From: Dirk Bell on
On Apr 6, 11:04 am, Jerry Avins <j...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
> On 4/6/2010 10:03 AM, Dirk Bell wrote:
>
> > On Apr 2, 12:01 am, Jerry Avins<j...(a)ieee.org>  wrote:

> >> I can't legally bring a handgun, but I may bring a .22 rifle.
>
> > What's the problem with bringing the handgun?
>
> Even if I had a carry permit, it would be good only in New Jersey. Laws
> vary with venue, but in some states, an unloaded handgun in the car
> would get me a mandatory 1-year jail term.
>
> I will bring my rifle in parts. The action will be secreted in an
> un-obvious niche, so that the rest of the gun would be useless if
> stolen. I'm more concerned about a third party getting hurt than I am
> about any loss.
>
> Jerry
> --
> "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are 20 gods, or no
> God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
>           Thomas Jefferson to the Virginia House of Delegates in 1776.
> ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Virginia is considerably more gun friendly. I just checked both states
on opencarry.org.

Dirk
From: Michael Plante on
Jerry wrote:
>On 4/6/2010 10:03 AM, Dirk Bell wrote:
>> On Apr 2, 12:01 am, Jerry Avins<j...(a)ieee.org> wrote:

>>> I can't legally bring a handgun, but I may bring a .22 rifle.
>

>> What's the problem with bringing the handgun?
>
>Even if I had a carry permit, it would be good only in New Jersey.

FWIW, some states (e.g., TX) offer permits to non-residents, and yet still
maintain reciprocity with a fair number of states.

>Laws
>vary with venue, but in some states, an unloaded handgun in the car
>would get me a mandatory 1-year jail term.

The first page of:

http://handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf

has a reference to federal law that seems to allow most people to have an
unloaded firearm in their car, provided certain restrictions are met with
regard to inaccessability. Subsequent pages have detailed info on
individual states, but, yeah, coming from New Jersey, that's quite a few
states you need to pass through. But I'm not a lawyer.

It just seems kinda odd, since it's presumably possible to ship a firearm
from state to state (usu. to an FFL, is what I hear), and I doubt your
typical UPS driver has any particular license...

Clay wrote:
>> I guess I'm spoiled - I can shoot guns in my yard (legally!)

Must be nice. Assuming you mean for fun or practice, in all places I've
lived, this has been forbidden by the city, rather than the state.

From: Eric Jacobsen on
On 4/6/2010 10:13 AM, Michael Plante wrote:
> Jerry wrote:

>>> What's the problem with bringing the handgun?
>>
>> Even if I had a carry permit, it would be good only in New Jersey.
>
> FWIW, some states (e.g., TX) offer permits to non-residents, and yet still
> maintain reciprocity with a fair number of states.
>

>> Laws
>> vary with venue, but in some states, an unloaded handgun in the car
>> would get me a mandatory 1-year jail term.
>
> The first page of:
>
> http://handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf
>
> has a reference to federal law that seems to allow most people to have an
> unloaded firearm in their car, provided certain restrictions are met with
> regard to inaccessability. Subsequent pages have detailed info on
> individual states, but, yeah, coming from New Jersey, that's quite a few
> states you need to pass through. But I'm not a lawyer.
>
> It just seems kinda odd, since it's presumably possible to ship a firearm
> from state to state (usu. to an FFL, is what I hear), and I doubt your
> typical UPS driver has any particular license...
>

> Clay wrote:
>>> I guess I'm spoiled - I can shoot guns in my yard (legally!)
>
> Must be nice. Assuming you mean for fun or practice, in all places I've
> lived, this has been forbidden by the city, rather than the state.

Not city, rural. I grew up shooting guns in the yards, or the fields
next to the house, or down the road, or wherever. Everybody knew it was
different in the city.

--
Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
From: Les Cargill on
Jerry Avins wrote:
> On 4/6/2010 10:03 AM, Dirk Bell wrote:
>> On Apr 2, 12:01 am, Jerry Avins<j...(a)ieee.org> wrote:

>>> I can't legally bring a handgun, but I may bring a .22 rifle.
>

>> What's the problem with bringing the handgun?
>
> Even if I had a carry permit, it would be good only in New Jersey. Laws
> vary with venue, but in some states, an unloaded handgun in the car
> would get me a mandatory 1-year jail term.

In the trunk? In a locked case?

--
Les Cargill
From: Clay on

> Clay wrote:
> >> I guess I'm spoiled - I can shoot guns in my yard (legally!)
>
> Must be nice.  Assuming you mean for fun or practice, in all places I've
> lived, this has been forbidden by the city, rather than the state.

Yes I live in the country on a farm outside of any city. And I have
enough land to not be a problem to neighbors. Common sense must be
exercised of course. I can't hunt except for in season unless we are
talking about non native species such as pheasants and armadillos.

I have a group of deer than come through my back pasture at least
twice a day. Plus I have all of the standard wildlife: foxes, rabbits,
skunks, bobcats, cougars, weasels, etc. It is fun to go to the mudflat
by the pond after it has rained and examine all of the footprints.
I've seen all of the critters except for the cougars roaming on my
land. I saw a cougar dead on the road :-(

Clay

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Shenon's theorem proving