From: Mel on
"Readable file record segment 9 is not writeable." this is the CHKDSK
error message I get when I try boot up my other computer, and it
automatically does a CHKDSK. The third part of the CHKDSK it does is
Security Descriptors.

Gateway 1.6 Mhz, 768mb RIMM, P4, desktop, made in 2003.

This is after the computer has had increasingly aggravating boot-up
problems, going into safe mode, etc. Most of the time it won't do a
system restore, either.

Do I have a dying HDD?

Thanks,

Mel

From: Leonard Grey on
Hi Mel:

You don't necessarily have a dying hard disk. The way to know for sure -
the best way - is to download and run the hard drive manufacturer's disk
diagnostics, available from the manufacturer's web site. The diagnostics
will tell you if the disk needs to be replaced.

Note: The diags can take a long time to run - that's normal. You might
want to run them overnight.

---
Leonard Grey
Since no one was buying 'Earl Grey'

From: GRAND_POOBAH on
It would *appear* so. Have you run the disk manufacturer's drive check
software on it? If not, go to the manufacturer's site and see if they
have a downloadable version of the disk checking software.

Given how long ago the computer was built, I'd imagine that the disk is
fairly small compared to the multi-gigabyte drives available today. I'd
buy disk copy software (like Norton's Ghost) and, once I got the
computer running, I'd make a good backup of your entire drive. Then put
in a larger disk and transfer your saved drive to it.

--->