From: Val Hallah on
On Jun 21, 5:41 am, RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> The original poster is a rank amateur.  He argues against a point made
> later in the thread in favour of the 7-14mm Panasonic versus the
> 9-18mm Olympus.  The Panasonic is an enthusiast, even a pro lens.  The
> Olympus is a kit lens.  14-18mm lenses (equivalent on a FF) were never
> meant as "walk around lenses." 14-18mm lenses are specific tools meant
> for very narrowly defined tasks involving extreme angles, they are not
> frigging "street shooting" lenses.  We've become spoiled because these
> kinds of wide angles weren't available to amateurs for cheap prices
> until recently (the last 10 years or so).  Prior to that, they were
> high priced prime lenses that rarely saw the inside of an amateur's
> bag.  It's no wonder current owners (some of them) don't have a clue
> as to their actual purpose.
>
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=35620547

rank meaning smelly ?
From: John Navas on
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 04:00:39 -0700, in
<4c2097ec$0$1676$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, SMS
<scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:

>nospam wrote:
>
>> the photographer does matter, but equipment is not irrelevant. knowing
>> when to use a particular camera and/or lens is a skill that seasoned
>> amateurs and pros should have (but not all do, sadly).
>
>This is especially true in terms of wide-angle, where there's a big
>difference between the very low-end extreme wide-angle lenses and decent
>ones (or g-d forbid using lens adapters and converters on a P&S).
>
>However, ironically, digital has somewhat mitigated the need for those
>extreme wide-angle lenses because it's so much easier to do stitched
>panoramics. Though there are drawbacks to the panoramic approach, it is
>adequate for the typical P&S user.
>
>The need for extreme wide-angle is probably #3 in the reasons why
>digital SLRs continue to increase in sales faster than P&S cameras (#1
>being low-light/high ISO capability, and #2 being AF lag).

None of which are real issues.

The only reason dSLR sales are increasing faster is that they are coming
up from a much lower base.

--
Best regards,
John

"Those who have knowledge, don't predict.
Those who predict, don't have knowledge." [Lao-Tzu]
From: John Navas on
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 04:20:41 -0700, in
<4c209c9e$0$1638$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, SMS
<scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:

>Rich wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> Go shoot a close-in sports even and say that. All equipment has
>> limitations, some a lot more than others and the photographer (no matter
>> how good) is at a disadvantage because of it.
>
>That's the bottom line. There are certainly situations where excellent
>results can be obtained with equipment that has limitations that don't
>matter much for the specific situation. But there are many times when
>the equipment makes a huge difference, and without the proper equipment
>you would not even bother to try to get the shot because you know that
>it's just not possible.

Assuming good equipment, such situations are actually few and far
between (for most of the rest of us at least). Such exaggeration tends
to come from those who claim great equipment will somehow make up for
their lack of great technique.

>... Since I use it
>extensively, and since I contributed to the documentation for it, I try
>to spread the word about it. ...

LLPOF

--
Best regards,
John

"It is better to sit in silence and appear ignorant,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." -Mark Twain
"A little learning is a dangerous thing." -Alexander Pope
"Being ignorant is not so much a shame,
as being unwilling to learn." -Benjamin Franklin
From: John Navas on
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 04:02:05 -0700, in
<4c209841$0$1676$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, SMS
<scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:

>RichA wrote:
>> On Jun 21, 2:19 pm, "/dev/null/" <d...(a)null.invalid> wrote:
>>> Your point is moot, neither Panasonic or Olympus are pro cameras.
>>
>> At some point in the near future, pro will no longer always include
>> bulk.
>
>There will either need to be some major advancements in sensor and
>optical technology for that to happen, or several laws of physics will
>need to be repealed.

If it were true that smaller photosites inevitably resulted in worse
images, then newer dSLR cameras with much smaller photosites than older
dSLR cameras would produce much worse images, when in fact they produce
much better images. The reason is that it's not that simple -- image
quality depends on many complex factors and tradeoffs.

From: John Navas on
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 03:54:04 -0700, in
<4c209661$0$1671$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, SMS
<scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:

>It's ironic how four-thirds is touted as an open standard when in fact
>the non-open-standard Nikon and Canon mounts have far greater
>availability in lenses from third party manufacturers. You've even had
>third-party manufacturers making bodies that used Nikon or Canon lenses,
>so you could theoretically have put together a system with no Nikon or
>Canon equipment, but that used a Nikon or Canon mount.

What's not ironic are the compatibility problems that resulted.

--
Best regards,
John

"It is better to sit in silence and appear ignorant,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." -Mark Twain
"A little learning is a dangerous thing." -Alexander Pope
"Being ignorant is not so much a shame,
as being unwilling to learn." -Benjamin Franklin
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Prev: Winter is near
Next: CMOS sensors worthless for video?