From: joel garry on
On May 27, 4:52 am, Steve Howard <stevedhow...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 26, 9:34 pm, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 26 May 2010 10:14:40 -0700, Steve Howard wrote:
> > > It's replacement in the world?  I would guess MySQL, based on Oracle
> > > Corp.'s ownership if nothing else.
>
> > Hmmm, that doesn't compute, from my point of view. That is precisely why
> > I opened this topic. Why would a huge corporation suddenly abandon its
> > main cash cow in favor of a freebie? Slowly killing the freebie seems
> > more likely to me, now that Oracle Corp. owns it. I am not sure as to why
> > people are not trying to run away from MySQL, but they obviously are not.
>
> > --http://mgogala.byethost5.com
>
> I honestly think that over the longer run, Oracle is trying to figure
> out how to make money from software as a service, rather than charging
> for it as a product.
>
> So yes, they don't *own* it from a practical standpoint, as Galen
> noted.  However, they will support it and back it with whatever it
> needs (including the read consistent model they provided it via InnoDB
> a few years ago).  In the process, they may discover how to make money
> from it without charging for the software, which I *hope* makes it
> over the to the flagship RDBMS.
>
> As Monty Widenius has already kind of done, someone will just fork the
> code if they try to kill it, as it is already in the wild.

Yes, the long run is what Mladen missed in the "main cash cow"
assertion. In a nutshell, a product (or service) has hit the peak of
its life cycle, not much more development costs need to be sunk, so it
can be profitable for a while with little development. For someone
with a strategic planning view (like Larry), it's not so much killing
a cow as milking it while paying a lot more attention to growing new
cows. In the past there have been a number of little cows, Oracle
apps and various aquisitions that weren't turned to veal. MySQL could
be a calf that will be fattened as databases become ever more
commoditized. Tactically, pricing and development for all the db
products can adapt to the where's-the-beef futures market as
opportunities come and go. Go ahead and make the obvious jokes about
what this scenario is full of, at least I didn't respond to the OP
comparing the Earth to redo logs :-) Databases haven't been the
center of Larry's universe for a long time. Heck, even the Catholic
Church's
http://religion.gaeatimes.com/2010/05/22/polish-priests-to-rebury-copernicus-as-hero-after-astronomers-remains-found-in-unmarked-grave-3016/

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
Those darn computer glitches! http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_15172933?nclick_check=1
From: joel garry on
On May 27, 4:52 am, Steve Howard <stevedhow...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 26, 9:34 pm, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 26 May 2010 10:14:40 -0700, Steve Howard wrote:
> > > It's replacement in the world?  I would guess MySQL, based on Oracle
> > > Corp.'s ownership if nothing else.
>
> > Hmmm, that doesn't compute, from my point of view. That is precisely why
> > I opened this topic. Why would a huge corporation suddenly abandon its
> > main cash cow in favor of a freebie? Slowly killing the freebie seems
> > more likely to me, now that Oracle Corp. owns it. I am not sure as to why
> > people are not trying to run away from MySQL, but they obviously are not.
>
> > --http://mgogala.byethost5.com
>
> I honestly think that over the longer run, Oracle is trying to figure
> out how to make money from software as a service, rather than charging
> for it as a product.

Funnily enough, after my last post I got a junkemail that pointed at a
link trumpeting "Michael Lehman achieved worldwide recognition as Sun
Microsystems’ CFO, helping Sun manage through several business cycles
to achieve a record of consistent growth,"
http://www.paloaltonetworks.com/news/press_releases/2010-0421-cfo.html
Which made me wonder about consistent growth at Sun (it peaked with
the dotcom), and eventually googled me to
http://static.reuters.com/resources/media/editorial/20100513/Oracle.pdf
(copyright 2009 lol)

Which seems to be saying that Oracle is intent upon making money from
soup to nuts service, aka vendor lock-in. I could see them perfecting
this at the high-end, then attempting to move downmarket by plugging
in arbitrary cheaper parts, kind of like the current db licensing
scheme. MySQL and XE then become throwaway bottom end stuff just to
try to lure unsuspecting MS/Dell/HP marks.

I can certainly understand the “We don’t want customers making those
decisions. They never quite tune it the way we would,” said Oracle
President Charles Phillips. But it seems unpolitic and condescending.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
"... Larry's an outstandingly lovely, flawless man." - Jonathan
From: Tim X on
Mladen Gogala <no(a)email.here.invalid> writes:

> I guess this is a legitimate topic now that MySQL is essentially an
> Oracle product, too. My question, however, is not devoted to MySQL or any
> other specific OSS database. I am just interested in what OSS databases
> are mostly used in data centers, in addition to Oracle and why?
> Specifically about MySQL, did the fact that Oracle Corp. now owns it,
> lessen its appeal or even increase it? I must confess that I expected to
> see a massive exodus from MySQL which did not materialize. I confess that
> my understanding of the world may not be entirely correct and I will even
> allow the possibility that the Earth is not flat, but this I do not
> understand.

I don't think Oracle's onership of MySQL (or Sun's before that) has
really changed that much because they really appeal to two different
markets/requirements.

Many web hosting companies provide MySQL. Very few provide Oracle. I
think this is mainly because a lot of web applications really only use
databases in a very limited way - essentially a repository for key-value
pairs. MySQL is pretty good for this type of use, while Oracle is
overkill.

My experience has been that most of the apps I've worked with that use
Oracle are apps where the database is the main part of the application.
The non-Oracle parts of the app tend to be just interfaces.

The MySQL systems I've worked with, the app is usually some other
'thing' like Java, perl, ruby or PHP and the database is really just a
simple data store.

I think the main appeal of MySQL is that it can easily be administered
by a competant sys admin or developer. There is not a lot you can
tune/tweak and the feature set is quite limited. Oracle on the other
hand is a much more complex beast, with a lot that can be tuned/tweaked
and a much richer set of features. I have never met a good developer or
sys admin who is also an up-to-date, experienced and competant Oracle
admin.

Postgres does appear to be gaining some ground, though I suspect a bit
of this is more discussion than actual usage i.e. some are a little
worried regarding what Oracle will do with MySQL, so for risk
mitigation, they are considering postgres for new apps. At the same
time, they are alittle worried about postgres as its a little less
proven in the enterprise. From my limited experience, I find postgres to
be somewhere between Oracle and MySQL. I am a little negative regarding
MySQL due to issues I've had with it in the past, particularly with
respect to its storage reliability and limited SQL compliance, such as
not supporting subqueries (my MySQL knowledge is probably out of date -
I believe its underlying storage engine is now much improved and its SQL
has been extended). Postgres is also relatively easy to administer and
easily within the skill set of a competant sys admin/developer. Postgres
has had a reputation as being slower than either Oracle or MySQL and
unlike Oracle, you don't have many options to tweak performance. It has
been fine in systems I've used it for, but none of them are what I would
have categorised as being under a heavy load. However, I've always
preferred postgrs over mysql because it has always felt more like a real
database to me where mysql always felt like a cut down somewhat crippled
system.

I believe there is also plans out there to fork MySQL and have an OSS
version that is not controlled by Oracle. The original author of MySQL
was pretty vocal regarding his oposition to Oracle, which in my opinion
was pretty pathetic - he sold it for a large sum of cash to Sun, which
I think forfits his rights to get huffy about what someone does with it
who has paid to own it.

Some of the recent Oracle support and licensing stories I've heard
recently does make me wonder if postgres might not become more popular,
but I think this is separate from anything related to MySQL.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au
From: Tim X on
galen_boyer(a)yahoo.com writes:

> Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Wed, 26 May 2010 10:14:40 -0700, Steve Howard wrote:
>>

>>> It's replacement in the world? I would guess MySQL, based on Oracle
>>> Corp.'s ownership if nothing else.
>>
>> Hmmm, that doesn't compute, from my point of view. That is precisely why
>> I opened this topic. Why would a huge corporation suddenly abandon its
>> main cash cow in favor of a freebie? Slowly killing the freebie seems
>> more likely to me, now that Oracle Corp. owns it. I am not sure as to why
>> people are not trying to run away from MySQL, but they obviously are not.
>
> I don't think Oracle owns it. Nobody can "own" open source. They
> bought off the main braintrust and set up agreements so those guys
> wouldn't start up again.
>
> But, the way I understand it, anybody could continue development on MySql.

Yep, they could take a fork from it and do what they want. I suspect
Oracle won't even try to kill it off. Mor likely, they just won't do
anyting with it and it willl slowly wither from bitrot (or be replaced
by a forked version). I'm not sure Oracle even really cares. It was
something they just got with the Sun bundle. It probably wasn't even
included as a line item in the purchase process.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au
From: John Hurley on
Tim:

> [...]
> have categorised as being under a heavy load. However, I've always
> preferred postgrs over mysql because it has always felt more like a real
> database to me where mysql always felt like a cut down somewhat crippled
> system.
>
> I believe there is also plans out there to fork MySQL and have an OSS
> version that is not controlled by Oracle. The original author of MySQL
> was pretty vocal regarding his oposition to Oracle, which in my opinion
> was pretty pathetic - he sold it for a large sum of cash to Sun, which
> I think forfits his rights to get huffy about what someone does with it
> who has paid to own it.
>
> Some of the recent Oracle support and licensing stories I've heard
> recently does make me wonder if postgres might not become more popular,
> but I think this is separate from anything related to MySQL.

Nice summary. I don't do anything with MySQL but what you said and
noted makes sense to me.