From: Bruce on
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 12:51:48 -0700, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
wrote:

>BTW, I didn't realize different brand m4/3 lenses were actually
>compatible for electrical connections, metering, AF, etc... That's got
>to be a first in the industry, ever.
>
>> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=35620547

There have been incompatibilities, especially with Olympus lenses used
on Panasonic bodies. However, the co-operation between the two
companies to solve these problems has been particularly impressive.

It's a pity that there are no third party manufacturers making a range
of lenses for Four Thirds. Yes, I know about Sigma, but the lenses
are adaptations of Sigma lenses for other formats, particularly APS-C,
rather than being designed from scratch for Four Thirds.

Given that Four Thirds is an open standard, a third party manufacturer
who produced a range of high quality lenses for [Micro] Four Thirds
might do very well out of it.

From: nospam on
In article <gs7v165dcdcsosaknrhb72s06tbnn8pqup(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> The only way to tell to tell a rank amateur from a seasoned one, or a
> pro, is to look at their images. Equipment is irrelevant, except to
> those who mistakenly think great equipment will make them great
> photographers. It won't. What matters is the photographer, not the
> equipment.

the photographer does matter, but equipment is not irrelevant. knowing
when to use a particular camera and/or lens is a skill that seasoned
amateurs and pros should have (but not all do, sadly).
From: RichA on
On Jun 21, 2:19 pm, "/dev/null/" <d...(a)null.invalid> wrote:
> Your point is moot, neither Panasonic or Olympus are pro cameras.

At some point in the near future, pro will no longer always include
bulk.
From: RichA on
On Jun 21, 3:51 pm, Paul Furman <pa...@-edgehill.net> wrote:
> RichA wrote:
> > The original poster is a rank amateur.  He argues against a point made
> > later in the thread in favour of the 7-14mm Panasonic versus the
> > 9-18mm Olympus.  The Panasonic is an enthusiast, even a pro lens.  The
> > Olympus is a kit lens.  14-18mm lenses (equivalent on a FF) were never
> > meant as "walk around lenses." 14-18mm lenses are specific tools meant
> > for very narrowly defined tasks involving extreme angles, they are not
> > frigging "street shooting" lenses.  We've become spoiled because these
> > kinds of wide angles weren't available to amateurs for cheap prices
> > until recently (the last 10 years or so).  Prior to that, they were
> > high priced prime lenses that rarely saw the inside of an amateur's
> > bag.  It's no wonder current owners (some of them) don't have a clue
> > as to their actual purpose.
>
> I don't know what you're rambling on about. People walk around with
> whatever lens that pleases them. The Oly is apparently compact, which is
> great for walking around with a small camera street shooting, and costs
> less, which is the other point of m4/3. I love wide angle street
> shooting at 12mm FF. The demo pics are not award winning high art but
> nothing wrong with them either and I didn't see where they claimed to be
> pro.
>
> BTW, I didn't realize different brand m4/3 lenses were actually
> compatible for electrical connections, metering, AF, etc... That's got
> to be a first in the industry, ever.
>
> >http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=35620547

Them, and some 4/3rds lenses are.
From: RichA on
On Jun 21, 1:23 pm, John Navas <jn...(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 10:09:02 -0700 (PDT), in
> <87351056-2e43-4c5c-b33d-c1d2a42d0...(a)d4g2000vbl.googlegroups.com>,
>

> RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Jun 20, 11:44 pm, John Navas <jn...(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
> >> On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 20:41:20 -0700 (PDT), in
> >> <ccd9a097-d27c-4940-8488-d3124e49c...(a)e5g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,

> >> This matters ... why?
>
> >Because it's there?  Why does anything matter?
>
> I didn't think so.  Thanks for the confirmation.
>
> The only way to tell to tell a rank amateur from a seasoned one, or a
> pro, is to look at their images.  Equipment is irrelevant, except to
> those who mistakenly think great equipment will make them great
> photographers.  It won't.  What matters is the photographer, not the
> equipment.

Go shoot an image with a cheap P&S. Use whatever compositional skills
you have. It'll still suck technically and there is nothing you could
do to prevent it because the equipment would fall short.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Prev: Winter is near
Next: CMOS sensors worthless for video?