From: C_Kilgore on
I mistakenly scheduled Chkdsk to run a scan when I restarted my primary
laptop, and it is now running. It is running before Windows fully boots up,
which means the computer is disabled. It appears likely to take hours to
finish, and I desperately need the affected computer up and running
immediately. How do I tell Chkdsk to abort, so I can continue starting up
the computer? Pressing Esc does not work. Please, please help!

This is a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop running Windows XP with all the latest
updates.

Thanks,

C_Kilgore
From: John John - MVP on
There is no way to abort a chkdsk in progress, you will have to let it
run its course.

John

From: Bob on
What would happen if he just turned the computer off and restarted and hit
F3 of F8 or whatever allows him to get into his system and restore it?

Bob

From: John John - MVP on
Yanking the power to abort a chkdsk in progress carries a substantial
risk of disk corruption or data loss! If the aborted chkdsk leaves the
file system in an unstable state then he might not be able to get back
in the system and there might not be anything left to restore.

John