From: Jonathan Wood on
Did anyone ever figure out how to add a drop-down menu button to the new MFC
ribbon bar, so I can have a button on the ribbon that drops down a menu?

And while I'm at it, did anyone ever find a good source of documentation for
the new classes? Apparently, Microsoft feels it's job is done as long as it
documents every class, method and property even if the terse descriptions
provide little more than the object names themselves. And how they decided
that the best way to describe a ribbon component is sans an image completely
eludes me.

Thanks.

--
Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits Programming

From: ChrisN on
On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 10:48:48 -0600, "Jonathan Wood"
<jwood(a)softcircuits.com> wrote:

Hi Jonathan,

>Did anyone ever figure out how to add a drop-down menu button to the new MFC
>ribbon bar, so I can have a button on the ribbon that drops down a menu?

Have you looked at the RibbonGadgets sample application? There's a
button named Menu Button on the Buttons tab. Is this what you mean?

In the source code, see CMainFrame::Add_Category1() and the
IDR_RIBBON_MENU_1 resource.

>And while I'm at it, did anyone ever find a good source of documentation for
>the new classes? Apparently, Microsoft feels it's job is done as long as it
>documents every class, method and property even if the terse descriptions
>provide little more than the object names themselves. And how they decided
>that the best way to describe a ribbon component is sans an image completely
>eludes me.

I agree. The MFC Feature Pack documentation is awful, and nowhere near
Microsoft's usual standard.

Chris
From: Jonathan Wood on
Thanks Chris. I haven't seen that example but will take a look.

--
Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits Programming

From: Jonathan Wood on
Okay, I give up. Searching for RibbonGadgets leads me to a Microsoft page
that describes (very briefly) this sample. There's no download button but
there is a link. If I click the link, it takes me to a page where I again
need to drill down to what I want. I end up with a button to download a C++
example collection--apparently I need to download the entire thing or
nothing at all.

So I download it, run the installation that seems to simply copy a zip file
to some deep, hard-to-find folder.

I finally found the folder but spent 5 minutes searching for RibbonGadgets
(the Windows search never works quite right for me so I had to just browse)
and I don't see it.

Microsoft has some major usability issues with their documentation and that
includes the samples.

So what's the secret. How do I find this example?

Sheesh!

From: ChrisN on
On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 09:37:06 -0600, "Jonathan Wood"
<jwood(a)softcircuits.com> wrote:

>So what's the secret. How do I find this example?

Hmm, this is odd. I originally found the samples after installing the
MFC Feature Pack for VS2008.

The samples were in a zip file named AllVCLanguageSamples.zip here:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Samples\1033

Inside this zip file was a folder that contained all the Feature Pack
samples:

C++\MFC\Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack

I've since uninstalled the Feature Pack and VS2008 and reinstalled
VS2008 + SP1, and found that this zip file no longer contains the
Feature Pack samples.

Anyway, I found that the samples can be downloaded separately here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9761BB57-F066-4B70-9318-3965C5E68AAD

> Sheesh!

You're not wrong!

Chris