven't tested what would happen trying to install as a non-admin.
>> I'm not sure you can even execute an MSI as a non-admin.
>
> as I'm always working as a standard users, I did
> test the installer that way. It proceeded as
> usual, installed the GUI and driver files into
> the destination directory (not protected too
> hard, so standard users are allowed to create
> their own directories and write things there)
> and created an uninstall option.
> It didn't install the driver, but maybe the
> installer was able to proceed, because another
> beta version of cbm4win was already installed
> to my system.
>
> Womo

OK, thanks for running through that and saving me the trouble. :)

I have a suspicion that I can simply tell from the output of the call to
cbminst whether or not the user is an Admin. I'm already going to build
a much more robust wrapper around cbminst to allow the driver to be
reinstalled from the GUI, so I'll probably remove the driver
registration from the MSI and make it part of the GUI's startup code.
The GUI would try to do a reset on the IEC bus when starting up and if
that fails it would then open the dialog box for registering the driver.
There would also become a button on the options form to open the
driver registration form as well.