From: Mike Russell on
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 21:43:51 -0500, Die Wahrheit wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 21:30:38 -0500, Allen <allent(a)austin.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>Naturally, the subject rapidly turned to equipment, which may or may not
>> identify amateur vs. pro.
>>The best way to tell is this: the amateur is the one who is smiling and
>>appears to be enjoying him/herself.
>>Allen
>
> The amateur just does it more often. The fool, all the time. The true Pro
> only when it really matters to the art of photography. Their joy now being
> 100-fold that of the amateur or fool. Greater views for greater enjoyment
> require more challenging climbs.

Or a helicopter.
--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com
From: J. Clarke on
On 7/6/2010 12:07 AM, Mike Russell wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 21:43:51 -0500, Die Wahrheit wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 21:30:38 -0500, Allen<allent(a)austin.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Naturally, the subject rapidly turned to equipment, which may or may not
>>> identify amateur vs. pro.
>>> The best way to tell is this: the amateur is the one who is smiling and
>>> appears to be enjoying him/herself.
>>> Allen
>>
>> The amateur just does it more often. The fool, all the time. The true Pro
>> only when it really matters to the art of photography. Their joy now being
>> 100-fold that of the amateur or fool. Greater views for greater enjoyment
>> require more challenging climbs.
>
> Or a helicopter.

The true pro doesn't give a hoot in Hell about art, he's in it for the
money.

From: David J Taylor on

"Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
> "Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote in message
>>

>> Compact or ultracompact, depending on the size. Any camera that fits
>> easily in a shirt pocket I would call an ultracompact. Otherwise,
>> anything up to say a Coolpix 8800 in size I would call a compact. It
>> would be ridiculous to call an 8800, which has just about every
>> imaginable control, a P&S.
>
> I own an 8800, which I have always referred to as a P&S. Yes, it does
> have a lot of controls. I converted it to infra red and still use it.
>

> This whole conversation is ridiculous.
>

> --
> Peter

There's only one person who objects to "P&S" - the rest of us are quite
happy! I own both and have no problem with the term.

Cheers,
David

From: Die Wahrheit on
On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 00:53:09 -0400, "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net>
wrote:

>On 7/6/2010 12:07 AM, Mike Russell wrote:

>>> The amateur just does it more often. The fool, all the time. The true Pro
>>> only when it really matters to the art of photography. Their joy now being
>>> 100-fold that of the amateur or fool. Greater views for greater enjoyment
>>> require more challenging climbs.
>>
>> Or a helicopter.
>
>The true pro doesn't give a hoot in Hell about art, he's in it for the
>money.

The pro that lets the whims of those with money define his art is no pro.

From: nospam on
In article <i0uijd$nn$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, David J Taylor
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> There's only one person who objects to "P&S" - the rest of us are quite
> happy! I own both and have no problem with the term.

who cares what it's called. people know what is meant by p&s and slr
and that's all that matters. language evolves. the whole pejorative
nonsense is his way of arguing, particularly when his position is weak.