From: nospam on
In article <9s0436hjo7s7rrnp6or68uc7988k4p901t(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> Point and shoot as used here is pejorative, as I'm sure you know.

nope.

> Canon does not use "point and shoot" for its high-end models, only its
> lower models. Likewise Olympus.

wrong. olympus does:

<http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital.asp?section=sp>

b&h calls them point and shoot and so does keh, as do a lot of people.

only in your mind is it considered to be derogatory.

you're threatened. it's clear.
From: John McWilliams on
John Navas wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 08:59:36 -0700, in
> <i0svh9$554$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>>> b&h photo, one of the largest if not *the* largest worldwide seller of
>>> photo equipment, classifies digital cameras into three categories,
>>> point & shoot, slr and mirrorless system cameras for the latest large
>>> sensor compacts, a category that didn't exist until recently.
>>>
>>> <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Digital-Cameras/ci/991/N/4291645412>
>>>
>>> olympus calls their own cameras 'feature rich point and shoot cameras.'
>>> it's hardly pejorative when the maker themselves use the term.
>>>
>>> <http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital.asp?section=sp>
>> You're right, but it's perjorative to John. I've been writing "compact"
>> for a while. It doesn't hurt.
>
> Point and shoot as used here is pejorative, as I'm sure you know.

Some use it that way, most do not, I am sure. I started using "compact"
in deference to your view, besides which it's shorter to type.

--
john mcwilliams

From: nospam on
In article <i0t1ks$dgk$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, John McWilliams
<jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> John Navas wrote:
> > Point and shoot as used here is pejorative, as I'm sure you know.
>
> Some use it that way, most do not, I am sure.

true. he's threatened so he resorts to word games.

> I started using "compact"
> in deference to your view, besides which it's shorter to type.

p&s is even shorter :)
From: Pete on
On 2010-07-05 15:10:20 +0100, John Navas said:

> "Point and shoot" is a pejorative when applied to high-end bridge
> cameras here, and "pretty much everyone" is a wild exaggeration, as I'm
> sure you know.

From what I've understood from reading several Usenet photography
groups since last November, my initial reaction would be to disagree.
However, you did say "here" so I stay open-minded.

My perception is that hatred of DSLR owners in the various groups seems
to be an order of magnitude worse than the pejorative remarks in the
other direction. Owning both an old (but very nice) P&S and a DSLR
makes me dislike all of the arguments. It appears that you may have
thought I was a DSLR nutter and I thought you were an anti-DSLR person.

I get the impression that polarization of views is not helped by
starting a thread topic in the wrong group(s). The only few threads
I've started were in alt.photography because I guessed the ensuing
discussions would go off-topic for more specific rec.photo groups.

I would love to have a high-end bridge camera (what is the correct
short-name for these?), but my inescapable limitations make it
impossible for me to use one properly. Luckily, I didn't find the time
to sell my old SLR lenses when I had to give up photography 12 years
ago: I now manage to enjoy my passion for night and twilight
photography, just bumbling along step-by-step.

My wish that the petty arguments will end is as ridiculous as me
writing to Santa asking for a new lens. The only person I can change is
myself - it's a pity there's no equivalent of GPS to point me in the
right direction. Some may say that Usenet will send me off-course
faster than anything else, yet my interaction during the last 8 months
has been an interesting journey: both confusing and valuable. I have
changed!

--
Pete

From: Neil Harrington on

"John Navas" <jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 08:08:02 +0100, in
> <i0mnkj$j1f$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
>>"nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>>[]
>>> unless the dslr isn't in a bag and the compact is in a pocket. if
>>> someone is on a shoot, they'd likely have the dslr out and ready.
>>
>>Better add the extra time pushing those P&S zoom-in and zoom-out buttons
>>alternately to get the framing approximately right as well....
>
> Sure, for those like you who don't know how to use them effectively
> (and presume to characterize cameras they're never actually used).
> But no problem for those of us who do.

Tell me, John, how do you use those pushbuttons "effectively" enough to come
anywhere near the speed and accuracy of a manual zoom ring? Since I often
use compact cameras as well as DSLRs, I would love to know the proper
technique.