From: Chris Malcolm on
In rec.photo.digital SMS <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:
> On 01/07/10 8:48 AM, SMS wrote:

>>> Surely you realize that "shutter lag" is often used to describe the sum
>>> of AF lag and shutter lag. In reality it's the contrast detect focusing
>>> of the P&S that causes the AF lag, and while it's not as bad as it was
>>> in the past, it still is much slower than phase-detect AF, especially in
>>> challenging situations.
>>>
>>> It's of little consequence when shooting landscapes in good light. It's
>>> of major concern when photographing children or wild life, or when
>>> shooting in low light.
>>
>> Sorry about that post, I read the part "How does Navas lie" as if you
>> were implying that he wasn't lying (when is he _not_ lying?).
>>
>> BTW, there's a web site in the UK that lists the lag of many P&S
>> cameras, "http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutter-lag-comparisons.cfm".

> Also, Imaging Resource always prominently displays both the shutter lag
> and the AF lag of the cameras they test. I.e. the Panasonic FZ-35 has a
> full lag time of around 0.35 second which is one of the faster lag times
> for a P&S. The Canon EOS-50D has a full lag time of about 0.13 seconds.
> The slowest D-SLR is probably close to the fasted P&S, when you're not
> using live view. If you use live view then the D-SLR uses
> contrast-detection AF and the AF times worsen to those comparable to a P&S.

Unless it's one of those DSLRs (e.g. some Sony Alphas) that uses a
separate live view sensor, which means it can still use fast phase
focusing when using live view.

--
Chris Malcolm
Warning: none of the above is indisputable fact.
From: whisky-dave on

"SMS" <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote in message
> On 01/07/10 12:37 AM, Ray Fischer wrote:
>
>> In other words, a "shutter lag" of zero wouldn't help in the slightest
>> if the camera took 800msec to focus and save the picture.
>
> Surely you realize that "shutter lag" is often used to describe the sum of
> AF lag and shutter lag. In reality it's the contrast detect focusing of
> the P&S that causes the AF lag, and while it's not as bad as it was in the
> past, it still is much slower than phase-detect AF, especially in
> challenging situations.

I've always connsider shutter lag as shutter lag in that it's the differnce
in time between activate the shutter button (in a sense that's the picture
you wish to take) compared to the time it takes the electronics to open the
shutter and store the image in it's buffer.
Focausing has nothin gto do with shutter lag.

> It's of little consequence when shooting landscapes in good light. It's of
> major concern when photographing children or wild life, or when shooting
> in low light.

Well in all these cases I think focus is a seperate issue, as is framing
and decision making.

From: whisky-dave on

>> BTW, there's a web site in the UK that lists the lag of many P&S
>> cameras, "http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutter-lag-comparisons.cfm".
>>

> Oops, hit send too soon.
>
> Also, Imaging Resource always prominently displays both the shutter lag
> and the AF lag of the cameras they test.

Do you happen to know the lag on a purely mechanical camera
say a SLR from the 70s like my old Practica L or even my first truely
'electronic' canon A1 .

From: John Navas on
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 14:01:24 +0100, in <i0knuu$58d$1(a)qmul>, "whisky-dave"
<whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote:

>"SMS" <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote in message
>
>>> BTW, there's a web site in the UK that lists the lag of many P&S
>>> cameras, "http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutter-lag-comparisons.cfm".
>>
>> Oops, hit send too soon.
>>
>> Also, Imaging Resource always prominently displays both the shutter lag
>> and the AF lag of the cameras they test.
>
>Do you happen to know the lag on a purely mechanical camera
>say a SLR from the 70s like my old Practica L or even my first truely
>'electronic' canon A1 .

No. I say that with confidence, because he clearly doesn't know the lag
on *any* camera.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: Peter on
"whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote in message

> "SMS" <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote in message
>> On 01/07/10 12:37 AM, Ray Fischer wrote:
>>
>>> In other words, a "shutter lag" of zero wouldn't help in the slightest
>>> if the camera took 800msec to focus and save the picture.
>>
>> Surely you realize that "shutter lag" is often used to describe the sum
>> of AF lag and shutter lag. In reality it's the contrast detect focusing
>> of the P&S that causes the AF lag, and while it's not as bad as it was in
>> the past, it still is much slower than phase-detect AF, especially in
>> challenging situations.
>>

> I've always connsider shutter lag as shutter lag in that it's the
> differnce in time between activate the shutter button (in a sense that's
> the picture you wish to take) compared to the time it takes the
> electronics to open the shutter and store the image in it's buffer.
> Focausing has nothin gto do with shutter lag.

Using your perception, focusing time is included in the parameters you set.

--
Peter