From: Ray Fischer on
John Navas <jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
> SMS

>>The need for extreme wide-angle is probably #3 in the reasons why
>>digital SLRs continue to increase in sales faster than P&S cameras (#1
>>being low-light/high ISO capability, and #2 being AF lag).
>
>Why do you persist is making claims that only serve to make you look
>ignorant and foolish? Is it because you really don't know the facts?
>Well here you go:
>
>FZ28
><http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Panasonic-Lumix-DMCFZ28-10658>
>
> Shutter lag times started off looking promising at 0.04sec but it
> turned out I was being over eager as I started to get consistent
> results of 0.08sec which is the standard for any compact up to bridge
> and prosumer status.

How does Navas lie? By pretending that "shutter lag" is the only delay
involved in taking a picture. By ignoring the glacial autofocus times
and the sluggish rate at which such cameras process and save photos.

In other words, a "shutter lag" of zero wouldn't help in the slightest
if the camera took 800msec to focus and save the picture.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Ben Dover on
On 01 Jul 2010 07:37:25 GMT, rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:

>John Navas <jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>> SMS
>
>>>The need for extreme wide-angle is probably #3 in the reasons why
>>>digital SLRs continue to increase in sales faster than P&S cameras (#1
>>>being low-light/high ISO capability, and #2 being AF lag).
>>
>>Why do you persist is making claims that only serve to make you look
>>ignorant and foolish? Is it because you really don't know the facts?
>>Well here you go:
>>
>>FZ28
>><http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Panasonic-Lumix-DMCFZ28-10658>
>>
>> Shutter lag times started off looking promising at 0.04sec but it
>> turned out I was being over eager as I started to get consistent
>> results of 0.08sec which is the standard for any compact up to bridge
>> and prosumer status.
>
>How does Navas lie? By pretending that "shutter lag" is the only delay
>involved in taking a picture. By ignoring the glacial autofocus times
>and the sluggish rate at which such cameras process and save photos.
>
>In other words, a "shutter lag" of zero wouldn't help in the slightest
>if the camera took 800msec to focus and save the picture.

To the readers of the world: We sincerely apologize for Ray Fischer's
ignorance and lack of talent and skill. You see, he can only use cameras in
fully automatic modes like any beginner snapshooter and crapshooter. He has
no basic concepts of pre-focusing a camera to a hyperfocal setting or any
other of the most basic of tasks that any real photographer masters in his
first year. He's still trying to pretend to be a photographer while still
using any camera, DSLR or not, in fully automated P&S modes. If he's ever
used any real cameras at all that is.

From: SMS on
On 01/07/10 12:37 AM, Ray Fischer wrote:

> In other words, a "shutter lag" of zero wouldn't help in the slightest
> if the camera took 800msec to focus and save the picture.

Surely you realize that "shutter lag" is often used to describe the sum
of AF lag and shutter lag. In reality it's the contrast detect focusing
of the P&S that causes the AF lag, and while it's not as bad as it was
in the past, it still is much slower than phase-detect AF, especially in
challenging situations.

It's of little consequence when shooting landscapes in good light. It's
of major concern when photographing children or wild life, or when
shooting in low light.
From: John Navas on
On 01 Jul 2010 07:37:25 GMT, in
<4c2c45b5$0$1581$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray
Fischer) wrote:

>John Navas <jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>> SMS
>
>>>The need for extreme wide-angle is probably #3 in the reasons why
>>>digital SLRs continue to increase in sales faster than P&S cameras (#1
>>>being low-light/high ISO capability, and #2 being AF lag).
>>
>>Why do you persist is making claims that only serve to make you look
>>ignorant and foolish? Is it because you really don't know the facts?
>>Well here you go:
>>
>>FZ28
>><http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Panasonic-Lumix-DMCFZ28-10658>
>>
>> Shutter lag times started off looking promising at 0.04sec but it
>> turned out I was being over eager as I started to get consistent
>> results of 0.08sec which is the standard for any compact up to bridge
>> and prosumer status.
>
>How does Navas lie? By pretending that "shutter lag" is the only delay
>involved in taking a picture. By ignoring the glacial autofocus times
>and the sluggish rate at which such cameras process and save photos.
>
>In other words, a "shutter lag" of zero wouldn't help in the slightest
>if the camera took 800msec to focus and save the picture.

The lie here is your selective quotation. The part you snipped:

FZ8
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz8/page5.asp>

Again focus (using the high speed AF mode) is very fast. Shutter lag
is marginally slower than the FZ7 - the difference is down to the
video lag on the live preview (the actual delay between pressing the
button and the shot being taken is almost instantaneous).

--
Best regards,
John

"I would like to take you seriously,
but to do so would affront your intelligence."
[William F. Buckley, Jr]
From: John Navas on
On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 05:14:27 -0700, in
<4c2c86a2$0$22165$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, SMS
<scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:

>On 01/07/10 12:37 AM, Ray Fischer wrote:
>
>> In other words, a "shutter lag" of zero wouldn't help in the slightest
>> if the camera took 800msec to focus and save the picture.
>
>Surely you realize that "shutter lag" is often used to describe the sum
>of AF lag and shutter lag. In reality it's the contrast detect focusing
>of the P&S that causes the AF lag, and while it's not as bad as it was
>in the past, it still is much slower than phase-detect AF, especially in
>challenging situations.
>
>It's of little consequence when shooting landscapes in good light. It's
>of major concern when photographing children or wild life, or when
>shooting in low light.

My post proves with factual citations that there is no lag issue.
Your post as usual is just unsupported claims to the contrary.
What to believe, what to believe, what to believe ... ;)

--
Best regards,
John

"It is better to sit in silence and appear ignorant,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." -Mark Twain
"A little learning is a dangerous thing." -Alexander Pope
"Being ignorant is not so much a shame,
as being unwilling to learn." -Benjamin Franklin