From: Robert on
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 01:25:51 -0600, Jeff Campbell <n8wxs(a)arrl.net> wrote:

>Robert wrote:
>> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 00:40:25 -0600, Jeff Campbell <n8wxs(a)arrl.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Here are the results I got:
>>>
>>> Null test 0
>>> Index 24
>>> Subscript 20
>>> Subscript comp-5 20
>>> Index 1 24
>>> Subscript 1 20
>>> Subscript 1 comp-5 20
>>
>> Which CPU?
>
>Same as before with speed1, an Alpha Personal Workstation 600au
>running OpenVMS 7.3-1.

Thanks.

Does anyone have access to an Itanium? I predict it can run the test five times faster
than other CPUs.
From: Anonymous on
In article <35lgf39gm4180f815ad99hn1b5ku80kd82(a)4ax.com>,
Robert <no(a)e.mail> wrote:

[snip]

>So index is twice as fast as subscript on an IBM mainframe.

.... with these particular compiler options and that particular machine
configuration and the other load-of-the-moment.

Now, Mr Wagner... is one to expect another dreary series of repetitions
about how mainframers who said that indices were faster than subscripts
were, in fact, right about something?

DD
From: Robert on
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 09:25:04 +0000 (UTC), docdwarf(a)panix.com () wrote:

>In article <35lgf39gm4180f815ad99hn1b5ku80kd82(a)4ax.com>,
>Robert <no(a)e.mail> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>>So index is twice as fast as subscript on an IBM mainframe.
>
>... with these particular compiler options and that particular machine
>configuration and the other load-of-the-moment.

Modern machines have more than one CPU. Activity on other CPUs doesn't affect a timing
test THAT much, not like the old days.

>Now, Mr Wagner... is one to expect another dreary series of repetitions
>about how mainframers who said that indices were faster than subscripts
>were, in fact, right about something?

I expected I-told-you-so from the mainframe camp.

From: Richard on
On Sep 26, 5:32 am, Robert <n...(a)e.mail> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 09:25:04 +0000 (UTC), docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
> >In article <35lgf39gm4180f815ad99hn1b5ku80k...(a)4ax.com>,
> >Robert <n...(a)e.mail> wrote:
>
> >[snip]
>
> >>So index is twice as fast as subscript on an IBM mainframe.
>
> >... with these particular compiler options and that particular machine
> >configuration and the other load-of-the-moment.
>
> Modern machines have more than one CPU. Activity on other CPUs doesn't affect a timing
> test THAT much, not like the old days.
>
> >Now, Mr Wagner... is one to expect another dreary series of repetitions
> >about how mainframers who said that indices were faster than subscripts
> >were, in fact, right about something?
>
> I expected I-told-you-so from the mainframe camp.

Look on the positive side, Robert, at least you got _one_ thing right.

From: Anonymous on
In article <regif3d0b34nreavsckap09omqjhptnik8(a)4ax.com>,
Robert <no(a)e.mail> wrote:
>On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 09:25:04 +0000 (UTC), docdwarf(a)panix.com () wrote:
>
>>In article <35lgf39gm4180f815ad99hn1b5ku80kd82(a)4ax.com>,
>>Robert <no(a)e.mail> wrote:
>>
>>[snip]
>>
>>>So index is twice as fast as subscript on an IBM mainframe.
>>
>>... with these particular compiler options and that particular machine
>>configuration and the other load-of-the-moment.
>
>Modern machines have more than one CPU. Activity on other CPUs doesn't
>affect a timing
>test THAT much, not like the old days.

Mr Wagner, unlike other folks I try to qualify statements and observations
with the data known or assumed at the time of their making. Some folks
consider the qualifications relevant, others don't.

>>Now, Mr Wagner... is one to expect another dreary series of repetitions
>>about how mainframers who said that indices were faster than subscripts
>>were, in fact, right about something?
>
>I expected I-told-you-so from the mainframe camp.

It may be interesting to see if you get one; my point - and pardon the
obscure manner of its making - was that you made a series of repetitions
which a demonstration has disproved and it may be interesting to see if an
equally lengthy series of repetitions follows... or if it just Goes Away
until you next get an idea about something... and begin another, similar
series of repetitions.

DD