From: SMS on
On 03/07/10 2:44 AM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

<snip>

>> "It is better to sit in silence and appear ignorant,
>> than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." -Mark Twain
>> "A little learning is a dangerous thing." -Alexander Pope
>> "Being ignorant is not so much a shame,
>> as being unwilling to learn." -Benjamin Franklin
>
> It seems you learned little about lag times and removed all doubt
> that you are ignorant what the difference between AF lag and
> shutter lag is. Now, let's see if B. Franklin also describes you.

Isn't it the ultimate irony that all of his little tag lines actually
apply so clearly to himself.
From: John Navas on
On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 08:08:02 +0100, in
<i0mnkj$j1f$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>"nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>[]
>> unless the dslr isn't in a bag and the compact is in a pocket. if
>> someone is on a shoot, they'd likely have the dslr out and ready.
>
>Better add the extra time pushing those P&S zoom-in and zoom-out buttons
>alternately to get the framing approximately right as well....

Sure, for those like you who don't know how to use them effectively
(and presume to characterize cameras they're never actually used).
But no problem for those of us who do.

"It's a poor workman who blames his tools."

--
Best regards,
John

From: David J Taylor on
"John Navas" <jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
[]
> Sure, for those like you who don't know how to use them effectively
> (and presume to characterize cameras they're never actually used).
> But no problem for those of us who do.
>
> "It's a poor workman who blames his tools."
>
> --
> Best regards,
> John
>
> "It is better to sit in silence and appear ignorant,
> than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." -Mark Twain
> "A little learning is a dangerous thing." -Alexander Pope
> "Being ignorant is not so much a shame,
> as being unwilling to learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Your continued personal attacks deter me from a fuller reply.

From: Doug McDonald on
On 7/2/2010 9:24 PM, John Navas wrote:

>> Casio has something like that, maybe others do too. Essentially it's
>> capturing frames even before you fully depress the button. You get a
>> bunch of frames before and after you press the button and can select
>> which ones you want to keep. Of course it's got some serious flaws, but
>> it's designed to try to work around the slow CDAF of a P&S.
>
> No, because the speed of CDAF isn't an issue.
> The issue is [drum roll] human reaction time,
> which is much slower than CDAF time.

The issue is FOCUS. This can't be solved with contrast focus
on the main sensor nor phase focus on TTL sensors.

To do it right requires phase focus using a separate, non-TTL,
dual-window, dual aux sensor method. In other words, auto-
rangefinder.

Doug
From: John Navas on
On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 09:22:04 -0500, in
<i0ngss$e66$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Doug McDonald
<mcdonald(a)scs.uiuc.edu> wrote:

>On 7/2/2010 9:24 PM, John Navas wrote:
>
>>> Casio has something like that, maybe others do too. Essentially it's
>>> capturing frames even before you fully depress the button. You get a
>>> bunch of frames before and after you press the button and can select
>>> which ones you want to keep. Of course it's got some serious flaws, but
>>> it's designed to try to work around the slow CDAF of a P&S.
>>
>> No, because the speed of CDAF isn't an issue.
>> The issue is [drum roll] human reaction time,
>> which is much slower than CDAF time.
>
>The issue is FOCUS. This can't be solved with contrast focus
>on the main sensor nor phase focus on TTL sensors.
>
>To do it right requires phase focus using a separate, non-TTL,
>dual-window, dual aux sensor method. In other words, auto-
>rangefinder.

While not perfect, TTL auto-focus works quite well in practice.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams