From: /dev/null/ on

"Robert Coe" <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:18:16 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
> : CCD seems to be able to avoid motion problems that CMOS suffers from.
> : How about Canon's 5DII, does it have these issues with video?
>
> Right, Rich. And I once read a very compelling argument that for various
> aerodynamic reasons a bumblebee can't fly.
>
> Bob

But then Bumblebee's can't read ;)

From: C.P. Robbins on
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 22:47:21 -0400, "/dev/null/" <dev(a)null.invalid> wrote:

>"Robert Coe" <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:18:16 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> : CCD seems to be able to avoid motion problems that CMOS suffers from.
>> : How about Canon's 5DII, does it have these issues with video?
>>
>> Right, Rich. And I once read a very compelling argument that for various
>> aerodynamic reasons a bumblebee can't fly.
>>
>> Bob
>
>But then Bumblebee's can't read ;)

Depends what you consider "reading". I know of one particular bumblebee
that was reading its environment with the included resources and saw me as
a threat to its food sources as I was picking dandelion blossoms for a
batch of dandelion wine. It detected me picking them, and in no uncertain
terms, it dove back in forth inches in front of my face, making a louder
and louder buzzing sound at the dip of its swing, until I backed off a
couple feet and waited for it to have "first dibs" before I picked the
blossoms that it had already visited. After I read what it had read, we got
along fine the whole afternoon in that meadow together. It was quite
content to let me pick whichever ones that it got done with first. Then
another that was feeding on a wildflower and one of my dogs my dog back
then, a pup, stuck her nose right into the back of the bumblebee and kept
sniffing it for the longest time. I thought for sure she was going to learn
what a bee-sting was for. Her nose flat into the back of the bumblebee. The
bumblebee read that the dog was no real threat and just buzzed very loudly
throughout all this dog-nose abuse with dog-snot wetted wings, but didn't
skip a beat in what it was doing. My dog eventually just looked at me
quizzically on why that strange thing had just vibrated her nose so much.

Bumblebees can read. Just not in the way that you think.

From: Me on
On 22/06/2010 9:32 a.m., RichA wrote:
> On Jun 21, 5:24 pm, nospam<nos...(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> In article
>> <c26d63aa-d4b9-4369-874b-c52a44825...(a)u7g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
>>
>> RichA<rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> CCD seems to be able to avoid motion problems that CMOS suffers from.
>>> How about Canon's 5DII, does it have these issues with video?
>>
>> the 'motion problems' are due to rolling shutters.
>
> Ok, so the problem is not due to CCDs, just happens most P&S's still
> use them and DSLR's use CMOS and rolling shutters. I wonder what
> Panasonic's new 4/3rds video camera is going to use? $3000.00.

Are there any small CCD sensor still cameras that shoot 1080p (24 or i60
etc)? IIRC HD video was one reason why CMOS was becoming more common in
P&S cams.
AFAIK there's Panavision CCD (single Bayer pattern Sony CCD) 1080p
digital cine, and 3xCCD types, but Red (and others?) are CMOS. Yes,
they have rolling shutter "jello", as does the 5dII.
Anyway, if Pansonic do this right then it might have CMOS, but ~12mp
native resolution max - (2160 x 3840) for 2:1 pixel binning, plenty for
stills if you need it, and perhaps support a raw video mode.
From: RichA on
On Jun 21, 10:39 pm, Robert Coe <b...(a)1776.COM> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:18:16 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> : CCD seems to be able to avoid motion problems that CMOS suffers from.
> : How about Canon's 5DII, does it have these issues with video?
>
> Right, Rich. And I once read a very compelling argument that for various
> aerodynamic reasons a bumblebee can't fly.
>
> Bob

I remember a plane in WW2 that had roughly the same shape as a
bumblebee and it flew.
From: /dev/null/ on

> On 2010-06-22 17:26:57 -0700, RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> said:
>
>> On Jun 21, 10:39 pm, Robert Coe <b...(a)1776.COM> wrote:
>>> On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:18:16 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com>
>>> wr
>> ote:
>>>
>>> : CCD seems to be able to avoid motion problems that CMOS suffers from.
>>> : How about Canon's 5DII, does it have these issues with video?
>>>
>>> Right, Rich. And I once read a very compelling argument that for various
>>> aerodynamic reasons a bumblebee can't fly.
>>>
>>> Bob
>>
>> I remember a plane in WW2 that had roughly the same shape as a
>> bumblebee and it flew.
>
> Actually, you have to go back to 1932 and the GeeBee R-1, once flown by
> Jimmy Doolittle.
>
> http://photo.net/learn/airshow/images/geebee.jpg
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gee_Bee_Model_R

Yup put enough power in the aircraft and it'll fly. The F-104, had no wings,
and it flew. They talked about a twin engined F-104... but it scared all the
test pilots. The F-4 proved with enough power even a brick can fly.
Helicopters, well that's another thing altogether.