From: RichA on
The original poster is a rank amateur. He argues against a point made
later in the thread in favour of the 7-14mm Panasonic versus the
9-18mm Olympus. The Panasonic is an enthusiast, even a pro lens. The
Olympus is a kit lens. 14-18mm lenses (equivalent on a FF) were never
meant as "walk around lenses." 14-18mm lenses are specific tools meant
for very narrowly defined tasks involving extreme angles, they are not
frigging "street shooting" lenses. We've become spoiled because these
kinds of wide angles weren't available to amateurs for cheap prices
until recently (the last 10 years or so). Prior to that, they were
high priced prime lenses that rarely saw the inside of an amateur's
bag. It's no wonder current owners (some of them) don't have a clue
as to their actual purpose.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=35620547

From: John Navas on
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 20:41:20 -0700 (PDT), in
<ccd9a097-d27c-4940-8488-d3124e49cd48(a)e5g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>The original poster is a rank amateur. He argues against a point made
>later in the thread in favour of the 7-14mm Panasonic versus the
>9-18mm Olympus. The Panasonic is an enthusiast, even a pro lens. The
>Olympus is a kit lens. 14-18mm lenses (equivalent on a FF) were never
>meant as "walk around lenses." 14-18mm lenses are specific tools meant
>for very narrowly defined tasks involving extreme angles, they are not
>frigging "street shooting" lenses. We've become spoiled because these
>kinds of wide angles weren't available to amateurs for cheap prices
>until recently (the last 10 years or so). Prior to that, they were
>high priced prime lenses that rarely saw the inside of an amateur's
>bag. It's no wonder current owners (some of them) don't have a clue
>as to their actual purpose.
>
>http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=35620547

This matters ... why?

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: Mike Russell on
By looking at their images.
--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com
From: Outing Trolls is FUN! on
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 20:41:20 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>The original poster is a rank amateur. He argues against a point made
>later in the thread in favour of the 7-14mm Panasonic versus the

Wrong. All rank amateurs are more concerned with equipment than the
photographs they are trying to create, no matter what camera and lens might
be in their hands.

From: RichA on
On Jun 20, 11:44 pm, John Navas <jn...(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 20:41:20 -0700 (PDT), in
> <ccd9a097-d27c-4940-8488-d3124e49c...(a)e5g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
>
> RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >The original poster is a rank amateur.  He argues against a point made
> >later in the thread in favour of the 7-14mm Panasonic versus the
> >9-18mm Olympus.  The Panasonic is an enthusiast, even a pro lens.  The
> >Olympus is a kit lens.  14-18mm lenses (equivalent on a FF) were never
> >meant as "walk around lenses." 14-18mm lenses are specific tools meant
> >for very narrowly defined tasks involving extreme angles, they are not
> >frigging "street shooting" lenses.  We've become spoiled because these
> >kinds of wide angles weren't available to amateurs for cheap prices
> >until recently (the last 10 years or so).  Prior to that, they were
> >high priced prime lenses that rarely saw the inside of an amateur's
> >bag.  It's no wonder current owners (some of them) don't have a clue
> >as to their actual purpose.
>
> >http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=35620547
>
> This matters ... why?

Because it's there? Why does anything matter?

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: Winter is near
Next: CMOS sensors worthless for video?