From: MowGreen [MVP] on
To identify the manufacturer of the HardDrive *right* click My Computer
either on the Desktop or the Start Menu and choose Manage.
Click the plus sign [expand] next to System Tools
Now click on Device Manager in the left frame
Expand Disk drives
You'll now see the name of the manufacturer of the HD
Use google to locate their web site and check under their Support link
to see if they offer a diagnostic tool.
What you saw may have been just a glitch but, you really should check
out the health of the HD so that you don't lose needed/wanted data.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

From: NatureMuzic on
0Hi & Tanks,

Here's what I get: WDC WD1600JB-75GVCO. It's Western Digital & now there,
not sure which tool to D/L - HERE'S MY 2 CHOICES:

File Name Format File Size
Diag504cCD.iso iso 2.17 MB
Diag504cCD.zip zip 1.56 MB

and guess what ? Upon logging in this AM, the CHKDSK returned byt a will of
it's own :-(

Thanks again

Dallas

From: NatureMuzic on
Now the CHKDSK has returned for the past 2 days ! And I still don't know
whicnj Diagnostics Tool to use - I would guess the iso & not the zip.

Thanks

From: Lem on
NatureMuzic wrote:
> 0Hi & Tanks,
>
> Here's what I get: WDC WD1600JB-75GVCO. It's Western Digital & now there,
> not sure which tool to D/L - HERE'S MY 2 CHOICES:
>
> File Name Format File Size
> Diag504cCD.iso iso 2.17 MB
> Diag504cCD.zip zip 1.56 MB
>

> and guess what ? Upon logging in this AM, the CHKDSK returned byt a will of
> it's own :-(
>
> Thanks again
>
> Dallas
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> To identify the manufacturer of the HardDrive *right* click My Computer
>> either on the Desktop or the Start Menu and choose Manage.
>> Click the plus sign [expand] next to System Tools
>> Now click on Device Manager in the left frame
>> Expand Disk drives
>> You'll now see the name of the manufacturer of the HD
>> Use google to locate their web site and check under their Support link
>> to see if they offer a diagnostic tool.
>> What you saw may have been just a glitch but, you really should check
>> out the health of the HD so that you don't lose needed/wanted data.
>>
>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>> ===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ===============
>>

>> Dallas wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks MowGreen, sorry but I am a neophyte at this & not sure how to do what
>>> you suggest. But I didn't cancel the CHKDSK, I would just let it truin it's
>>> course. But it has stopped doing this for the time being at least. Not sur
>>> why it started happening & not sure why it quit.
>>>
>>> I'll be checking back - thanks again

You want this. Read the directions on the web page:
http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=502&sid=3&lang=en

Or, if you want the DOS version (which are the 2 files you listed),
again, read the directions:
http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=502&sid=30&lang=en&print=y

The zip file is just a compressed version of the iso file. You "unzip"
the zip file to get the iso file (Windows XP can do this natively, right
click). In order to use an iso file you must have CD-creating software,
which is *not* native to WinXP.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

From: MowGreen [MVP] on
Lem wrote:

> You want this. Read the directions on the web page:
> http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=502&sid=3&lang=en
>
> Or, if you want the DOS version (which are the 2 files you listed),
> again, read the directions:
> http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=502&sid=30&lang=en&print=y
>

> The zip file is just a compressed version of the iso file. You "unzip"
> the zip file to get the iso file (Windows XP can do this natively, right
> click). In order to use an iso file you must have CD-creating software,
> which is *not* native to WinXP.

Thanks, Lem. Got it, Dallas ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY