From: nospam on
In article <a2p3365iqrp51sl6hcj2j9di6gr8bjoiqt(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >What do you mean by the lag of a camera, don;t you realise there's many
> >areas where lag can be accumulated.
>
> For course. Much depends on how the camera is configured, and on the
> skill of the user.

lag is not a function of the user's skill. the camera is either fast or
it's not.

how well a user can deal with a slow camera may involve skill (and a
little bit of luck too).

> >For me there are many areas of lag, one I eliminated wass by not usiong a
> >lens cap when I was ready to take photos, another was focusing before I take
> >the shot, rather than just before I take the shot.
>
> Sure. I likewise configure my camera appropriately when shooting fast
> action, with settings I've stored in a custom configuration that can be
> set with a twist of the mode dial. That's Fast Focus mode for most
> cases, although I sometimes switch to Continuous Focus or Manual Focus
> (pre-focus) when it makes more sense to do so.

in other words, you have a number of workarounds for limitations of the
camera.

> This is the kind of thing known only to people who have actually used a
> given camera enough to know how to use it well. Those like Steven who
> rely only on what they read on the Internet are thus easily mistaken
> about the true capabilities of a camera, as is painfully obvious from
> all the mistakes he posts to Usenet.
>
> But even just a half-press of the shutter button in preparation for a
> shot will pre-focus any decent camera, avoiding any focus lag when the
> shot is taken, which even Steven should know, so there really is no
> excuse for his statements.

what was that you like to say about attacking the man?
From: nospam on
In article <jqp336pm2j077tides4a13jl308lgrcohm(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >> it was pointed out to him that pretty much everyone calls non-dslrs
> >> point and shoot cameras, including stores who sell them and even the
> >> manufacturers of the cameras themselves. it's common usage of the term.
> >>
> >> none of that mattered to him. he called it a pejorative, which meant it
> >> gave him an exit strategy. it's one of his usual tactics.
> >
> >Thanks, I hadn't realized that.
>
> "Point and shoot" is a pejorative when applied to high-end bridge
> cameras here, and "pretty much everyone" is a wild exaggeration, as I'm
> sure you know.

wrong, no matter how hard you try to rationalize it.

you must be really threatened.

b&h photo, one of the largest if not *the* largest worldwide seller of
photo equipment, classifies digital cameras into three categories,
point & shoot, slr and mirrorless system cameras for the latest large
sensor compacts, a category that didn't exist until recently.

<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Digital-Cameras/ci/991/N/4291645412>

olympus calls their own cameras 'feature rich point and shoot cameras.'
it's hardly pejorative when the maker themselves use the term.

<http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital.asp?section=sp>
From: John McWilliams on
nospam wrote:

>>> Thanks, I hadn't realized that.
>> "Point and shoot" is a pejorative when applied to high-end bridge
>> cameras here, and "pretty much everyone" is a wild exaggeration, as I'm
>> sure you know.
>
> wrong, no matter how hard you try to rationalize it.
>
> you must be really threatened.
>
> b&h photo, one of the largest if not *the* largest worldwide seller of
> photo equipment, classifies digital cameras into three categories,
> point & shoot, slr and mirrorless system cameras for the latest large
> sensor compacts, a category that didn't exist until recently.
>
> <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Digital-Cameras/ci/991/N/4291645412>
>
> olympus calls their own cameras 'feature rich point and shoot cameras.'
> it's hardly pejorative when the maker themselves use the term.
>
> <http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital.asp?section=sp>

You're right, but it's perjorative to John. I've been writing "compact"
for a while. It doesn't hurt.

--
john mcwilliams
From: John McWilliams on
Ray Fischer wrote:
> John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>>>
>> Q.E.D.
>
> You're just annoyed that I dared to point out that you defend trolls.

Hardly, Ray. I point out that you feed the trolls, swear at them, tell
them to go away, AND: It only makes them stick around more. That's my
point, full stop.

--
john mcwilliams
From: John Navas on
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 08:59:36 -0700, in
<i0svh9$554$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, John McWilliams
<jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>nospam wrote:

>>> "Point and shoot" is a pejorative when applied to high-end bridge
>>> cameras here, and "pretty much everyone" is a wild exaggeration, as I'm
>>> sure you know.
>>
>> wrong, no matter how hard you try to rationalize it.
>>
>> you must be really threatened.
>>
>> b&h photo, one of the largest if not *the* largest worldwide seller of
>> photo equipment, classifies digital cameras into three categories,
>> point & shoot, slr and mirrorless system cameras for the latest large
>> sensor compacts, a category that didn't exist until recently.
>>
>> <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Digital-Cameras/ci/991/N/4291645412>
>>
>> olympus calls their own cameras 'feature rich point and shoot cameras.'
>> it's hardly pejorative when the maker themselves use the term.
>>
>> <http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital.asp?section=sp>
>
>You're right, but it's perjorative to John. I've been writing "compact"
>for a while. It doesn't hurt.

Point and shoot as used here is pejorative, as I'm sure you know.

Canon does not use "point and shoot" for its high-end models, only its
lower models. Likewise Olympus.

Nikon uses the term "digital compact cameras".

Pansonic uses the term "digital camera".

etc. etc.

--
John

"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea - massive,
difficult to redirect, awe inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind
boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it." --Gene Spafford