From: Mladen Gogala on
I guess this is a legitimate topic now that MySQL is essentially an
Oracle product, too. My question, however, is not devoted to MySQL or any
other specific OSS database. I am just interested in what OSS databases
are mostly used in data centers, in addition to Oracle and why?
Specifically about MySQL, did the fact that Oracle Corp. now owns it,
lessen its appeal or even increase it? I must confess that I expected to
see a massive exodus from MySQL which did not materialize. I confess that
my understanding of the world may not be entirely correct and I will even
allow the possibility that the Earth is not flat, but this I do not
understand.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
From: Shakespeare on
Op 26-5-2010 16:56, Mladen Gogala schreef:
> I guess this is a legitimate topic now that MySQL is essentially an
> Oracle product, too. My question, however, is not devoted to MySQL or any
> other specific OSS database. I am just interested in what OSS databases
> are mostly used in data centers, in addition to Oracle and why?
> Specifically about MySQL, did the fact that Oracle Corp. now owns it,
> lessen its appeal or even increase it? I must confess that I expected to
> see a massive exodus from MySQL which did not materialize. I confess that
> my understanding of the world may not be entirely correct and I will even
> allow the possibility that the Earth is not flat, but this I do not
> understand.

Most cheap providers (here) only support MySql databases. So most of the
time, there is no choice....

Shakespeare
From: gs on
Shakespeare wrote:
> Op 26-5-2010 16:56, Mladen Gogala schreef:
>> I guess this is a legitimate topic now that MySQL is essentially an
>> Oracle product, too. My question, however, is not devoted to MySQL or any
>> other specific OSS database. I am just interested in what OSS databases
>> are mostly used in data centers, in addition to Oracle and why?
>> Specifically about MySQL, did the fact that Oracle Corp. now owns it,
>> lessen its appeal or even increase it? I must confess that I expected to
>> see a massive exodus from MySQL which did not materialize. I confess that
>> my understanding of the world may not be entirely correct and I will even
>> allow the possibility that the Earth is not flat, but this I do not
>> understand.
>>

> Most cheap providers (here) only support MySql databases. So most of the
> time, there is no choice....
>
> Shakespeare

I dabble in website design and deal with a few hosting providers. All of
them use MYSQL as the database of choice if you want a db back end, some
offer msaccess or mssql, but MYSQL has that market cornered, by the
looks of it.

I've been meaning to play with MYSQL a bit more, as well as Postgres,
but just havent found the time. We recently had a vendor that is going
to be supplying us a real-time gps tracking solution, and they used
Postgres exclusively, but with some pressure (we will be one of their
biggest customers) our IT dept convinced them to port to either Oracle
or MSSQL as we don't want to be supporting everything thats out there. I
was quite willing (and hoping) to take some training and get up to speed
on Postgres, but was over ruled..
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Wed, 26 May 2010 18:30:53 +0200, Shakespeare wrote:

> Most cheap providers (here) only support MySql databases. So most of the
> time, there is no choice....

Cheap providers of what?

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
From: Shakespeare on
Op 26-5-2010 19:07, Mladen Gogala schreef:
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 18:30:53 +0200, Shakespeare wrote:
>
>> Most cheap providers (here) only support MySql databases. So most of the
>> time, there is no choice....
>
> Cheap providers of what?

Guess... sorry forgot that the word 'provider' has only one meaning in
Dutch..

Schudspeer