From: The Magnet on

Ok, I've seen all the notes on the ORA-22992 error:

ORA-22992: cannot use LOB locators selected from remote tables

Problem is that we are using a source table with a trigger that will
update another table on a remote database over a DB link. So, if you
cannot update, how is this task to be accomplished?

I have heard that there is a bug in 10g r2, which is what we are
running. But has anyone ever gotten this to work, and if yes, please
share your work around.

Thanks!
From: phil_herring on
On May 26, 1:30 am, The Magnet <a...(a)unsu.com> wrote:

> Problem is that we are using a source table with a trigger that will
> update another table on a remote database over a DB link.  So, if you
> cannot update, how is this task to be accomplished?

So you have a *trigger* that is going to update a *remote table*. And
you're going to write a CLOB.

Maybe you should consider using queues for this. Your trigger can
write the change data to a queue in that DB; set up a queue on the
remote DB that subscribes to the first queue, and run a batch that
reads that queue and applies the change.

-- Phil
From: madhu on
You can use plsql variables to update (you are limited to 65k though)
the remote table.
Some restrictions related to LOB are actually removed in 10gR2, check
the doc#796282.1.

-Madhu Sreeram
From: Tiago on
On May 25, 12:30 pm, The Magnet <a...(a)unsu.com> wrote:
> Ok, I've seen all the notes on the ORA-22992 error:
>
> ORA-22992: cannot use LOB locators selected from remote tables
>
> Problem is that we are using a source table with a trigger that will
> update another table on a remote database over a DB link.  So, if you
> cannot update, how is this task to be accomplished?
>
> I have heard that there is a bug in 10g r2, which is what we are
> running.  But has anyone ever gotten this to work, and if yes, please
> share your work around.
>
> Thanks!

Could you create a local table, get the lob locator from it and then
do a insert select on the remote table? I solved a similar problem
this way, although it was a blob (almost the same, right?). My
application generate a pdf using Oracle Reports and then upload the
pdf to the remote database, which is the backbone of a web
application. 10G r2 here too.

-- T