From: John Navas on
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 18:48:22 -0500, in
<ecednU2ZtrjbZ4LRnZ2dnUVZ_t-dnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Rich <none(a)nowhere.com>
wrote:

>John Navas <jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in

>> While really "cheap" P&S do have their limitations, affordable P&S
>> (compact digital) cameras are now easily capable of producing excellent
>> images. When something falls short, it's the photographer, not the
>> eequipment.
>
>Go shoot a close-in sports even and say that.

Been there; done that; very nice results.

>All equipment has
>limitations, some a lot more than others

True.

>and the photographer (no matter
>how good) is at a disadvantage because of it.

The good photographer simply makes the best use of the equipment
available.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: John Navas on
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 22:58:16 -0400, in
<3j90265tg28g01cjm5er1rbtd9ip7rkbjv(a)4ax.com>, Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM>
wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 10:23:44 -0700, John Navas <jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>: The only way to tell to tell a rank amateur from a seasoned one, or a
>: pro, is to look at their images. Equipment is irrelevant, except to
>: those who mistakenly think great equipment will make them great
>: photographers. It won't. What matters is the photographer, not the
>: equipment.
>
>How dare you, sir? I spent more than $600 on my wide-angle lens. If that
>doesn't count for something, there's no justice in the world!

Touche! :)

From: John Navas on
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 06:26:37 -0700, in
<mS2Un.40783$7d5.23651(a)newsfe17.iad>, "gordito995(a)teranews.com"
<none(a)phony.net> wrote:

>"RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> The original poster is a rank amateur.
>
>The pro does not denigrate others. He is able to rise above that and provide
>positive responses.

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people
always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can
become great." -Mark Twain
From: John McWilliams on
John Navas wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 18:48:22 -0500, in
> <ecednU2ZtrjbZ4LRnZ2dnUVZ_t-dnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Rich <none(a)nowhere.com>

>> All equipment has
>> limitations, some a lot more than others
>
> True.
>
>> and the photographer (no matter
>> how good) is at a disadvantage because of it.
>
> The good photographer simply makes the best use of the equipment
> available.

Amen.

--
john mcwilliams
From: Pete Stavrakoglou on
"SMS" <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote in message
> John McWilliams wrote:
>> SMS wrote:

>>> It's denigrating someone to state the fact about their experience level.
>>> Everyone was a "rant amateur" at some point.
>>
>> << Snipped bits out >>
>>
>> Was that a typo, or a clever pun?? We do seem to have our share of
>> ranters, both rank and seasoned.
>
> A typo, but maybe a Freudian slip, LOL. It can sometimes be a fine line
> when you explain to others something that they may not want to hear. If
> they're sensitive about having made a mistake they can respond defensively
> or in anger. You certainly see this often on rec.photo.digital. It's an
> attitude that I don't like, but I can accept the fact that there are times
> when I may not have bought the best product for the money, without being
> upset about it.
>
>> IAE, no one seems to be talking about the rank pro vs. seasoned
>> amateur.....
>
> The seasoned amateur does not own a 4:3 or micro 4:3 camera.

That will come as a surprise to the seasoned amateurs I know who have a 4/3
system.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Prev: Winter is near
Next: CMOS sensors worthless for video?