From: helloprilly on
I just had to install and new hard drive and upgrade my memory on an old HP
laptop. my hard drive was renamed as I was cleaning the keyboard and I can
not remember what it was called before it was renamed gibberish.

what is the default name for the C: Drive? is it local disk? Drive C:?

Will renaming this drive from soemthing other than the default name affect
the operability of my programs that were installed under the old name?

thank you!
From: Shenan Stanley on
helloprilly wrote:
> I just had to install and new hard drive and upgrade my memory on
> an old HP laptop. my hard drive was renamed as I was cleaning the
> keyboard and I can not remember what it was called before it was
> renamed gibberish.
>
> what is the default name for the C: Drive? is it local disk? Drive
> C:?
>
> Will renaming this drive from soemthing other than the default name
> affect the operability of my programs that were installed under the
> old name?

Most applications do not care what the volume name is - none I know of care
what the user friendly (presentation) name is. Ignore it and move on. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Swifty on
On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 21:38:07 -0500, "Shenan Stanley"
<newshelper(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Most applications do not care what the volume name is - none I know of care
>what the user friendly (presentation) name is.

The only time that I've needed to know it was when some format routine
asked me what it was. Of course, at that point in time, I had no idea
what it was.

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html
From: Jose on
On Apr 4, 9:23 pm, helloprilly <hellopri...(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I just had to install and new hard drive and upgrade my memory on an old HP
> laptop.  my hard drive was renamed as I was cleaning the keyboard and I can
> not remember what it was called before it was renamed gibberish.
>
> what is the default name for the C: Drive?  is it local disk? Drive C:?
>
> Will renaming this drive from soemthing other than the default name affect
> the operability of my programs that were installed under the old name?
>
> thank you!

The default is no name and it will show up in Explorer as something
like:

Local Disk (C:)

Explorer has to call it something or you would just have a blank space
and may not know what it is.

You can right click your drive and enter/change the name to anything
you want. If it never had a name, the name box at the top of the
General tab in the drive Properties will be empty even though it seems
to have a "name" in Explorer.

Type in whatever name you want and click OK. XP doesn't care what the
name is (fortunately) which is why it is easy to change. If XP did
care, it would hopefully be much harder to change it. It is easy to
change so it makes sense to your eyeballs.